Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
Question Stock tire recommendation

I need to get a set of tires in the standard size 215/60R15. I'm looking for a three season tire that has better performance than a standard all season. I'm looking for a reasonable price too. A secondary requirement is that it may possibly used at the track in the wet.

TireRack only returns one choice, and it is just an all season tire

1) Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

Other searching has found these choices

2) Falken Ziex ZE-912
3) BFGoodrich Advantage T/A
4) Dunlop GT Qualifier
5) Goodyear Eagle GT-HR
6) Toyo Proxes TPT
7) Yokohama AVID H4S V4S

Which one of these would be a good choice? Or is there another one that I missed?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

What? No response?

I thought you guys like talking about tires as much as oil and turbochargers.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my Pirelli P6000's.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm on the hunt too. Looking at the Michelin Primacy MXV4.

Anybody had that tire before? Supposed to ride nice & quiet.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire Rack doesn't have much to offer in stock size for 15in wheels
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I need to get a set of tires in the standard size 215/60R15. I'm looking for a three season tire that has better performance than a standard all season. I'm looking for a reasonable price too. A secondary requirement is that it may possibly used at the track in the wet.

TireRack only returns one choice, and it is just an all season tire

1) Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

Other searching has found these choices

2) Falken Ziex ZE-912
3) BFGoodrich Advantage T/A
4) Dunlop GT Qualifier
5) Goodyear Eagle GT-HR
6) Toyo Proxes TPT
7) Yokohama AVID H4S V4S

Which one of these would be a good choice? Or is there another one that I missed?
I think you are on the right track as far as value for your money goes.

I put the #7 tires in your list on my car about 5 years ago. At the time I was driving the car alot (prior to putting these tires on), even though I was only doing 3k a year.

I now wonder if I should have coughed up the extra $$$ for the OE Pirellis or if I should have gone with the Falkens, I think the BFGoodrich were mentioned to me at the time, I don't remember hearing about the other ones. Also, at the time I was buying tires, the Falkens were Ziex ZE-512, not 912. I am guessing maybe they changed the model over the years?

Anyway, I have an 89 2.7L w/15" late offset phone dials and the automatic transmission, so I don't have a fast car like a 951, but I still have a Grand Tourer that is capable of high cruising speeds.

While I like the tires and their appearance (they look period correct and stand out very nicely with some tire dressing), I have questioned their performance with them being all seasons. I don't think I have more than 3-4000 miles on these tires since I bought them, and while I haven't had any "hairy" incidents because I drive normally, I have had some instances where I haven't felt confident with them wet or dry.

I wonder if it is just the 15" size, or the way they sit on the 944 rims, but I suggest that if you are not going to be doing much wet or inclement weather driving you might want to go sportier or stickier. I have had friends who had the Avid H4s on late model Maximas etc. in 16-18" size and I know they drove year round and MUCH faster than me and they never had a problem.

Either way, if I decide to spring for tires for this ride in the future I will definitely go with a stickier, sportier tire - it's not about the acceleration, it's about the top speed potential of your car. This is an area where you should look at value for your money when purchasing, not how much you can save just because you want tires.

I am also interested to hear other people's opinions on the OP's question as well.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to work at a tire store and I know a lot of folks were very happy with the Falken ZE 912, decent price point too. However, none were on 944's, but they should work well on your car too.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses so far. The Falkens do have a nice price. The only unfavorable thing I have read about them is that they wear quickly and can be noisy.

I don't really need a high performance tire. I already have the Toyo RA1's for the track, so I get my fill there. I just want something that will last and perform adequately on the street. I'm tired of buying track tires. I need a break for the regular stuff!

Has anybody tried the Toyo Proxes TPT?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioTurbo
I used to work at a tire store and I know a lot of folks were very happy with the Falken ZE 912, decent price point too. However, none were on 944's, but they should work well on your car too.
I have 912 in 215/60/15 on the front of my '44 currently.

No more tramlining (following ruts in road) like the BFG g/force before. Quiet tire, still hangs on pretty well. 40,000 or more mile warranty

My rear tires are going to go soon (also g/force) and I will replace those with 912 in 225/60.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the size availablity, but I am using BFG G Force Super Sports. I am very happy with them as an all around tire. I would not use them as an all out performance tire for DE's, but I'm sure they would stand up just fine for the odd event. (I won't track my 944) Yokohama avs sports would be my tire of recent track experiences. They are a great track tire, that still work well for street driving.

Quick Reply: Stock tire recommendation