Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S died from highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM
951D
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S died from highway

Car: 1987 944 S

I was driving the car from the high way and it just all of a sudden died on me. Before this, the car was having a hard time staying at idle rpm. The rpm would drop below 500 rpm ( during neutral/not in gear) then it will rev itself up from dying. Here is a clip of it doing that, btw I did not press or have my feet on any of the pedals during this clip:

http://youtu.be/CdzJrZqtKk8

Then after it died from the highway the car sounds like this while attempting to start the car:

http://youtu.be/E60YpeF-8Nw

The engine will not turn over as well. Can this be a starter problem? Any suggestions will help thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

It sounds like your starter is spinning, but, not engaging the flywheel?

Maybe try pulling the starter to see if it may be damaged?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 PM
944meister
Pro

If it just cut out without warning, unplug and replug the dme. My old 944 had a problem with the connection and would just cut out on me while driving, it may be similar with your car. If not, check for fuel and spark, the poor idle could be a vacuum leak.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long have you had the car? Have you ever changed the cam chain tensioner pads?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

well it's not empty like the timing belt broke.

when was the last time you did plugs, wires cap and rotors?

the little clunk sounds as if the starter is working but it's not engaging to spin the flywheel over. pull the starter out and thte battery and run the starter to ground and tap the poles with power to see if it clicks, then the other pole to see if it spins. if it doesn't spin, id condem the starter. could do this in car but would need a 2nd set of hands.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
the little clunk sounds as if the starter is working but it's not engaging to spin the flywheel over.
Or, it is turning the engine over but there's no compression because the timing chain has broken and bent the valves, which is where I was heading with the chain tensioner question. Mind you, I truly hope I'm not right.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 AM
bordin34
Pro

I would stop trying to crank it over until I could rule out the valvetrain.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the idle problem is possibly a leak in the vacuum system .

you need to do a proper leak test on the complete vacuum system preferably with a smoke test with the inlet blocked off and engine off but you could use propane or something with a high flashpoint with the engine running but do it on a cold engine and have an extinquisher handy. You need to check all the lines and connectors to the inlet manifold and FPR ERG and the brake servo , oil stick, oil filla cap, injector seals etc etc. Clarkes garage have an excellent schematic under worksho manual - fuel & vacuum systems
Also search youtube for vacuum test

Regarding the starter problem first check the earth strap at the back of the cylinder head to bulkhead and clean those connections. Secondly check your battery is holding a good charge . Try starting with jump leads or with a battery Booster. also check and clean your connections to the starter motor .

The sound track sounds like the starter motor is damaging the starter ring on the flywheel. i would recommend that you remove the starter and check the starter ring on the flywheel before replacing the starter motor in case it has damaged the teeth on the ring

Last edited by peanut; 05-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM
951D
AutoX

Thanks for all the replies!
Ok, so as I imagine it would be something with the starter not working with the flywheel as many of you stated. I remember the chain tensioner pad was changed not too long ago. Just to be safe though I went ahead and tried to remove the valve cover which became a pain. A few of the bolts got strip as one of them broke, so now that one would have to be drill out. Went under the car to get the starter out and got the left(driver side) 19mm bolt out but the one to the right would not budge, currently stuck on this bolt. As for the idle I will probably buy new vacuum hose to try and fix this problem.

Peanut: you have some good information and I will look into all of the extra information you provided as well.

Pontifex4: I hope the pads did not break as well, or else V8 might be an option , although I live in CA so working with the law to get the car on the road would be a bit rough.

87 944 C: Plugs and wire caps were changed about 5,000 miles ago. I think autozone or some local auto store can test the starter for me. If not then yes I will follow your instructions.

944meister: Will try that too!

Thanks again all.... more tip/info if you have any will still be great!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:30 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There should be a small inspection hole on the front camshaft gear cover. This hole might have a rubber plug in it. Look inside, and you should see the timing belt. The hole is smaller than a dime, but you can still see the belt, and whether it's shredded.

I'd also go ahead and take off the upper belt cover, which is easy to do, and you can confirm if the timing belt is ok.

Then you'll need to check the timing chain in the head. You can do a compression test, or pop off the valve cover. 944Ss are notorious for the chain tensioner breaking off of the head, resulting in carnage.

I hope it's just a coincidence of a minor stalling problem and a crunchy starter problem.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bouncing idle could also be ISV (was for me). Could also be TPS or throttle not fully closing when trying to idle (also was for me another time after rebuilding throttle...).

Do you happen to know where the valve cover bolts broke? Those bolts neck down and if you are lucky (like I was) they broke on the neck and you can still grab what's left sticking out with a bolt-out.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 944 S died from highway