Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have mixing...what does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 PM
lina944
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still have mixing...what does it mean?

Hey all,

Hoping you can help with my current situation. A little background:

I bought the car in mid-January knowing it had coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant and the mixture in the throttle body. The PO said that he had replaced the head gasket and the car was no longer mixing, and then two months later he had mixing again so he gave up.

I started by replacing the oil cooler seals and AOS seals. When I started the car there was oil spewing out of the camshaft assembly so I ended up replacing that gasket as well.

I put the car all back together and replaced the oil twice. I did a compression test before I replaced the camshaft seal and it was reading 180 on all cylinders. I did a block test (put the dye in the tube and put it in the radiator reservoir) and it was giving me good readings (dye didnt change colors). There is also no more white smoke coming out of the exhaust, but there is water in the exhaust. ( I read this could be due to the fact that the Cat is removed and there could be water in muffler)

BUT THEN....I opened the oil cap on the AOS and it appears that there is some milkshake in there, AGAIN. I did clean it out as best as I could when I had it out...My question is, is this possibly because I didnt get a chance to flush the radiator yet? (Properly, i mean. I did run clean water through it twice) OR is this possibly a bad head gasket again...

Where should I start?

Thanks in advance! This forum is a lifesaver.

- Lina
Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

what appears to be a milkshake is often just cool weather condensation inside the oil filler tube ...
Possible?
Any other symptoms of mixture than that?
any milkshake in the coolant expansion tank?
How cold is Orlando this time of year?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
lina944
Advanced

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
what appears to be a milkshake is often just cool weather condensation inside the oil filler tube ...
Possible?
Any other symptoms of mixture than that?
any milkshake in the coolant expansion tank?
How cold is Orlando this time of year?
I actually read about the normal condensation and the fact that the weather in orlando for the past three days went from 45 - 80 right now, it's more reassuring. The fact that this problem existed before is what concerns me...And no in the coolant expansion tank there is only water and some residue of oil because I havent gotten a chance to fully flush it out yet.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

is the oil dipstick covered in oil milkshake ?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
lina944
Advanced

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
is the oil dipstick covered in oil milkshake ?
I can't really tell if the oil is extra ligh because its new oil. It just seems really light at this time...not sure if its a milkshake though. I'm probably going to drive it a couple more times and drain the oil again to see that way
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Change your oil, if its black then you have condensation, take her for long drives. If you do short trip like me (5miles a day or so) then you get this often until temps are above 65+. I took my oil cap off and had a huge glob of milkshake paste, drained the oil and it was black. Also I deleted my cat and one day it rained, it took me a long long trip to get the condensation out. I drove for close to an hour to get it all out.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will also have a bit of coolant evaping for a little bit and it will show on the oil cap. Drive it and get the oil up to temp a few times then change it.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
lina944
Advanced

Thanks for the peace of mind guys. I think that I should be in the clear but will only know for sure once I drive it a little and change the oil again. I'll let you know what happens!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

drive it. if steam comes out the back, drain the coolant and run Blue Devil.

if you got less than a big toxic cloud back there, then drain the coolant and add STEEL SEAL.....

stop worrywarting about a few droplets of moisture in the oil.

check the o-rings.... mostly drive it hard.

and if and when the f_cking thing explodes (a day that is foreordained) pull it.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 PM
lina944
Advanced

Originally Posted by odurandina
drive it. if steam comes out the back, drain the coolant and run Blue Devil.

and when the f_cking thing explodes, pull it.
Drove it for a little today and no steam appears to be comin out. And actually I have a small oil leak and the oil is coming out good!! Never thought I'd be happy about an oil leak lol

Quick Reply: Still have mixing...what does it mean?