Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove e-brake cable from brake assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to remove e-brake cable from brake assembly?

my cable broke at the lever inside the car so I'm replacing the long cable from the lever to the right side rear wheel. i've removed the rear calliper and rotor and i'm trying to figure out how the cable disconnects from the brake assembly. I can't even see where it is connected.

anyone know? i looked at the haynes diagram and it's no help, it doesn't show where the cable connects just the rear brake parts.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 AM
OzGreg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed mine yesterday.

Not sure if I did it right (I am hoping there is a better way), but I had to basically disassemble the entire handbrake assembly to get at the little pin.

Buggered if I know how to get the pin back in when putting it back together.

Cheers
Greg
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 AM
OzGreg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a squiz (a look ) and it looks like you can access the pin externally.

BUT, I think to do so requires the removal of the drive shaft and drive flange/axle.

Cheers
Greg
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The cable goes from the lever to a junction just in front and middle of the rear axle carrier. It's a PIA to get at and its best to remove the chassis brace (on 968s) to get access. At that junction a second cable goes to the left rear brake.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The cable enters the trailing arm through a hole on the front inside, whereafter it runs to a lever mechanism below the hub and between the brake shoes. To access, you must loosen the brake shoes through the access hole in the rotor hub enough to remove the rotor, spread the shoes apart and remove/disassemble the lever mechanism. Since your cable is broken at the hand lever, you should have enough slack in the cable to pull the clevis pin end of the cable out between the shoes with a pair of needle nose pliers and disassemble. Pay close attention to how the pin and lever pieces are assembled. As an alternative, you can cut the cable where it enters the trailing arm to provide the slack as you are replacing anyway. Next, you will have to unclip the cable from the torsion bar carrrier tube, again using the needle nose pliers, and which will be easier with the aluminum chassis brace removed. The rest of the disassembly will be obvious at this point. To reinstall, you will need to unbolt the hand lever and leave loose until all is back together. Mike
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

ok thanks guys. i'm leaving in a few days and pretty busy I'll try and figure this out and if not I'll pay a shop to do it. I had a shop quote me one hour.....seems like a good deal if they actually just bill me one hour.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

anyone have a pick of the cable attached to the lever mechanism? a pic would be pretty helpful for me to see what it looks like.

Quick Reply: how to remove e-brake cable from brake assembly?