Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolutely Stumped!! Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 PM
killswitch
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,was wondering if you checked the grounds under the dash? I recommend
wiggling harnesses,fuse box,ect... See if it induces any trends in keeping it running. This also maybe ignition switch related. If you have access to a power probe3,it is very helpfull with concerns like this. I do live in Modesto, have a pair of crank sensors,cant vouch for them though,got em off a 924s at picknpull. Best of luck- Randy
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 AM
VetteC5RFrEak
AutoX

Martin, I will spray some starter fluid into the intake next time I get a chance with the car and see what she does.

Fara, the fuel filter is still on the to do list haha. Might have to bump up its priority to sooner then later.

Car_Slave, I had started to adjust the sensors a few weeks back. I was able to get the passenger side bolt off the bracket. When attempting the drivers side the allen wrench started to spin inside the head of the bolt. So at that point I decided I would just put the passenger side bolt back in and assume the sensors were adjusted properly.

Stoogemoe, yea, like I mentioned prior, I may have to crack open the DME again here soon and further inspect the solder joints.

Ben951S, yea, I had lost the brakes temporarily ONLY after I had the car towed home and finally got the car running again. Before that there was no brake issues whatsoever. But when I lost the brakes the pedal went straight to the floor and BARELY grabbed. Luckily I was only going a few miles an hour and was able to stop the car before going through an intersection. Pumping the brakes brought the pressure back. My assumption is there is a bubble in the system. I checked it all visually for leaks and couldn't find any. I just haven't messed with bleeding the brakes yet. Getting her running consisitently is my priority. However, the 944 is a project on top of my Camaro, Cherokee, and Integra haha.

killswitch, I have not checked the grounds under the dash yet. I had only gotten as far as cleaning the grounds that were attached to the bellhousing and bulkhead. I still need to clean the one at the drivers side headlight, under the dash, and wherever else theres a ground. I currently have the ignition switch out of the car because I thought that might've been the culprit for not getting the full 12v at pin 4 like I read was supposed to. But I have even completely eliminated the ignition switch and jumped pin 30 to pin 50 which (to my understanding is what then feeds pin 4 at the DME) and still only get 10v at pin 4 even though pin 30 has the full 12v.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
VetteC5RFrEak
AutoX

And did anyone get a chance to look at the picture I posted in Post #29?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 AM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Brown is a ground on these guys...
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Stephen03
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****ty gas? I filled up once and my car was ****ed for half a tank until I figured it out. Would loose power randomly but atleast run. Your problem is much worse, good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Stephen03
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the connections on the AFM, When left disconnected my car would start but die instantly. Which after a timing belt change 100 miles away from home was a little concerning.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Porsche37
AutoX

Vacuum leak it sounds to me... Tach bounce??? I would get the complete vacuum line kit and replace all lines and connections, it's worth the few bucks. Also check the TB idle screw. KISS!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 AM
VetteC5RFrEak
AutoX

All right guys, sorry for the long overdue response. I didn't forget about yall, and definitely didn't forget about the 944 sitting in front of my house haha. I've just been preoccupied with getting my integra and Jeep to pass smog.

Today I went out and it was still the same issue as last time after cleaning the engine grounds. It would start then immediately die. Before cleaning the ground's I had replaced the AFM with a spare I had. Today I sprayed starter spray into the intake and the engine idled off of the starter spray remnants but if I gave it any throttle it would die out. I put the old AFM back in and the engine started up and idled and responded to throttle input. I put everything back together and drove the car up and down the street. All seems well for now. I'm gonna bleed the brakes tomorrow in hopes that it was just an air bubble in the system that caused my lack of brakes that one time.

However, I do have a further question. Upon start up the engine does make an awful sound. Theres no way I could describe it, so I recorded it. I have attached the link for the video I took of the sound. It sounds as if its coming from around the bell housing area. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0p...e_gdata_player
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 AM
thumpertrev
AutoX

Sounds like a bearing in the starter.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like your actual dme fried or drivers fried. find a known good ECM , plug it in and see what happens, try to borrow one?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

It kind of sounds like the bearing in the HVAC fan... the cabin temp sensor fan... I had one on my 87 S fail.

Quick Reply: Absolutely Stumped!! Please help...