Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertexauto rebuilt waterpump

Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertexauto rebuilt waterpump

Just got a rebuild waterpump from Vertexauto. Quality kinna questionable:

It looks like dipped into a buck of paint. When I play around the screw on the blockoff plate, paint flakes fell off. There are paint dust in the odd corners and I am not sure if painting the roller is a good idea. That said, the roller bearing seems smooth, even though it is a bit hard. Is it the normal quality of a rebuild waterpump?

I start losting faith on Vertexsauto's quality because I received a set of Flennor belt from their belt and roller kit...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the studs dipped in paint also? If so get a dye on them or something, or more nightmares to come.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the paint on the pulley is the most troubling. Unless it's a real high-performance enamel, I can't imagine it will last, and you'll end up with flakes in the teeth of the cogs and belt. I just don't imagine that is a good scenario.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 AM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my waterpump replaced by PorscheDoc, Karl Wilen. I, too, ordered a rebuilt water pump from Vertex initially and Karl would not use it. He showed me all the paint everywhere, including the seal surfaces which is a no-no. I sent it back for a refund and used a rebuilt water pump that he recommended using because I trust Karl.

I would stay away from Vertex Auto for rebuilt water pumps and not use this one.

(In fairness, I will say that I've gotten a lot of other parts from Vertex and all were OEM and fine, so I don't have a problem using them for other stuff.)
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
carlege
Drifting

I have heard all the water pumps are rebuilt in house at vertex.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
yorkee
Instructor

This is retarded. Talk to their service department about the poor paint: "you are complaining about paint chip? buy a new unit."... " buy a spray can paint it yourself" were the responds. And they claim that paint on the roller has no ill affect on the belt.

As for the paint flakes and dust in the coolent in/outlet, their response is "what about it?" Are you mechanical inclined? because you are asking some funny questions." I am not as mechanical incline as them but I appreciated better manner.

Needness to say, Vortexauto will be out of my list.

That said, I got to give them some credit, the life-chat support has been very helpful. Thats what buy me to purchase from them in the first place.

Are there any reputable place I can buy rebuilt waterpump and belt kit without any trouble?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
carlege
Drifting

944 online carrys zimms rebuilt units that seem to have a very good reputation
Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

944 online for $119.00 I have always had good service fron Ian. However it appears his roller is painted in the pic...
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...ercooling-9441

Pelicanparts ( I have used this one) $109.00
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...9%2C%20Each%20

Or $95.00 at Zims.... two year warranty on rebuilt.
http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/944_N...ter_Pumps.html
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

You definitely have to tell them ahead of time that you want a Contitech belt and NOT a Flennor belt. They will send the flennor automatically in the kit unless you make a point to tell them.

When you call Vertex, talk to Sid. He's the only one I've talked to there. He was very helpful to me and didn't give any crap about returning items that I wasn't happy with.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Thanks for all the info. Should've ask you guys where to buy stuff first

After seeing the 944online pic, is it normal that they paint over roller? I don't want to accuse Vertexsauto for poor parts if its how it supposed to be.

It doesn't make logical sense to me painting over roller...
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

If you are concerned about the Pump's paint job, Just strip it down, prep and repaint. Should you have to do that ...No, but since you already have it, might as well.... Or you can just clean the roller and mating flange...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had two customers order pumps from vertex for me to install. They have both been crap. The first one the impeller was not pushed on all the way and bottomed out on the block. The 2nd one had the gasket surfaces painted, the impeller was completely corroded and merely painted over. I have refused install both times.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I've had two customers order pumps from vertex for me to install. They have both been crap. The first one the impeller was not pushed on all the way and bottomed out on the block. The 2nd one had the gasket surfaces painted, the impeller was completely corroded and merely painted over. I have refused install both times.
Noted. Great information on here. Thats what makes this forum so good.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My 924S and 944T both have Zims rebuilds... No issues probably put 75k miles on the 924S before I sold it, and the current owner is going on another 4 years since they bought it from me. I don't recall what the spray paint looked like when I got them, but I'll say they looked fine...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 AM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
See I told you! I was one of the 2 customers. Hi Karl!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vertexauto rebuilt waterpump