Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stumbling acceleration UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking stumbling acceleration UPDATE

For those of you have have seen my whining and tearing my hair out over stumbling acceleration over the last year, you've seen my list of things I've replaced, partially for trouble shooting and partially because I don't have to worry about future failures in the long term.

One of the things I did early on was to pull the TPS switch and open it up and burnish the WOT switch contacts and verify that the TPS was indeed working. I also reworked the AFM and replaced lots of other stuff. I had seen a few comments that even though the TPS may test out ok, there's no guarantee that it's acturally working. Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Bosch TPS and replaced the Bosch copper plus plugs with some NGK plugs and installed them with Indexing shims. The car absolutely hauls *** now. FWIW, the Bosch plugs looked perfect when I read them (slightly tan and proper gap).

Just thought I'd share my hard earned elation and findings.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

You will remember way back there I had asked about getting those Bosch plugs out of there and going with the other wires and plugs right .

Are you coming in close any time soon ?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Yeah, I remember that and a lot of other info that could have been a factor in this problem. Anyhow, the TPS was the primary cause of the problem but I decided while I was in there, it was a good time to try some new plugs and giving the "indexing" a try. She really scoots.

No immediate plans to come your way, but will let you know.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which way do you have the gap pointing? At the top of the piston, towards the intake valve, other?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Yeah, I remember that and a lot of other info that could have been a factor in this problem. Anyhow, the TPS was the primary cause of the problem but I decided while I was in there, it was a good time to try some new plugs and giving the "indexing" a try. She really scoots.

No immediate plans to come your way, but will let you know.
Didnt you send your injectors to Witch Hunter to be balanced too ? I know you did a lot of work bringing it all in line.

I know you are having FUN now .
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Yes, I sent the injectors to Witch Hunter for rebuild. Also replaced the fuel pump, filter, checked the FPR and FPD, fixed all the vacuum leaks, new wires, rotor and cap, belts, rollers, all the front and rear seals and new clutch and short shifter.
The spark plug gap points towards the passenger fender which is where the intake and exhaust valves are located. Don't know if it's making any noticeable difference but every bit helps, eh wot?

Quick Reply: stumbling acceleration UPDATE