Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping sound under seat when in gear???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Thumping sound under seat when in gear???

Summary: When in gear at 2200 rpm there is a loud thumping under the passenger seat. Is it the exhaust?

I just had the tailpipe of my exhaust welded (see second pic) and I think the exhaust pipe runs under the seat? The problem started after the shop worked on my car.

What scares me is that the rattle only happens in gear and in all gears. Any suggestions? The sound is a rhythmic thumping as if something with mass is repetitively slamming into the floor board. I can feel the sound if I touch the seat. inb4 you need new tires

If I need to I will ask the shop to fix the noise.

Also, cool/funny photo thread!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:03 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I cant say about the muffler but it should be easy to tell with the car on a rack if that is the problem.

A thumping in gear sounds like it could be a drive axle is going out. If nothing apparent is seen in examining the pipe and muffler I would have a look at the drive axle and CV and maybe the wheel bearing.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Fintro11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what work did the shop do?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fintro11
what work did the shop do?
They just welded the severed piece, show in the first post. They also replaced a rubber support piece that was missing.

The thumping started when I left the shop. It was not there before. I just don't understand why the thumping noise is there only when I'm in gear. It could just be a coincidence.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

when I saw the title I immediately thought exhaust as had a similar problem in another car, and after reading what has happened before knock started, I think exhaust is most likely. The reason it only happens in gear is the extra movement in the motor under load maybe enough for exhaust to touch body, but not when motor isn't under load.

I would be heading back to were work was done and explain the situation in a calm manner, and more than likely, they will suss it out and hopefully fix the problem. Don't go in all guns blazing as it might get there back up. Most repairers will happilly fix these sorts of problems, as I know mine did, and I had to go back a couple of times, as problem reappeared, and the second time was several months later
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
when I saw the title I immediately thought exhaust as had a similar problem in another car, and after reading what has happened before knock started, I think exhaust is most likely. The reason it only happens in gear is the extra movement in the motor under load maybe enough for exhaust to touch body, but not when motor isn't under load.

I would be heading back to were work was done and explain the situation in a calm manner, and more than likely, they will suss it out and hopefully fix the problem. Don't go in all guns blazing as it might get there back up. Most repairers will happilly fix these sorts of problems, as I know mine did, and I had to go back a couple of times, as problem reappeared, and the second time was several months later
peace
Cyberpunky
Hey thanks cyberpunky I followed your advice and when they lifted it up we found that part of the exhaust pipe under the seat was slamming into a screw for a heat shield.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Good to hear it is all sorted

Quick Reply: Thumping sound under seat when in gear???