Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Troubleshooting Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:18 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Troubleshooting Help Needed

I have an intermittent problem with my sunroof blowing fuses, but only when it is hot outside. If the car has been parked in the sun and I try to open the sunroof it blows the fuse and all the dash gages go dead.

Initially the sunroof would not work at all, I completed the troubleshooting steps from Clark's and determined that I had a bad ingition switch. I replaced the ignition switch and things appeared to be working as designed. First day I drove the car to work and parked it in the sun, at the end of the day when I tried to open the sunroof it blew fuse 18 killing the gauges on the dash as well.

Drove the car home, replaced the fuse and all worked well again. In an attempt to try to correct this issue I have cleaned two of the grounds under the dash, I still have two more to get to, but does anyone have any thoughts on what would cause a problem such as this?

I did have the engine out of the car last fall to do a major reseal,
When I had the engine out, I cleaned all the grounds in the engine bay.

The sunroof is not the only electrical issue I am experiencing - when the car is hot from sitting in the sun the a/c / heater blower motor will only run in the #4 position (works fine on a cool day). My gas gauge does not work all the time, it only works when the car interior is hot from sitting in the sun. I have had the cluster out and cleaned the ribbon cable connectors and the "football" connector on the back of the gauge with no luck.

Any pointers what/how to troubleshoot these issues would be much appreciated. I followed Clark's troubleshooting for the fuel gauge, the sending unit works as it should. Don't know if the sunroof, blower switch, and the fuel gauge are related.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:36 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

check for bad connections in the copper strips in the central electronics, and check that the sunroof isn't binding in the heat
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

When you refer to central electronics, are you referring to the fuse/relay block under the hood?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

after 30 years, somewhere in this high H20 environment, a wire might be grounding out.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeffrsmith
When you refer to central electronics, are you referring to the fuse/relay block under the hood?
yes. I try to use the terminology used by the Porsche service material. I don't always succeed, but I try.

Quick Reply: Electrical Troubleshooting Help Needed