Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 924/931/944/951/968 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
pkt1213
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics. I was trying to figure out the coolant flow. If you were running an external oil cooler could you just block off the coolant from flowing in to the housing and then you wouldn't have to worry about the two ever mixing if there was a leak?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

89 Porsche 944 - LSD, script sport seats, rear seats, CS wheels
02 Audi A4 Avant - Quattro, 01E

Sappers forward!
pkt1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
nasty9er
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M758 View Post
I suggest an all new rod and main bearings if you get severe water in the oil. I had motor back in 2003 that had really bad mixing. Could have been from oil cooler or head gasket. I did not because it came in parts car. Anyway even sitting for multiple years I was able to clean it and rebuilt the motor and it worked great. However it needed alot of cleaning.
my bottom end was pretty clean when i pulled the pan so i was not to worried but i am planing on doing the bottom end in a few years so ill be replacing everything at that point

my coolant still look like coolant and same with the oil so i guess it could have bin worse
nasty9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
andys-944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure you can block off the flow through the cooler chamber. I need to undertsand the flow through the block, but if you did it would welding up (or otherwise filling) the ports in the block. Interestingly the turbo unit still has water flowing through this area and therefore suffers the same problems.
I'm working on a replacement cooler design which will improve the heat exchanger seals and convert the system to a external air / oil cooler, similar to the turbo unit but with improved seals since the turbo cooler suffers the same problems as the NA.
This project keeps getting delayed but the plan is to sell a complete kit billet adapter with inproved seal design with turbo oil thermostat and external oil cooler.
andys-944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
pkt1213
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys-944 View Post
I'm working on a replacement cooler design which will improve the heat exchanger seals and convert the system to a external air / oil cooler, similar to the turbo unit but with improved seals since the turbo cooler suffers the same problems as the NA.
This project keeps getting delayed but the plan is to sell a complete kit billet adapter with inproved seal design with turbo oil thermostat and external oil cooler.
That'd be pretty baller Andy. I'm putting a turbo oil cooler on mine. On the turbo if the coolant just goes into the housing and back out I don't see any reason your couldn't plug the ports. Maybe not the best fix but you don't have to worry about a milk shake.

89 Porsche 944 - LSD, script sport seats, rear seats, CS wheels
02 Audi A4 Avant - Quattro, 01E

Sappers forward!
pkt1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #20
jbaeng
User

Send a message via Skype™ to jbaeng

I have a very wet passenger side engine bottom from oil leaks. One from the right front oil sump gasket corner, I can see oil drops forming the with the engine running. The other has oil leakage forming around the oil pressure sender but it is fairly new and tight with a new crush gasket. There are two other plugs in that same oil cooler area and I resealed and tightened them as well during a wp/belt change. Figured I would just drop the oil sump this winter. Got the car running and found the leak around the oil cooler got much worse! I was getting about 1000 miles/quart of oil the and after the "fix" I get 400/qt at best. i love my car!!
jbaeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also had a bad oil leak coming from that area and did not believe this part could actually leak oil because of the fact the oil is within the coolant bath. But mine was leaking oil from the upper forward area of it ( found through cleaning and testing for it ). Changed out the gaskets and o-rings and it has not leaked a drop since. It could not have been from anywhere else because that is the only part I fixed that day and it went from making puddles of oil to zero leaking. Never had any oil/coolant mixing whatsoever.
Jay W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
gtroth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, resealing the oil cooler fixed a pretty big oil leak for me too (would only leak when running). I suspect the sections of the seal set that seal the OPRV or the oil pressure sender might have been to blame since it did not look like it was leaking though those threaded interfaces.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
944, cam, changing, coolant, cooler, external, leak, leaks, mkv, na, oil, porsche, rennlist, site, tower, tundra