Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default oil pressure sender

My car has had the oil-pressure-gauge-pegged-high problem since I got it - it would go to around 1 at "key on", and then about 1 second after start up it would peg above 5 and never move from there.

I did some checking with an ohmmeter - one terminal of the sender is grounded with almost no resistance, the other has about 890 ohms between it and ground (cold idle). From reading on Clark's Garage, 184 ohms equates to 5 bars on the gauge. I take this to mean I should never be seeing anything like 890 ohms if the unit is working correctly? On the other hand, he says nothing about what the other wire should show, and I can't tell which wire is which.

Anything else I can do before I replace the sender?

PS. I tried swapping the wires...that resulted in some new warning lights at key on that I never saw before but the gauge now pegs at 5+ all the time, even before I start the engine.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Senders die all the time. Just buy a new one.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

ok...I thought I'd probably have to do it anyway. I did notice one more thing...don't know how much this matters but I read in another thread that if the oil pressure warning bulb is dead, the gauge will peg high...

It is hooked in with the ! light. If that bulb is out or removed it will stay pegged at 5.
Well I just noticed that my oil pressure warning light doesn't come on with all the other lights when I turn the key - so I might try replacing that bulb first just in case, since I presume I need it anyway.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the bulb then the sender
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
ok...I thought I'd probably have to do it anyway. I did notice one more thing...don't know how much this matters but I read in another thread that if the oil pressure warning bulb is dead, the gauge will peg high...

First off, it's harder to pull the dash (at least on an '85.5+) than replace the sender...

Second, I don't believe that the bulb and gauge are related - because the sender has two terminals on it - one for the bulb and one for the gauge. They should operate independently... And if both are not working... than, dollars to donuts, it a bad sender.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an old oil pressure sender and wanted to know why it went bad...

Gunk gets inside or the potentiometer (?) is corroded.

Name:  Oil pressure sender (2).JPG
Views: 26515
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  Oil Pressure sender cap.JPG
Views: 6641
Size:  30.6 KB

I needed one locally at the last minute and it cost me $$$.

Shop for best price.

John
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

First off, it's harder to pull the dash (at least on an '85.5+) than replace the sender...
Haha yeah I read up on the procedure after posting that and I think maybe I'll just replace the sender to start with
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

So that's what's inside of those things. How primitive. It's a wonder they even last at all.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
Haha yeah I read up on the procedure after posting that and I think maybe I'll just replace the sender to start with
Turn the key to the position just before start and see if the ! light works.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Turn the key to the position just before start and see if the ! light works.
No actually it doesn't. I can't remember if that worked before I switched the wires.

After checking the manual, I have 3 lights that should come on at key on, but don't: The ! light, the oil warning light, and the alternator light.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

What does yall's oil pressure gauge on the dash normally read? Mine has, since I've owned the car (4+ years), consistently stays at the 5 line and occasionally drops a little lower than that. What's normal? I'm getting ready to replace the head gasket so if it's the oil sender is bad I might as well replace it while it will be really easy to get to.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

What does yall's oil pressure gauge on the dash normally read? Mine has, since I've owned the car (4+ years), consistently stays at the 5 line and occasionally drops a little lower than that. What's normal? I'm getting ready to replace the head gasket so if it's the oil sender is bad I might as well replace it while it will be really easy to get to.
This

A bit more info here

Usually they seem peg high (way above 5) when they fail but from searching the archives I've heard of a few that behave differently.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I should've known to check Clark's first, sorry about that. However, in light of what I read I'm pretty sure mine is bad, though I'll run the tests to be sure. I'll be ordering a few parts from Pelican and they have both the VDO $120 sender and also the FAE (knockoff) $30 one. Which would you suggest? I know the VDO is probably going to be a little higher quality but is it really worth the extra $100? If it is I'll pay it, just don't feel like spending the extra money if I don't have to. I'd also be willing to buy a good one off of someone is anyone has one laying around, even if it's used.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Well I just replaced my sender and it's working nicely now. I had tested the gauge as per Clark's Garage so I knew that was ok.

But I still don't have my oil pressure warning light at key-on, or my central warning light and alternator light. Maybe those bulbs are just blown.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
I should've known to check Clark's first, sorry about that. However, in light of what I read I'm pretty sure mine is bad, though I'll run the tests to be sure. I'll be ordering a few parts from Pelican and they have both the VDO $120 sender and also the FAE (knockoff) $30 one. Which would you suggest? I know the VDO is probably going to be a little higher quality but is it really worth the extra $100? If it is I'll pay it, just don't feel like spending the extra money if I don't have to. I'd also be willing to buy a good one off of someone is anyone has one laying around, even if it's used.
3rd time to post this picture, and make the point.
Rennlist sponsor 944Online.

Use the FAE, I would not buy a used OEM--it could be 25 years old and faulty.
Even if the ebay seller swears it came from a "good running car".

Name:  Oil Pressure switch 944Online.JPG
Views: 3978
Size:  34.0 KB

GL
John

Quick Reply: oil pressure sender