Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating a list of ''trust''

Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by banana944
I honestly don't post here as much as I used too. When I joined this forum, I was young in high school and eager to learn. Of course I asked some noob questions, but was smart enough to teach myself and utilize the functions of searching, and other sources of info (clarks, pelican, ect).

I agree with Techno that most tech questions can be solved by searching. But I do feel that this forum, should stay just that. A forum for people to come and learn and discuss. At this point, I have learned alot and could probably contribute much more. But i just don't have the time or energy to post. But at the end of the day, I don't know everything, and there is always something to learn. So I stay!

New faces need to realize that this is not a Honda forum. You can't expect to post a question and get spoon fed the answer right away. That takes away from the spirit of a tech forum, learning!

The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know. Once you realize this, the real learning begins.
Well put. Love your avatar by the way, beautiful photo!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeremy, good to see your still around. Still have the car?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Jeremy, good to see your still around. Still have the car?
Thanks! Yep, still have it. Gets driven every once in a great while. I think I maybe put 500 miles on it last year.

Jeremy
Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

bump for a legendary thread......

all you nubes: this one is a must read.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by disasterman
It is important to point out that in the track, high performance and racing cars there has been a significant evolution of technology. Parts, equipment, supplies and setup have changed/improved and continue to do so. If you are looking up somethng on Rennlist keep this in mind. Further, race car set up, build, and equipment is dramatically different than 5 years ago let alone 10 to 15. If you have seen a well set up/winning car at the track, that is the car to emulate and they are few and far between by region.

V8's are the same story, even in the last year and half since I built my car the suppliers, parts and technology are vastly developed and different.

There is no substitute for a few hours researching a subject to gain perspective and figure out which is wheat and which is chaff. There are very few who's knowledge is beyond question on all subjects. The beauty of the open forum is a variety of perspectives from racers to street tuners and doctors to mechanics.
DM,

we seem to have lost our prime v8 swap parts source. kinda not super surprised.... but just a 3 or 4 years ago, the best parts source seemed 'all in.' how quickly things change.

The 4 or 5 main v8 threads also seem 'long gone' with no new blood to take their place. Crazy!! anyway, can you think of anything from Eric's former parts catalog that we should be thinking of stocking as spare parts?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

what's going on here?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
I understand what your saying reimu, but I'm just trying to give my help to this site.... changing a tps for nothing.... no fun..... changing a isv for nothing... no fun....
its fun... just cost a lot of cash for nothing
There is a difference between a mechanic and a parts changer. A mechanical c takes the time and trouble to diagnose issues that can be caused by numerous individual components.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

While expert answers are always welcome and appreciated, when I post I'm looking for anyone's and everyone's experiences. Here and on any other forums I visit. I'm aware it's almost impossible to always remotely diagnose issues correctly, the best that you can hope for is guidance and idea's of where to investigate issues yourself.

I almost always already have an idea of what's wrong, and what is needing to be done. I use the forum as a sounding board to test how valid my idea's may be, and I'm also looking for anything else it COULD be, things I need to look at farther. A single issue can have so many different causes you never know WHO'S going to have the key to your issue. I collect all the different answers, make a game plan, and start testing to see what's most likely MY answer.

I mean, how many different reasons could you have for an idle issue? Or an overheating issue? A cutting out issue? 10? 20? 30? Posting up what you've already tested or tired does narrow it down, but there are still many things it COULD be. Many times my issues haven't been what was the most common response, or even anything anyone responded. But I was often able to narrow it down to find the issue thanks to the idea's that were thrown out, and that I was able to eliminate as possible causes.

So anyway, no circle of "trust" for me. My answer could come from anyone.

Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by 951Dreams; 06-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:03 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Circumstamces, car purchase mistakes and sheer dumb luck have illuminated my next car path. I have a daily drive (truck to fetch parts and tow cars). I also have wonderful stock powerful cars: a Porsche 996 and a Corvette ZR-1.

I want to get back into autocrossing and do some track days too. I purchased a cheap 951, but it ended up having a washed title. It needed way more work than I was willing to spend given the title history. I traded it for a fairly nice high mileage 944. It's a great car and I will start taking it out as is. I did get some boxster 17s with rs3s on them. I'm going to paint and install them soon. Previous owner had cayenne 18s on it. I returned them and will have 86 951 phone dials for sale soon with new hankook all seasons.

So the 944 engine or clutch will die eventually. I was going to do a Miata v8 swap one time but you cannot fit enough tire under a Miata. You can fit way more tire under a 944. I love the ls engine even though I don't own one. When my 944 2.5 goes I'm swapping. I will start saving and gathering parts this fall. At the rotten core I'm just a car guy. And as a car guy too much power is just about right. 400 hp in a 944 ought to be enough to keep me interested and scared a long time.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

My 968 is pretty quiet.

Last edited by odurandina; 02-03-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:14 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
When my 944 2.5 goes I'm swapping. I will start saving and gathering parts this fall. At the rotten core I'm just a car guy. And as a car guy too much power is just about right. 400 hp in a 944.
you're the *****.

any newbies out there, should read the thread.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruh, you keep bumping this thread. bored? let this abomination die already.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
been here for 5 years now... had 3 944 since.

EVERYTIME I got a problem, I look on rennlist.

But a lot of time, I see responses from ppl, that do want to help,
but don't have the experience.

This can cause a lot of problems to the owner, changing parts for nothing, doing work for nothing.

I love reenlist, but when my car as problem, I need anwers from the good ppl.

heres my list from the ppl that can help on this forum so far.

I would like to keep this updated, to help as many ppl as we can.
You are dividing this forum in good and bad people. Based on what information, please? Someone does not know the answer you are looking for that person is bad? Someone that has an answer but you don’t like it, or just disagree, that person is bad also? Seriously?? I agree that there are some folks that just love to troll without providing any support, or just don’t have the experience. But this “good” and “bad” thing you got started here, no disrespect, goes a bit too far...
Old 02-06-2018, 11:47 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I am new here as I just purchased a S2 cab and found this to be an interesting thread. Being a masochist, I was into BMW's for a while and spent a lot of time on Bimmerforums. I understand the frustrations people have when people post stuff they are clueless about. I purchased my car without an engine and originally was thinking v8 but got a great deal on a turbo engine. On researching turbo engine swap (I do try and do my research before asking, unlike many others) I noticed 70-80% of the answers were pure crap, and I know nothing of 944's. I really do not have a big problem with that because they are at least trying to contribute. However, I can see how that can be a problem with people who are unfamiliar with cars. If I knew nothing about cars, after reading this forum I would not consider this swap.
The big problem I saw with BF, and perhaps a better list, is the people who do not contribute. What I mean by this is, people who ask for help, receive many responses but never bother to let the community know what solved the problem (electronics are very complicated). It got so bad I would check other posts from that user to see if they deserved help. I have not been here long enough to know if this is a problem here, I hope not.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creating a list of ''trust''