Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake light stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Parking brake light stuck on

I went to get my emissions done the other day and they informed me I had to get my parking brake light off before they could test it. The parking brake has been broken since I bought the car recently and I haven't had time to get the parts to fix it yet. There doesn't seem to be any wires hooked up to the parking brake switch so is there a fuse or something I can remove until I get the parts? I have read that there is a sensor in the brake reservoir that can set it off but I checked my fluid levels and they seem fine. It is an '83 NA so I don't think it has any other brake safety features. Both the light in the dash and the one on the console is on. I'm a bit baffled as to why it's on so if there are any recommendations on how to get it off temporarily to get my emissions or a way to just fix it any help is appreciated. I have searched and googled and haven't found a solid answer anywhere yet.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Item #5 in the diagram below is contact switch, which should have a wire attached to it. I would start with this switch first to confirm that its connected and operational. If the light is still staying on after confirming this switch, then the fluid level sensor in the reservoir might be an issue. Not sure if anything else also triggers that light.

Name:  temppic.jpg
Views: 4053
Size:  70.4 KB
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just checked the switch and it turns out it isn't even there, the PO must have removed it. A wire is just sitting next to the brake arm that I'm assuming connected to the switch at some point. I'll try grounding the wire to something this afternoon after work to see if that will shut it off. My reservoir seemed full last I checked but I'll pop it open later too and see if the fluid level checker is just stuck or something.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likely this is just due to the lever switch. Try to by pass with a ground. Locate where the switch would connect and follow it. If your lucky the wire is there and you can connect the two to turn it off. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Parking brake light stuck on