Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark Cable Kits...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IceShark Cable Kits...

Apparently, something's happened recently, as I've had quite a few pms about IceShark battery cables. I had a thread long ago, but think a new one may be needed.

Dan Wray (IceShark) was a RL friend, yrs ago. I was one of a few who talked him into building a 944 headlight kit. It consisted of a new harness, Cibie e-code lenses, 100/90w Narva H4 bulbs, a much needed supplemental ground, & adj voltage regulator. It blew people away, comparing w/HID's. Over ~2yrs, prices increased to $400 shipped (cont US), including extra pr bulbs.

A summer or so later, there was a rash of underhood fires- several caused by cracked insulation on battery cables. For the cost of replacing all stock cables, he created a kit that (like the headlight) was overkill from hell At the very end, his price was $349 shipped. Some costs have gone up, some have gone down. I can detail this if anyone wants, but I use the same stuff, w/one or two minor exceptions- still the same welding cable, M-spec clamps, etc. My price is now $285 TOTAL, shipped anywhere in cont US.

A yr or so after Dan died, I bought the rest of his inventory from his family. I asked & received permission to sell the rest of his inventory here on RL. I've inquired as to sponsorship rates on several occasions & been told not to worry about it... I have no prob paying a sponsor fee to sell them here, but, in an entire yr, I might get 12 total orders & that includes some 968 guys from other forums. A website might increase business & I'm considering this, but still, my profit margin is pretty small & I don't do any other parts except occasional headlight harnesses ($200 + S&H when available). A friend does the soldering on these b/c I'm not a good solderer.

I usually recommend others for bulbs & lenses as I am out of Dan's inventory on that. Speaking of, I have rebought some materials for battery cables, as Dan had a LOT of some things & less of others. So some of this is STILL original inventory, but some is not. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but...

Here is what is included:
One 1awg main [+] battery to starter (EF)
One 4awg main [+] alternator to starter (EF/F)
One 4awg supplemental [+] from battery to fuse box (EF/F)
One 1awg (2-pc) main [-] battery to ground- (EF on longer)
One 4awg supplemental ground (EF)
Miscellaneous Hardware, etc...

EF = cable is covered w/ExFlex
F = fuse
The main cables that attach at battery have new military spec clamps...

These are the same quality cables Dan did. I didn't do it to try to top Dan, I did it to help fill a void- better cables for cheaper than stock. I think Dan would approve. Nonetheless, if you'd like a set, please let me know. PM me or whatever. I'm glad to answer questions anytime. I'll try to post some photos in the coming days.

If anyone here has any probs w/any kits they've already purchased, either from me, or Dan, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

At this time, I think I only owe two cable kits out there & am about to look these people up. One is a rear-mount kit I'm almost done with & the other is one that required new exciter & solenoid wires. This is sort of tough. Dan made the kits to pull the old ones through the ExFlex of the new alternator to starter main [+]. Long story, but there are options for worn out wires. I can also do larger gauge cable than Dan (which was already larger than stock) as well as 931 cables & am working on various rear-mount kits... Just PM me &/or let me know...

So far, it's been great working w/RLers. I've had a 944 Turbo S since late 99. It's had some up's & downs, but when it's running, it's something else. I'm hoping to have it back at full speed soon & will back on the boards a lot more then.

thanks,
Robby
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information.

Bookmarked

John
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Rick Ryhal
Rennlist Member

Hey Robby,
I moved recently and my e-mail address has changed. I also lost all my old e-mails. Please contact me. I would like to get my battery harness. I'll PM you with my phone #.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

I will be in contact for these. I love me some overkill :-D
Old 10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running a set from Robby for years now, and am extremely pleased with the kit.
Thank you for continuing this service
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Robby is great to work with i have all of what he is selling plus some extra all in my car and its awsome even with the new EMS i am running and all of the other electronics i added to the car.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm guessing that the recent for sale post for a $500 ice shark kit may have prompted all the PM's.

I'll be in line for one after my bank account and credit card cools off from my recent rebuild...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I'm guessing that the recent for sale post for a $500 ice shark kit may have prompted all the PM's.
I have no agenda, BTW. Apparently trying to save individual listers hundreds of dollars makes you an underground spokesman...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I'll be in line for one after my bank account and credit card cools off from my recent rebuild..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

I have a new, almost complete kit from Robby. It's quality stuff.

And I'm selling it too, PM for details.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

All you guys I've worked with have been awesome! There were no implications OR agendas LOL :-) I've been getting hit from 968 forum guys a bit too, lately, & it just seemed like a good time to jump in & renew an OLD thread. Partly b/c everytime someone PM's me, it's from seeing a thread 5yrs old & they're often reluctant, etc.

Rick- great catching up w/you tonight- sending my e-mail, etc to you now!

And Mr Rogue- I've been hearing a lot about some stuff you're working w/lately & plan to contact you very soon. I've been out of the game awhile & am wanting back in. A well-running 951 is soothing to the soul!

ModdedEverything- can't wait to hear more about your build as the car breaks in. Whatever happened on another thread, I hope all is well. You were cool to me & I know you've helped plenty of others, so I know you're a stand-up guy who means well, regardless of whatever happened elsewhere & I hope my thread here doesn't light any fires b/c it certainly wasn't intended to.

onspeed- if selling non-complete- you're welcome to refer whomever buys it, to me, to complete it if they want. I'm glad to sell one piece or complete kits. For ex, the supplemental ground Dan did was the biggest bang-for-the-buck thing he did & most popular. I hope you're only selling b/c you've sold the car or something & nothing's wrong w/kit...? If not, tell me! Also, whomever buys it from you, can STILL get support from me- as always & that goes for Dan's customers from YEARS ago.

Last, I'm not sure if any still exist, but years ago, there were a few people who'd sent deposits TO DAN, BEFORE he died. I will work w/anyone who can semi-prove they lost a deposit, just to honor his memory, etc. His family tried to find everyone & I think I only knew of 3 afterwards but will STILL do something for those, even though I did not have anything to do w/it at the time.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robby
onspeed- if selling non-complete- you're welcome to refer whomever buys it, to me, to complete it if they want. I'm glad to sell one piece or complete kits. For ex, the supplemental ground Dan did was the biggest bang-for-the-buck thing he did & most popular. I hope you're only selling b/c you've sold the car or something & nothing's wrong w/kit...? If not, tell me! Also, whomever buys it from you, can STILL get support from me- as always & that goes for Dan's customers from YEARS ago.
Car got rear ended and totalled a few days after I received the package from you. Was looking forward to installing it too . Just missing the alternator to starter (+) cable.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

OUCH! IF you're in the mkt for another 951, IceShark's nephew was selling his black Turbo S w/<40k miles. I PMed him to see if it's already sold, but it had all of Dan's goodies & more...

Many on RL these days, prob missed the whole era, so to let people know a little more about the kits, costs, etc:

They include a supplemental ground & a fused supplemental [+] cable from battery to fuse box- not stock cables, but additional. The starter to alternator [+] is also fused, unlike stock. The fuses add insurance, but cost me ~$20/ea shipped, so $40/kit! I use Royal Excelene welding cable, military spec clamps, adhesive-lined heatshrink, tinned copper lugs, ExFlex, & real copper (96%) nuts/bolts for fuses (like Dan- tough to find BTW) & include all hardware & rubber covers. I now ExFlex the longer of the 2-pc grounds. I'm sure Dan would be too, by now, as some stock ones had started getting heat cracks. USPS flat rate w/delivery conf is ~$12.50 & Paypal gets ~$10. I make a little $ but not a fortune. I just wanted people to know, that you get a bit more than stock cables, for a little less $. Less voltage drop, better grounding, heat protection, fuses, etc... I give a slight discount on complete kits, but you can buy anything separately. You can buy only what you need...

Let me know any specific questions, here or PM. I just don't want to alienate any RL sponsors, who've been very kind over the yrs to not trash me (or Dan) over this. I haven't sold THAT many kits from the beginning. If I could be more consistent, I'd love to have one of those small-sponsor tags under my name Maybe w/few other products, but it seems so many here already offer products for other areas of the car that I know I can't top, so...

Anyway, thanks for the all the positive input!

Last edited by Robby; 10-12-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Too long...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

PM sent
Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robby, pm and email sent! I'm in dire need of some Iceshark cable help! Thanks man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IceShark Cable Kits...