Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrating Fans - the saga has ended - the 1983 manual was wrong!

Old 09-07-2001, 11:39 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Frustrating Fans - the saga has ended - the 1983 manual was wrong!

As you may recall, I was having an overheating problem due to the fans on my 1983. The Driver's side fan would turn on low speed once the temperature hit halfway, or the AC was turned on. The Driver's side would run on high once the car was turned off. My passenger side fan would not work at all. My interior fan was also not working.

After countless hours of testing the motors, thermofan switch, and fan circuit, I finally brought the car to my mechanic. After leaving it with him almost 3 weeks ago, and stumping him and his electrical expert – I went over to his shop and worked on the car myself last night. I had gathered some more info during my 944 sabbatical, including multiple wiring diagrams and relay/fuse charts (including those from Haynes, Porsche, and All Data)– all of which had the three of us utterly confused and frustrated.

My problem turned out to be that all these references were wrong – even though they were for a 1983. I reversed the relays, putting an A/C relay (944.615.113.01)in slot #1 and a cooling fan relay (141.951.253 B) in slot #3 – and like a gift, the interior fan started right up and when I turned the AC on that obstinate passenger fan started humming. It seems the combination of changing the order of relays in the relay box and the relays under the glove compartment did the trick.

I am going to research whether I have a really early 1983 to determine if this is why all of the references (including the 1983 Porsche Owner’s Manual that shows the aforementioned relays in the reverse order) are wrong. I know that I am not the only 1983 owner who has encountered these wrong diagrams (other posters recently informed me of similar problems). I hope that the administrators, leave this post in the archives, so that 1983 owners in the future won't have the same issues as I did. In addition to the relay sequence being incorrect in the manual, some of the fuses seem to also be wrong.

It is through the assistance of multiple posters, that I was able to solve this problem. I know there has been a lot of static regarding posts and members lately, I believe this is a perfect example of how important it is to have access to a knowledgable community. My many thanks for your assistance -

Jeremy
1983 Guard Red

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frustrating Fans - the saga has ended - the 1983 manual was wrong!