Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating a list of ''trust''

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, maybe a bad idea as a thread. If odurandina likes it, it must be really bad lol
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Sorry if i'm trolling , but i am just commenting as this happens on the 911 forum often , fortunately it does not happen on Rennlist as the people on it are of very high quality, but does happen on pelican a lot .. sometimes you have to say WOW !!!
That being said however it is unreasonable to come here and expect to be given the magic bullet that will fix all your problems every time.

The reason for technical discusion forums is to describe in as much detail as possible your symptoms and a discusion ensues . After that a hypothesis is derived as to the route cause .. If someone disagrees it is discussed further and perhaps a new hypothesis is derived based on further input. This is a process, not a place of " i have a problem .. please give me the correct answer for free the first time " Sometimes people are right sometimes they are wrong .. thats the way it is .. if you dont want to spend money working on an ISV or a TPS then take it to the dealer .. see how expensive that is ..

To say you want to make a public list of people you trust i feel is highly disrespectfull to all the members who try to help based on what they have seen before. This is a community like any other and if you are a regular reader and contributor , you will learn who has the wizdom and years of knowledge. Your method makes people NOT want to contribute as they feel they are not trusted and wont be heard , and that is not good for any community ..

All the best
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

note:

i edited my post to be extra crass, snide and useless over even the normal levels.

p.s. wanna see something truly sick?

watch Shane Back-dorian on this one (shacked 7 maybe 8 times)....

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/s...e-dorian_98631
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Often in business, we develop subject matter experts responsible for maintaining the most accurate "Effect/Cause/Solution" database.
I'd concur that (especially for new posters) an SME list is quite helpful but its creation and publishing would be off-putting to those not included;
despite their best efforts and occasional correct diagnosis.
To use a modern phrase, I'd fear a "chilling effect".
Should any member wish his/her own private, personal list... By all means.
IMHO
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
Often in business, we develop subject matter experts responsible for maintaining the most accurate "Effect/Cause/Solution" database.
I'd concur that (especially for new posters) an SME list is quite helpful but its creation and publishing would be off-putting to those not included;
IMHO
We may be in similar fields.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
We may be in similar fields.
I think we all are .. I manage our companies subject matter experts and the escalation process involved with utilizing that resource.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
Ok, maybe a bad idea as a thread. If odurandina likes it, it must be really bad lol
Originally Posted by odurandina
note:

i edited my post to be extra crass, snide and useless over even the normal levels.
Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
IMHO
theiceman said it well:

Originally Posted by theiceman
Sorry if i'm trolling , but i am just commenting as this happens on the 911 forum often , fortunately it does not happen on Rennlist as the people on it are of very high quality, but does happen on pelican a lot .. sometimes you have to say WOW !!!

That being said however it is unreasonable to come here and expect to be given the magic bullet that will fix all your problems every time.

The reason for technical discusion forums is to describe in as much detail as possible your symptoms and a discusion ensues . After that a hypothesis is derived as to the route cause .. If someone disagrees it is discussed further and perhaps a new hypothesis is derived based on further input. This is a process, not a place of " i have a problem .. please give me the correct answer for free the first time " Sometimes people are right sometimes they are wrong .. thats the way it is .. if you dont want to spend money working on an ISV or a TPS then take it to the dealer .. see how expensive that is ..

To say you want to make a public list of people you trust i feel is highly disrespectfull to all the members who try to help based on what they have seen before. This is a community like any other and if you are a regular reader and contributor , you will learn who has the wizdom and years of knowledge. Your method makes people NOT want to contribute as they feel they are not trusted and wont be heard , and that is not good for any community ..

All the best
J_AZ
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Even the experts get it wrong sometimes, ask any of the Pro racing teams, F2, Indy, GT, etc. It shouldn't dismiss you listening to them or discouraging them from posting.

I've gotton more out of this forum that I could ever contribute, read posts, make my own judgements is all I can say. It's a "discussion" forum, so let people discus and you can come to your own conclusions.

Not saying you do it but posts like "Help No Start" prompts an answer from everyone on this forum "Happened to me once, it was..."
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
kinda5150
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the funny thing is, the cars are relatively identical w/the same problems for the most part, but ...and that's a big but, the underlying cause of the problem is different for many. having spares of the most common problem parts is a good idea, as is finding someone near you who also has 944. me personally, i search, write down a list of common solutions, then test each to narrow down the culprit. the shop manual is quite useful, but also isn't the holy grail. research from the various forums and good testing equipment will fix just about any problem you encounter...at least that's been my experience ymmv. it doesn't hurt to know a master mechanic or two! (thanks todd!)
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I also see a lot of garbage question - "my car squeaks. Does this mean I should replace X?"

I've asked a lot of questions and you need to aggregate the answers to a degree. Are there certain people who I trust more? Certainly. But by making a list you may lose out on some quality answers.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
jc85G
Instructor

I don't think this thread was started to be disrespectful to anyone. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging those who do know what they are talking about. There will always be those who regurgitate the knowledge of others in attempt to guess correctly so that they appear knowledgeable, regardless of how the question is asked or how much information is supplied. A true diagnostician will know what questions to ask based on the information & symptoms given, there shouldn't be guessing, just facts. However, this is a forum not a site for professionals to give their knowledge for free, so be thankful to the few who do. Beggars can't be choosers. Ultimately its the responsibility of the car owner to run tests, provide the proper info and make the final decision on the repair.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

If you enjoy putting in the time and effort to work on the car, read up on things you don't know, and learn from more experienced enthusiasts in your area that like to wrench, then you won't need a "list of trust" - you'll be able to critically evaluate any input from Rennlist for yourself. These cars require a bit of patience, but you'll certainly pick up invaluable skills and knowledge along the way.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way i see it is that if you dont know the answer, you dont say anything. Or if you think you know the answer you'd try to help by saying what you think.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 PM
jc85G
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The way i see it is that if you dont know the answer, you dont say anything. Or if you think you know the answer you'd try to help by saying what you think.
I completely agree. If you're not sure or are just guessing you should say so. There are too many people guessing without a clue. That is part of the reason why I've avoided the forums for so long. Its frustrating to see wrong and/or misleading information passed off as knowledge.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
But a lot of time, I see responses from ppl, that do want to help,
but don't have the experience.
This is the problem with any public forum. Anyone can join. And it isn't just the internet. Some companies that specialize in these cars sometimes don't know what they are talking about.

I know I sound like a pessimist. However when it comes to safety or structural aspects of any car I never trust anyone on any forum, only trained professionals.

This isn't to say there aren't knowledgable people on here. There are.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
+1. I can admit to posting wrong info, or not saying I was unsure. But I usually try to go back and edit my post if that is the case.

Take care,

Quick Reply: Creating a list of ''trust''