Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Leak - What Will Leak - Oil or Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics. I was trying to figure out the coolant flow. If you were running an external oil cooler could you just block off the coolant from flowing in to the housing and then you wouldn't have to worry about the two ever mixing if there was a leak?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
nasty9er
Racer

Originally Posted by M758
I suggest an all new rod and main bearings if you get severe water in the oil. I had motor back in 2003 that had really bad mixing. Could have been from oil cooler or head gasket. I did not because it came in parts car. Anyway even sitting for multiple years I was able to clean it and rebuilt the motor and it worked great. However it needed alot of cleaning.
my bottom end was pretty clean when i pulled the pan so i was not to worried but i am planing on doing the bottom end in a few years so ill be replacing everything at that point

my coolant still look like coolant and same with the oil so i guess it could have bin worse
Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure you can block off the flow through the cooler chamber. I need to undertsand the flow through the block, but if you did it would welding up (or otherwise filling) the ports in the block. Interestingly the turbo unit still has water flowing through this area and therefore suffers the same problems.
I'm working on a replacement cooler design which will improve the heat exchanger seals and convert the system to a external air / oil cooler, similar to the turbo unit but with improved seals since the turbo cooler suffers the same problems as the NA.
This project keeps getting delayed but the plan is to sell a complete kit billet adapter with inproved seal design with turbo oil thermostat and external oil cooler.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andys-944
I'm working on a replacement cooler design which will improve the heat exchanger seals and convert the system to a external air / oil cooler, similar to the turbo unit but with improved seals since the turbo cooler suffers the same problems as the NA.
This project keeps getting delayed but the plan is to sell a complete kit billet adapter with inproved seal design with turbo oil thermostat and external oil cooler.
That'd be pretty baller Andy. I'm putting a turbo oil cooler on mine. On the turbo if the coolant just goes into the housing and back out I don't see any reason your couldn't plug the ports. Maybe not the best fix but you don't have to worry about a milk shake.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:47 AM
jbaeng
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very wet passenger side engine bottom from oil leaks. One from the right front oil sump gasket corner, I can see oil drops forming the with the engine running. The other has oil leakage forming around the oil pressure sender but it is fairly new and tight with a new crush gasket. There are two other plugs in that same oil cooler area and I resealed and tightened them as well during a wp/belt change. Figured I would just drop the oil sump this winter. Got the car running and found the leak around the oil cooler got much worse! I was getting about 1000 miles/quart of oil the and after the "fix" I get 400/qt at best. i love my car!!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a bad oil leak coming from that area and did not believe this part could actually leak oil because of the fact the oil is within the coolant bath. But mine was leaking oil from the upper forward area of it ( found through cleaning and testing for it ). Changed out the gaskets and o-rings and it has not leaked a drop since. It could not have been from anywhere else because that is the only part I fixed that day and it went from making puddles of oil to zero leaking. Never had any oil/coolant mixing whatsoever.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, resealing the oil cooler fixed a pretty big oil leak for me too (would only leak when running). I suspect the sections of the seal set that seal the OPRV or the oil pressure sender might have been to blame since it did not look like it was leaking though those threaded interfaces.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:52 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
Just finished this job this weekend... not terribly hard and I'm a novice.
Learned so much seeing in 3 dimensions.

Unless I'm way off, the coolant flows within the housing and enshrouds the oil cooler... Really allows us to run the car at high rpm's for hours with manageable oil temps. With the n/a engine having the housing right under the hot headers makes me wish I had the Turbo's external mounted cooler.

My oil leak was passenger side and drenched my sway bar bushings, control arm bushings and power steering boot. Driver side bushings are nice and dry.
Dripped oil from the oil cooler housing gasket right above the OPRV.
Verified same by degreasing & hosing the undercarriage; idling for 5 mins and looking for drip path. No milkshake but I was darn close by the looks of the seals. Another month and the oil nozzle o-ring would've failed thus introducing oil in to the cooling system. I'd assume the much higher oil pressures vs coolant pressures would result in far greater oil intrusion than vice versa.

Anyway, used Clark's and 944Foot2the floor... yes, terrific both.

1. We left ON the headers but removed the heat shield; removed PS pump and hose. Drained oil and coolant.
2. Bought the Pelican Oil Cooler seal kit for $36 and had everything needed.
3. Tested the oil cooler itself for cracks/leaks... tight. Installed a new Oil Pressure sender.
4. Thoroughly cleaned the 24-year old gasket gum/varnish off the block and the housing rim. Cleaned and tested the OPRV for 10 LBs actuation.

5. Changed the included gaskets and o-rings. Re-installed the Rubik's cube of the oil cooler & housing up onto the block. Slowly tourqued then inserted OPRV slowly. Re-installed heat shield. I have the '88 one-piece OPRV... and had to tap&die the threads due to a quarter century of heat cycling.

6. Loaded 2 gallons of distilled water and 4ounces of SHOUT to coolant system.
7. Loaded 5.9 quarts of 5W-30 to idle engine and prime oil pump. OC142.
8. Ran engine for 5 minutes with coolant bleeder open till fluid emerged.
9. Flushed oil and laundry fluid. Opened the coolant block nut to expel all fluid from block. Flushed another 2 gallons of distilled water to clear SHOUT and any oil from radiator system. Installed a 2nd OC142.

10. Reloaded with 15W-40 Rotella and 2 gallons of Zerex G-05 50%.
11. Enjoying no drips, nicenon-bouncing oil pressure and no milkshake fears.

Total net time: 6 hours... and yes we had a lift.
Thanks to Mark for his guidance and awesome set of tools.
Good luck!
Hi, mind sharing how many hours of labor did the oil cooler and hose replacement take you to do? Thanks,
Old 04-06-2023, 09:34 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 235 Likes on 203 Posts

11 year old thread, but I can comment that for me it took an afternoon. I work fairly slow and methodical (not as fast as if I were getting paid by hours in the book lol). 4 hours or so. I did not flush my system I was addressing an oil leak and not oil/water mixing. Figure another couple hours to do the flushing.

If you are paying a shop then I would expect it to be $500-$800 in labor ($100/hr assumption). All the more reason to do it yourself.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 04-06-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 02:50 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
11 year old thread, but I can comment that for me it took an afternoon. I work fairly slow and methodical (not as fast as if I were getting paid by hours in the book lol). 4 hours or so. I did not flush my system I was addressing an oil leak and not oil/water mixing. Figure another couple hours to do the flushing.

If you are paying a shop then I would expect it to be $500-$800 in labor ($100/hr assumption). All the more reason to do it yourself.
cool, I paid $1200 in labor and parts. I bet I could have gotten it for $900, however I was not in a position to save time or $.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Leak - What Will Leak - Oil or Coolant?