Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 front control arms non-serviceable

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:05 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Default 968 front control arms non-serviceable

Since I'm using my S2 on track, I thought it might be wise to re-build the ball joints on the front control arms.

I knew at some point in the cars history (I have the service records, but you may see why I didn't catch this) the control arms had been replaced. The part numbers noted in the record are the number for the S2 control arms.

Well, it turns out the part numbers for the 968 control arms are the same, but the part is actually different. This may be common knowledge (a quick search here didn't turn anything up), but several very good local shops, and a major Porsche used parts supplier didn't know it. Well, we knew the 968 part is different in it has "tabs" used to mount brake cooling ducts, but since the part numbers are the same it was assumed the rest of the part was the same as well.

The difference comes in at the ball joint. Once the old joint was pressed out, it became obvious the ball joint repair kit parts did not fit. The conclusion is the 968 ball joints are not serviceable with the repair kit like the late 944 parts are.

So it's cost me some new (used) control arms - late 944 style - but at least I'll be able to rebuild them from now on.

Just wanted to pass this along, in case it helps...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2

The conclusion is the 968 ball joints are not serviceable with the repair kit like the late 944 parts are....

correct.

but there's a few people out there attempting rebuilds of the 968 sets as well.

not clear however, about the results.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

who if anyone has the technical capability to rebuild the so-called

unrebuildable, uber-expensive 968 front control arm??

they're $618.00 per unit at Pelican Parts.

clearly this is not acceptable when we're just seeking to replace the ball joints.

I don't want to use 944 control arms. I want my A-arms to stay 968 oem.

we need the answer to this dire situation, and we need it now.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina

who if anyone has the technical capability to rebuild the so-called

unrebuildable, uber-expensive 968 front control arm??

they're $618.00 per unit at Pelican Parts.

clearly this is not acceptable when we're just seeking to replace the ball joints.

I don't want to use 944 control arms. I want my A-arms to stay 968 oem.

we need the answer to this dire situation, and we need it now.

Here you go:
http://eagleday.com/suspension.html
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Last edited by odurandina; 10-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by divil

awesome, thanks!!! that's a fantastic price!!

I just talked to one of the guys about rebuilding my actual 968 A-arms, but he's gonna call me back with confirmation.

if it's not the 968 oem arms, i'll just send them my cores and use whatever they have.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:54 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Eagleday is a reputable company but I'd be a bit concerned about reaming out any aluminum to fit bigger ball joints. Pre all the ball-joint rebuild kits there used to be a few companies out there doing this to regular 944 aluminum arms, I think only Eagleday remains.

I just cannot see any advantage to making the aluminum any thinner or to having bigger ball-joints, imo there are only downsides. If that's your only option for the 968 I guess that's what you'll have to do.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:16 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I originally looked up that company because one of my 951's control arms was a 968 arm. But it worked out better to just buy a pair of late offset 944 arms on ebay and rebuild the ball joints with the Rennbay kit. There's an abundance of them out there.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Eagleday is a reputable company but I'd be a bit concerned about reaming out any aluminum to fit bigger ball joints.

we think alike – as this was the first thing that entered my mind.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

In these modern times, my first call might be to Racer's Edge/Karl if he is still active. See my thread on the Racing Forum about my experience from years ago...

I realize that there may be new and more informed experiences, but I think everyone should be vigilant.

And as a side note, the front 968 brake air scoops can be used on other 944 family cars by installing with tie wraps. Works just fine.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
And as a side note, the front 968 brake air scoops can be used on other 944 family cars by installing with tie wraps. Works just fine.
A company called Frozen Rotors (http://www.frozenrotors.com/) also offers a bolt-on bracket to mount the lower 968 air scoop to the 944 control arm. It works pretty well on my car.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

jim ellis is 424 plus 14 shipping per side
Old 01-20-2020, 08:22 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Control Arms and Front Wheel Beariings

I need to revive this older thread.

After experiencing a droning noise that starts at around 45 mph, and the sound does not change when I take the transmission out of gear, but does change in tone when I change the loading in the front wheels by swerving from one side to the other, and the loudness increases when the speed increases, I checked the play in the front wheels by rocking the front wheels and tires with my hands at 12:00 and 6:00 respectively. There was a bit of play on both sides. So I decided to do replace the front wheel bearings. I have never attempted anything near this level of wrenching. Luckily I found Van Svenson's three part YouTube video posted back in Sept 2009 (
).This job is nearly done except that I am waiting on the delivery of new brake pads and brake pad sensors before I will reassemble.
Can an experienced 968 wrench out there please let me know which way around the inner wheel bearing seal should be fitted? Should the side of the seal that shows some of of the rubber seal face inwards (i.e. towards the engine), or outwards (i.e. towards the hub that it fits into)? In Van Svenson's video it looks like the rubber showing side of the seal should face towards the engine (inward) i.e. the side of the seal that does not show rubber goes into the hub (i.e. outwards or away from the car/engine). Please confirm that I have this right.

While doing this work, I noticed that the rubber surrounding the ball joint on my driver's side control arm is torn. I think that means I will have to replace the control arms since the aluminium control arms on our cars are said to not be serviceable by replacing the ball joints.
Going through this thread I came across a reference to Eagleday (now appearing at https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/re94a.html) down in Fort Lauderdale, FL that is offers rebuilt aluminum control arms for our cars for at $339 plus a core charge of $250 per control arm. I also read in this thread that there are some 968 owners that have misgivings about these rebuilt ball joints on our aluminum control arms. I would like to know whether the passage of time and miles driven have lead to a conclusion as to the advisability of installing EageDay's rebuilt aluminum control arms. If there are any 968 owners out there that have experience (good or bad) with EagleDay's rebuilt control arms, please weigh in.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM
will968
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

You can buy new balljoint boots and replace them http://rennbay.com/Ball-Joints/944-Ball-Joint-Boot.html

outwards (i.e. towards the hub that it fits into))
Yes, with metal lip on the outside

[-HUB-]
[___] --- seal on driver side, U.S. car.

ENGINE
Old 01-21-2020, 11:23 AM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Will968. Please note I have also posted my two questions on the 968 Technical forum.

I can now go ahead and reassemble the two front hubs.

How do I determine whether it is sufficient to replace the torn rubber boot over the ball joint or whether the ball joint itself (and therefore the whole control arm) is at the end of its life?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 968 front control arms non-serviceable