Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My (re)build thread. [944/2]

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Baja
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, keeps the updates coming.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:14 PM
cybe
Advanced

Well, the locksmith came out - after an hour, he'd spent 4 blanks on the job, but I guess something's wrong with the cylinders.

He asked that I remove the lock cylinders so he can diagnose or possibly re-key them in order to make a single master key for the car. (Is there a guide for this? Removal of locks and ignition key cylinder?)

It's entirely possible that the locks are damaged, as I received the car with no key and the ignition switch dangling beneath the dash. Hopefully he can re-key it or whatever.

He didn't charge for the trip and time.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM
NM'87 951
Racer

Originally Posted by cybe
Well, the locksmith came out - after an hour, he'd spent 4 blanks on the job, but I guess something's wrong with the cylinders.

He asked that I remove the lock cylinders so he can diagnose or possibly re-key them in order to make a single master key for the car. (Is there a guide for this? Removal of locks and ignition key cylinder?)

It's entirely possible that the locks are damaged, as I received the car with no key and the ignition switch dangling beneath the dash. Hopefully he can re-key it or whatever.

He didn't charge for the trip and time.
searching youtube...

in german, there is a subtitles link apparently. He removes the lock assembly around the 11 min mark.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your work technique scares me and enthralls me all at the same time - you sir, are a brave man.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM
cybe
Advanced

So, smithy yesterday seems to have left the door with the working handle locked.. leaving me unable to open any doors.

After watching a video on removing the locks, I thought it might be worth my time to call the dealer and see, just for kicks, how much a key might cost from them.

$51.60, they said. Hah. Maybe I'm in luck? I stopped in with registration and ordered the Blank ($7) the Keycap ($7) and on Thusrday, they'll do the cutting. Here's hopin'!

Last edited by cybe; 07-21-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
cybe
Advanced

Okay. Ordered a key from the dealership, they got me a blank and then realized they couldn't cut it at the shop -- so, we re-ordered -- a dozen days and some dollars later, we have a MASTER KEY.

Here's whatcha get:

Name:  W4dJB14.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  15.9 KB

And if your dealer is nice (or screwed up the first time through,) they'll give you one of these handy, high quality key heads:

Name:  OremBhF.jpg
Size:  14.0 KB

Which does net you, at the end of the day:

Name:  tqcvXna.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  13.6 KB

Pardon the photo quality.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did they say they couldn't cut it? Mine wouldn't either because they said it would mess up their cutter, so I took to a locksmith who said they were idiots, and cut it for free.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM
cybe
Advanced

They said Porsche wouldn't give them 'the code', and that the key need be ordered from them directly pre-cut.

(The bag has 'the code' on it, under the sticky note).

I'd like to get a nicer key w/ bigger tab to use, and keep this one tucked away. One of the rubber-headed ones I think.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM
NM'87 951
Racer

You didn't say if it works.

Quality thread by the way.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
cybe
Advanced

Originally Posted by NM'87 951
You didn't say if it works.

Quality thread by the way.
Works in the glove box .. Works on the hatch .. works in the ignition!!

Does not work in either door, or the lock on the body behind the drivers handle. (What is that anyway?)

My total cost for the key was under forty bucks, if that helps any listers who might be facing some dealer oppression.

* and thanks, a little bit of encouragement means a lot.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 PM
cybe
Advanced

Borrowed a Motive bleeder from a friend, but it didn't have the proper attachment. Was able to fab one for $10.27 (and a junkyard audi reservoir cap)

Name:  BFuxRzBl.jpg
Size:  34.7 KB

Bled the clutch and brakes. Adjusted the squeal out of the alternator belt.

Cleaned up the pile of tools under the car .. I think it's almost time!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Lock on the quarter is for the factory alarm and uses a different key.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:42 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
No, you didn't offend. I'm trying to slap you into reality. Unless you like taking engines out and re-doing a bunch of stuff, reinstalling, and then repeat, you need to do this right the first time. I would study the FSM for every step. You should also have general engine rebuilding knowledge. Some things you can be sloppy with, most things you have to be spot on. It looks like you are well organized, so spend some extra time in preparation.

There are numbers stamped on the balance shaft covers that match the block. This is also true for the girdle. These pieces were line honed at the factory, and if you mix and match with other engines, you risk having the shafts bind.

I don't know how many threads I've seen where someone complains about lost oil pressure and it comes down to not using the alignment tool. I can't imagine trying to save $40 and risk engine damage or get stranded. You may be able to borrow one for free.

Do a search on this forum also. There are a bunch of engine rebuild threads. Some go into way more detail than was covered here. These tips could save you time and money.
Wait, he mentions in an earlier post that he has a 3 piece OPRV. It is my understanding that only the retrofit one piece and updated one piece, 944 107 035 11 and 944 107 035 02, respectively, need the alignment tool. Is this true? Can anyone find Porsche documentation that specifies an alignment tool for 3 piece valaveS?

From Clarks:
"One of the things that I don't particularly like about the new style relief valve is that oil cooler housing alignment is critical to prevent binding of the relief valve. To accomplish this an alignment tool should be used when the oil cooler housing is being installed. Cars which have relief valve 944 107 035 02 use special tool 9262/1. Cars which use relief valve 944 107 035 11 use special alignment tool 9215." - http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-02.htm

...Though honestly, I'll still probably use it when I put this NA back together.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 PM
cybe
Advanced

Actually got to take it around the block! Damn that felt good.

It dumped the entire contents of steering fluid (atf) and I had to stop let a spider out, the exhaust won't mate up to the header, and the torque tube only has one bolt in it.. and there's no hood .. and the doors don't open .. but I'm happy.

Hey, so if anybody's out there.. how can I get the torque tube to rotate a bit and line up with the bellhousing? I must've displaced it putting the engine back in, where could it bind?

Last edited by cybe; 08-03-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 PM
cybe
Advanced

Right, so I've addressed some issues..

Got a hood on it. It rained immediately thereafter.

Name:  8bexbej.jpg
Size:  61.6 KB

Having climbed through the hatch at the gas station .. I converted some Mk2 Corrado door handles to fit and reinstalled. Had to do what basically amounts to a trigger job on the door mechanism, (no photo) to get them operating smoothly.

Name:  qWe7lqs.jpg
Size:  47.4 KB

Hired some help to seat the torque tube and fit the exhaust.

Name:  veAnevj.jpg
Size:  74.2 KB

While the help slacked off, I reinstalled the moronic unit and door card, repaired the window track.

Name:  vnIncTg.jpg
Size:  74.4 KB
Then things got a little silly . . .

Name:  Z6nGYrr.jpg
Size:  46.7 KB

Quick Reply: My (re)build thread. [944/2]