Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 5.0 in 944?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 11:50 PM
CA944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford 5.0 in 944?

Anyone ever done it or know where I can get an adapter plate to the Trans? I know they sell the parts for a Chvy conversion but the Ford is cheaper, lighter and easier. Its all plug and play.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:59 PM
944LT1
Racer

Renegade is the only provider for 944 kits and its chevy only. What makes you think the ford would be more plug and play than Chevrolet?
<a href="http://www.easyfoto.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=261571&uid=129677" target="_blank">http://www.easyfoto.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=261571&uid=129677</a>
Old 02-06-2002, 12:05 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dropping a 5.0 motor into the 944 is absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand why you can't just buy a 5.0 Mustang and not bastardize a Porsche. Chevy is one thing, Ford is QUITE another...
Old 02-06-2002, 12:16 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea I'm not a Ford person either, and Ford is not cheaper, lighter...I don't know about that one..if it is it ain't by much, easier and plug and play...I would say pretty much the same dept.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Paladin..
Track Day

This is just a personal opinion, but: I've seen so many damn questions about hacking up 944's to put v8's in them...WHY!!!!!!!!....I think they should have their own damn board, so we don't have to hear about how a nice series of cars is being bastardized. Then again....it's just my opinion....
Old 02-06-2002, 12:51 AM
sd01
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Ditto! No offense to the original poster, of course. But IMO, keep a 944 a "real 944" at all costs!
Old 02-06-2002, 01:18 AM
944LT1
Racer

My car doesnt give a rats *** what engine is torqueing the tube. I know of three 944 cars that could be had for less than 1000 each because they dont run and are rotting in a field. My opinion is guys that make such purist statements need to realize......its just a car!
Old 02-06-2002, 01:47 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

it always has to go this way - installing a push-rod motor seems like an interesting project, but that's all it is: "interesting" and no more. besides, i was under the impression that a regular 944 8v engine isn't *that* expensive. of course, if the goal is save money, putting another one in will still be a cash outlay, not as great perhaps, but still. then there's always figuring out how much just a regular rebuild would cost too. what is the goal here, cash or ?

oh well, those who can offer support go for it. otherwise i'll just stay out of it. call me a purist, whatever. never really been a fan of american engine tech. but then again, you guys could always try putting a honda engine in there and see what happens. not.

keeping it real.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:49 AM
MAS
Racer

The main problem with putting a 5.0 liter engine in a 944 is the large increase in front end weight, due of course, to the Ford engine. If you're not too worried about the car's handling and/or balance, then go for it.

-MAS
Old 02-06-2002, 05:54 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Great, the can of worms has been opened again! I was criticized for my conversion even though
I prefered to keep a Porsche engine in my Porsche. I was just my preference to keep it porsche. The name really doesn't mean anything though. All of the car companies people stand behind are no longer oriented in the same direction, look at the Porsche SUV. Unless it's a 959, 917, or a 427 cobra, I wouldn't be concerned about keeping it original. These are cooky cutter cars you know. Stamped out by the thousands with one thought in mind, Money. There are plenty of them and you can enjoy yours however you like. Thoroughbred (sp?) or a crossbred mut. Sometimes it's the muts that are the most loyal dogs you know. Yes I love my Porsche, they have a wonderment to them that I don't get with american cars, I love my VW too. But neither of my cars are original, they are cattered to my liking. So do what you like. They are just cars.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:55 AM
944LT1
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Roberto:
<strong>Great, the can of worms has been opened again! I was criticized for my conversion even though
I prefered to keep a Porsche engine in my Porsche. I was just my preference to keep it porsche. The name really doesn't mean anything though. All of the car companies people stand behind are no longer oriented in the same direction, look at the Porsche SUV. Unless it's a 959, 917, or a 427 cobra, I wouldn't be concerned about keeping it original. These are cooky cutter cars you know. Stamped out by the thousands with one thought in mind, Money. There are plenty of them and you can enjoy yours however you like. Thoroughbred (sp?) or a crossbred mut. Sometimes it's the muts that are the most loyal dogs you know. Yes I love my Porsche, they have a wonderment to them that I don't get with american cars, I love my VW too. But neither of my cars are original, they are cattered to my liking. So do what you like. They are just cars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahhh Roberto....we not only share the same name but apparently the same "comon sense"
Old 02-06-2002, 12:21 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never really understood the issue. In the first place, it's someone else's car; they have a perfect right to do as they please with their property.

In the second place, the 924's, 924S's, some 944 na's (and even many turbos, and some 968's) have depreciated to the point where fixing the Porsche engine may not be even remotely economical. Putting a V-8 in it may cost just as much, but at least the bump in performance combined with the challenge may motivate someone to spend the bucks to keep the car on road. Without this option, the cost of Porsche repairs & lack of uniqueness might well condemn the car to the boneyard.

It's just a matter of opinion, lacking any absolute right or wrong, other than the personal property rights involved.

Jim, "No matter what you do, someone will take it too seriously."
Old 02-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

On another note, a Honda S2000 engine in a Lotus Elise is what god originally intended, IMO. Unfortunately, <a href="http://www.suninternational-usa.com" target="_blank">Sun International</a> only comes close with a modified Integra Type R powerplant. Just imagine 1700 lbs and 240 no lag horsepower.

Of course if pedigree is your only concern, and you don't really care about performance, the above vehicle wouldn't make much sense I guess.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:52 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
This is def a can of worms. But I will still do my best to explain my feelings on the matter, not like anyone will care, but still I continue.

I just feel that if you modify a car you should do it right. This applies to putting a v8 in the 944, getting 450 hp from a turbo motor, basically anyway you have radically altered the car from stock. And how do you "do it right"? Well I'm glad you asked. Buy doing it right I mean if you upgrade the hp and torqure make sure the rest of the car can handle the change. Careful attention should be paid to brakes and the suspension.

The stock 944 brakes may work for it, but once you have double or tripple the hp motivating the car I think you had better consider an upgrade. At 944 Turbo hp levels, 944 Turbo brakes will do, once you get up past 350 I would suggest you start looking to something with even more grip. That may be upgrading to better pad, ducting more air, or maybe big reds.

Also the suspension is goig to be somethign that needs attention. Again look at the differences between the 944 and the 951, there were a ton of changes built in there to make sure the car was up to the task and the differnt wieght distribution. So when you alter the car be sure to change the suspension so it can handle it. Go use and auto-x as a test bed to make sure you don't have too much over steer or understeer. Talk to some "experts" to help you nail down the handling.

There may be some other things you need to do, maybe a strut tower brace and a roll bar to keep chasis flex in place, Upgraded wheels and tires, etc etc.

The reason the AC Ace being turned in the cobra, and the Datsun Z being turned into the Scarab worked are because of enjeneering, and doing a complete job not just throwing a big motor in a light car and being done with it.

Well that is all for my moring rant (this also explains why I don't like when a civic has 400 hp, they just can't handle it). Or those damn monkey bars, they are just plain stupid.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Robert Lavigne
Advanced

First off, if you are going to do it, go with the LT1. It is a far far better engine that the 5.0. With the exception of the opticrap and intake leak, the motor is near perfect (yes even for a pushrod).

In regards to the LT1 in the 944 chasis. My personal take is if you want the raw V8 low RPM power of a LT1 as well as the beauty of a 944 series Porsche, do what I did. Buy yourself both a 951 and a LT1 TA. Both of my cars have been modded to the point that they are about equal in power to weight ratio. And yes the TA eats 5.0s day and night.

Quick Reply: Ford 5.0 in 944?