Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help 944 no power to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started another post with the picture and someone already said to just ask for a Botch 30 amp relay , parts store doesn't have teh botch brand but does have a universal four prong 30 am relay they said will work so I am going to get it in the morning

sorry here is a picture
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

nope car still will not start the engine just spins over :cry: :cry: I have no ideas left what the problem can be

but the relay did fix the power to fuel pump when cranking , when I let off the key to just on position the power goes out at aux fuse panel #2 fuse for fuel pump or at least the light tester goes dark. I guess that is normal
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
AScholtes
Pro

You can pick those up at any car audio shop My bet is that it is tied into an alarm system somewhere.. that looks like a common ignition disable relay.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

got one this morning put it in and it lets power go when key is in start position but car still doesn't start
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to go over the basics these cars are notorious for having unrelated issues happen along with something else.

Are you using the 3 wire jumper? Is the pump getting power (I mean have you measured power at the terminals not just whether the pump is on or not)

Spark? Fuel pressure?

You can narrow it down pretty quick by answering these questions.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by blown 944
Are you using the 3 wire jumper?
no 3 wire jumper I have a single wire jumper in fuel pump relay #30 & 87 and I used a single wire jumper at the 30 amp rely to test pump

Is the pump getting power (I mean have you measured power at the terminals not just whether the pump is on or not)
No I have not measured power or have a way to do it. I jumped the wire at the 30amp fuse relay and can hear the ump running wide open........... without the jumper wire it only runs when key is in the start position ( I did think these pumps where supposed to have power even at the on position of the key but it doesn't only start position)

Spark?
yes

Fuel pressure?
pressure unknown , I do have fuel at the fuel rail

I know these are supposed to be pretty simple cars and sometimes the simplest things cause the most problems I have gone back check over things some many times now I just can't see straight anymore
Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Ok
The reason I ask about measuring fuel pressure is that it can tell you if tge pump is actually working while cranking as well as what the pressure is. It is one of the first tools I recommend for these cars.

Let's assume you have spark and fuel pressure. There are only a couple things left, injectors, firing order, compression, fpr leaks.

These injectors often become stuck if they sit for any tome so tapping on them can free them up. Or you can pull the rail and have someone crank it while you watch for fuel
spray. Be careful and be sure to leave all hardware attached so the injectors come off with the rail.

Firing order is obvious

Compression use a gauge

Fuel leak at the fpr, you can pull the vacuum lines and smell for fuel.

It is possible that you have flooded tge engine. Maybe you should try holding the pedal to the floor and cranking it or pull the plugs and crank it over.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Also, you can start the car with the 3 wire jumper installed, so you "know" your fuel pump is on during cranking.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

ok I got the car started yesterday and it lugs then ideas up about 950 rpm (normal) and drove it in every gear it runs fine at higher rpm but lags or lugs and the begging of ever shift/gear . when I shut it off for a few minutes it takes a long time to start or longer then it used to almost like the fuel is bleeding back and it has to re-prime the system each time.

I also checked the plugs again numbers 1,2,4 look dark brown number 3 is black all for have fire. I did find number four wire had a arc on manifold when running so I made a temporary sleeve to cover that part of wire and it runs a little smoother but still very rough, I am going to order some new plug wires today I don't know if that is the problem but know it needs a set so hopefully it will help
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
blown 944
Race Car

It may be one of the injectors is leaking or possibly a bad fpr diaphragm relieving the fuel into your engine after shutdown. Do you have to press the throttle to get it to start?

It could also be relieving pressure back to the tank via the pump. This usually only takes a few cranks to get line pressure again.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

I pump the gas to get it to start and have to hold the ideal up higher for a minute so it doesn't die then I can let off
Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Sounds like it is adding fuel to the engine after shutdown. I'd look at injectors or fpr and dampner.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:16 PM
gonzoted
AutoX

What RElay was this. I am having the exact problem you had, even though you wrote this in 2011, and I'm not having power to the pump. I started a post under "944 no starting after hibernation"....

What part was this and did jumping this make your pump run?

I'm confused with HOW you got your car running.. your problem seems EXACTLY like mine.

Anything you can do to help would be golden for me. or tell me what you did to solved this problem exactly.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

The relay was actual up under the dash if I remember correctly but you just it in the fuse panel , sorry I don't remember what numbers to jump right off hand someone will speak up i am sure if not do a search .

the jumper wire runs the pump and bypass's the fuse then you know the fuse was bad just replace it

Quick Reply: help 944 no power to fuel pump