Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HKS EVC IV Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:17 PM
rk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HKS EVC IV Install

I plan on installing the HKS EVC IV and a Lindsey wastegate this weekend. I read over the installation instructions for the EVC and I had questions that someone who's done the installation before can probably answer.

- One of the vacuum lines needs to hook up after the turbo and before the intercooler. Would this be the existing wastegate line?
- Another line needs to hook up after the intercooler and throttle body. Can I just tee off of the vacuum line going to the KLR?
- It only came with one pastic tee and it wasn't even the "barbed" kind (so the hose doesn't slide off). I tried looking for some brass barbed tee's at the local home improvement store but I only found plastic ones. Any suggestions on what to use?
- The vacuum filters that came with it are also not barbed and are tappered so it looks like they would slip off after a while. Anyone had problems with this?
- The instructions say that the filters need to be replaced if they get dirty, but I haven't seen anybody that sells the filters. Has anyone replaced their filters?
- Any suggestions for the location of the EVC stepping motor?

Any other gotcha's or installation info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-24-2001, 05:51 PM
porker
AutoX

On a very similar vein, I'm waiting on an ApexI AVC-R. I'm not really sure where to start without having the diagrams in my hand. Just thought that whil the subject was up, someone else may have done it???

I'm also getting the S-AFC fuel controller. I suppose there must be a way of connecting it direct to my lindsey MAF, but again, some pointers would be nice

Thanx,
Mike
Old 10-24-2001, 10:29 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Installation of the HKS is easy.Mount the stepping motor near the firewall, close to the battery.I put it where my cruise control used to be.One line comes in from your banjo bolt and goes to the stepping motor "in".You also need to tee off this line and run this to the top port of you Lindsey wastegate(or side port of your Deltagate or Tial).The other line runs from the "out" of the stepping motor to the other line on your wastegate.The manifold pressure line can be tee'd off the KLR but since the stepping motor is mounted in the engine bay it is better to tee off one of the cheap vacuum lines.That is pretty much it for the install except wiring it(12+ and Neg) up and mounting it. You might have problems wiuth the Fuzzy logic on the Lindsey/stock wastegate.The reason is that the fuzzy logic learns the boost curve.It will actually block the signal to the wastegate.When you block the signal on the stock wastegate it will overboost.Usually the thing shoots up to 25 psi so fast that you have to let off or, risk blowing your headgasket or worse......your engine.Unfortunately you need to make 3 runs to redline in order for it to set the unit up precisely.The reason I am mentioning the stock wastegate is becasue the Lindsey unit is using the same valvebody,valve and I am assuiming the same spring. Once the vacuum lines are disconnected..... the wastegate will stay shut for as long as the spring can hold out.I would ask Lindsey and find out for sure.You canb always emove your lines to the wastegate and check for yourself;^) If you cant use the fuzzy logic to set it up then you will have to set it up manually.This gets a bit trickey!

The bolt-on Tial, Deltagates and Racegates we sell open at a pre-set amount of boost when the vacuum lines are disconnected.You can order different springs to get different pre-set boost pressures.Once you hook up the Electronic or Manual controller you can run any amount of boost.

The Apex-i controller should be set-up the same way as the HKS unit as far as vacuum lines go. Wiring the thing up can be a bit complicated. Programming can be even more complicated.I beleive the Fuzzy logic feature that the Apex-i uses is similiar to the HKS version which causes the car to overboost(with a stock wastegate).

About the S-AFC.....The super AFC works in conjunction with the existing stock air-metering device on your car.You have replaced this device with a mass-flow system. It will not be able to work with this hot-wire new sensor. Didnt your kit come with the MAC2 or something to that effect? Isnt this thing doing its job for you? We use the ARC2 with our massflow system.It is very similiar to the S-AFC except it is does not have digital displays and all the other bells and whistles.What is does have is .....temperature, altitude and barometric compensation so you can always be assured of stock drivability no matter where you go.It has a signal conditioner built in that converts the mass-air signal to a signal which the DME can understand and use.This means no extra chips to buy ever! It doesnt matter if you change out injectors,turbos,cams,etc.... you just re-adjust the ubit.The ARC2 uses three ***** to adjust the air/fuel ratio over the entire curve and also has another **** for acceleration enrichment! This feature is what blows away the other kits on the market! It povides the car with incredible throttle response. If you are not getting super crisp throttle response with your mass-air system then send it back and give us a call to get the real deal. Maybe making 420 horsepower and 515 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels @ 18 psi with this system will change your mind:^)

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com

Quick Reply: HKS EVC IV Install