Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 10:47 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Powder Coating?

I think I am going to buy a powder coating gun, an old oven, and try to powder coat some of the stuff on my car while it is off of my car.

So...a few questions before I make the plunge...do parts need to be media blasted before they are coated? Could they just be cleaned and sanded instead? I don't want to make this too expensive an additon to my already outrageous budget for my current project (I should start getting down and dirty tomorrow), so if I can avoid buying a media blaster and hood I would like to.

MikeB...how did you get your son's 924 looking so damn perty? Do you have suggestions for somebody who has never done this before?

My parts I was thinking of coating are as follows:
Sway bars
intake manifold
valve cover
springs
any other large metallic objects with no inlaid rubber (like the control arms) I can get my hands on.

I know I would probably have to mask off the screw holes/threadded areas on these parts...anything else I would want to watch out for?

This is the most economical kit I have seen on the internet: <a href="http://www.columbiacoatings.com/chicago_electric.htm" target="_blank">http://www.columbiacoatings.com/chicago_electric.htm</a> . Any other suggestions?

Any other parts I should be powder coating while I have my entire front suspension off, oil pan off, intake manifold off, some of the rear suspension off, etc.?

TIA,
Old 01-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ribs-man...Anything you can fit into an oven will come out perfect....If not it's easy to fix...You can do all the parts you have listed (except the sway bar - tough to get that into an oven)...The key, based on my limited experience, is making sure the part is CLEAN (acetone) before the application of powder...Really, it is not that hard otherwise I would have never figured it out

Please talk to Brian at <a href="http://httURL=http://www.columbiacoatings.com/" target="_blank">Columbia Coatings</a> and he will have all the answers...My results are proof of that...

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Columbia Coatings...honest

May the force be with you...(don't know why I wanted to add that)
Old 01-31-2002, 12:46 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Mike B:
<strong>ribs-man...Anything you can fit into an oven will come out perfect....If not it's easy to fix...You can do all the parts you have listed (except the sway bar - tough to get that into an oven)...The key, based on my limited experience, is making sure the part is CLEAN (acetone) before the application of powder...Really, it is not that hard otherwise I would have never figured it out

Please talk to Brian at <a href="http://httURL=http://www.columbiacoatings.com/" target="_blank">Columbia Coatings</a> and he will have all the answers...My results are proof of that...

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Columbia Coatings...honest

May the force be with you...(don't know why I wanted to add that)</strong><hr></blockquote>

So the media blasting isn't necessary...just cleanliness. Cool stuff. I think my friend is buying a double range oven from good will for $20 tomorrow (he wants to powder coat half of his new B16A1 motor for his civic, so he is going halfzies on this powder stuff) so we may drill a hole big enough to slither half of the swaybar through in the top oven, tape the hole with some metal pipe tape around the swaybar, bake it, swap sides, and repeat (I don't need the center coated...nobody sees that except for me, and, well, maybe the track workers after I flip my car at summit point this summer). Thanks for the advise...BTW, that was the place I had linked in my post. I will give that guy a call tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:23 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would avoid power-coating any aluminum parts. The heat would destroy the T6 temper that 6061 aluminium usually undergoes. Not to mention that heat from an oven can actually warp aluminium parts.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:36 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I just got done powder coating most of my stuff for the motor. I did:

Cam Tower, Intake, all brackets and metal coolant lines, every bolt head, and probably a few other things.

1. Make sure it is clean, or you will get bubbles and such. Use BrakeKleen or acetone and get all the stuff off you can. Wash with dish soap and let dry.
2. Find a good place to coat the part. Also, test fit the part into the oven, and a way to hold it so you do not disturb the powder. Once it is coated, it is very hard to touch it up, and get a good finish.
3. Tape everything off that you can. Do not coat bolt threads or holes. I used packing tape, and removed it before putting it in the oven.
4. When coating, use about 10psi into the gun. Any more will spary powder all over the place. Any less and you are just dumping it on the part.
5. Make sure you have enough coating on the part. Trial and error will help. I suggest doing a few sample parts first. Too little and you get a rough and odd colored finish, too much and it looks caked on.
6. They say you need 400 degrees, 350 is fine. Leave the part in there until it has glossed over, then turn off the oven and let it cool. This way it should not warp. (I'll check my cam tower this evening. I did a 2 color job on it, and had to get it pretty hot this last time for things to blend. If it is warped, I have another, and I can also shave it a little)

Other than that, it is easy. I suggest you have the oven out side... the intake and cam tower will smoke like hell!
Old 01-31-2002, 06:03 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Perry,

Sounds like you have gone to a lot of trouble to get your motor looking nice. Have you got any pics of the results?

Wayne
Old 02-01-2002, 01:24 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Not yet.. still have not bought a new camera.

I am going on a Cruise mid March, and have used that to justify my new purchase of the camera! (could not tell myself it was car related)

I have not yet found one I like in my price range... but soon.. I swear. I need to start documenting the rebuild, so when I get the block from Garrity, I will have a camera.

Oh.. and as far as making everything as nice as possible.. I am. Might as well do it right and get it how I want it. I am in no rush, so that helps.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2002, 01:40 AM
Renntag
Pro

Thumbs up

Sounds awesome, I have planned to do much of the same once I have to do a major tear down. I plan on doing the rod bearings this spring. I wont have alot of time for beautification though.

Good luck guys.....post pics please !

Quick Reply: Powder Coating?