Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header and Cat delete, car now sounds like a Honda :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Cochezz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header and Cat delete, car now sounds like a Honda :(

Just finished installing a Bursh header and Cat bypass pipe. The car is very raspy sounding now.

Looking for ideas on replacing the rear muffler with something different. Anyone have sugestions based on experience. Looking for a deeper sound.

Also is the Porsche OEM muffler straight thru? anyone ever cut one of these apart? is there any performance gain in using something else or just sound.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cochezz
Just finished installing a Bursh header and Cat bypass pipe. The car is very raspy sounding now.

Looking for ideas on replacing the rear muffler with something different. Anyone have sugestions based on experience. Looking for a deeper sound.

Also is the Porsche OEM muffler straight thru? anyone ever cut one of these apart? is there any performance gain in using something else or just sound.

Thanks
Suggest you try the SLP Mustang resonator addition. It makes a world of difference. I can find the PN if you need it. I added it along with a generic 'turbo' muffler and it sounds nothing like a Honda or a ricer. My set up is deep but loud however. Some have said it sounds like a mean '80s 911 6 cylinder. I am considering going back with a stock style muffler with a electric activated bi-pass valve for those days I feel like a bad boy.

michael
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put on a glasspack

A lot of people here swear by borla (xr-1)?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cochezz

Thanks
Can you film the sound?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

resonator.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this; ^

you need a resonator and a large glasspack muffler....

despite that, in the overall scheme of things, the 968 variocam engine is still little more than basically an underpowered moneypit, to those who've heard this exhaust in the flesh, and while the video below, can't really hold a candle to the actual sound — the truth is out there..... and to learn how to make your engine sound bigger and cleaner, start @ post #42....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-heaven-3.html

(mine)...

and a couple of 2.5 owners who ran this setup....

Originally Posted by sTyleR

This should give you an idea. Setup is alike, aside from the car being a 2.5L 924S rather than a 3.0L 968. Cat removed, SLP hollow resonator added, and muffler replaced with a Borla XR1 (rather than a Hooker or Magnaflow here). Cut to 1:56 for the exhaust sound clip. How close is this to yours, Allan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPFk...layer_embedded
Originally Posted by F40LM

I took the plunge and ordered the SLP resonator and the magnaflow muffler. The muffler is HUGE and I decided to try out a smaller IMCO muffler instead. Have only driven it say 20 min so far but I have to admit....I am really impressed with the sound, the SLP resonator does really make a difference. I plan to do about 2 1/2 hours in the car tomorrow in mixed driving and will further report impressions if there is interest.

Michael

conclusions;

1. 2.5 litres is still a bit on the small side. in the end, it's hard to make it sound like 3 or 4 litres, but with the correct combination can be made to sound pretty good....

2. with the correct combination, 3.0 litres with variocam engaged can be made to sound like a 4 cylinder engine unplugged.

3. all that being said, overall, in the thrill/$$$$/mile, these four cylinder engines are what they are—
money pits offering mediocre sound and performance.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-22-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Ask about exhaust sound, get diatribe about how you shouldn't bother with the engine.

<3 Odurandina
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by odurandina

overall, in the thrill/$$$$/mile, these four cylinder engines are what they are—
money pits offering mediocre sound and performance.
Originally Posted by Fara

Ask about exhaust sound, get diatribe about how you shouldn't bother with the engine.

if you have a discussion about the sound without talking about the engine, then the discussion is incomplete.
you have a decent design with some serious flaws.... then you try to get a nice exhaust note from it....

VR Alexander's GT (a RL'er before his passing)....

Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I had a bursh header and cat delete with a stock catback, and I was embarrassed to drive it due to the honduhhh sound. I put a cat back on the car to mellow the sound, until I install my turbo catback with a magnaflow resonator.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Meine44
Banned

IMO replacing the stock exhaust manifold with a header is where you ruined the sound. You can't just slap bigger pipes at the front and at the back of the exhaust system. This will cause a difference in pressure throughout the system. For better performance (and sound) you need to have relatively unchanged pressure from when the gases get from the engine to the end of the exhaust pipe.

You need to increase the diameter of the whole system. Try upgrading to a 2.5" or 3" exhaust system.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Meine44
Banned

And I forgot to mention, increasing the diameter of the whole system will eliminate the need for a resonator or glasspack.

No matter what you do, both of those things will sound like rice burning.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Best improvement to the engine sound is by adding cylinders to the engine

5-cylinders sound sweet....
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

3.5 Cylinders sounds terrible.
Just FYI.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Best improvement to the engine sound is by adding cylinders to the engine

5-cylinders sound sweet....

8, 10, 12 cylinders just turns the damn car exotic....

now, obviously, guys run the most hideously obnoxious exhausts with their hot rod corvette engines.

but, it doesn't have to be that way.....

and the ideal sized pipe for a 944 is 2.25".... 2.5" pipe (absolute max) is already very big.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Magnaflow on my '88 TS with a Lindsey 4 inch exhaust, no cat, no center muffler, sounds great.

Quick Reply: Header and Cat delete, car now sounds like a Honda :(