Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are you planning to do with your car this year (or next)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only what's required. Thinking about 944 torque tube rebuild makes me mentally unstable.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticSteve
Only what's required. Thinking about 944 torque tube rebuild makes me mentally unstable.
x2 (only because I've done a clutch and don't want to go back...)

I hope to do a tt rebuild, sort cooling system, install a passanger seat, and use it to drive away from my wedding.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get the race car done and actually drive it at some point.....
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by moorepower
ELLLLL-ESSSSS-WONNNNN.

Maybe next year, or the year after that, or the year after that, or........
maybe sooner than later. i'm stealing the best post in a long time

and putting down here as inspiration for everyone, starting with me.

Originally Posted by Hotshoe

It's not about cost. If cost or practicality is even remotely a consideration there are a hundred better options.

It's about something different.

Something only a gear head/hot rodder can understand. Its the shared kindred spirit to modify, hot rod, improve (or what ever term is used) anything with wheels.

It's about the satisfaction of rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty welding, grinding, fabbing big engines into little things. It's the same illogical, impractical, economically flawed thinking that spawned the Bonneville salt flats, the beast, lawn mower racing, monster trucks, open wheel cars, Monaco, the Mile Miglia, rally racing, the brickyard, etc., etc.

Some things in life you do simply for the pure pleasure of it. For some that means stuffing different engines into their favorite sports car. The fact that it doesn't make sense makes it even sweeter.

The only caveat is the same for racing. If you have to ask how much you can't afford it!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

mainly I want to get it on the track more so that I can learn how to use its full potential. Oh, and I will need to get the A/C properly sorted this summer or my fiancee won't ride in it

Beyond that, I go back and forth in my mind over whether to dive in to some of the big projects that would be needed to fully restore it (repaint the entire car, recover/replace dash, fixed back seats, harnesses, and roll bar/cage) or whether to just keep the maintenance up to date and start saving up for a proper replacement (996 or Cayman probably). Or there's door #3...keep the 924S and make it a true track car (cage, harnesses, new springs/torsion bars) and get a MB AMG (C32 or older E55? Maybe a CLK 55?) to drive more regularly. Only problem with that is that I would need to find a place to affordably store a second car, which is remarkably difficult in NYC
Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 AM
951red86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really want to take a road trip out to the prairies from the west coast with the p-car, about 30 hours driving time. I think it would be a great trip to cross the country in this car. I've read that it's not really a GT car and can be uncomfortable, but I've been commuting 1 hr+ daily with it for most of the past year and have been really comfortable in it. I think I could spend a couple of days in it... but I guess we'll see. Before that.. tie rod, brake pads, check out torsion bars for the low-ride issue... Also really want to do some driving trips down the oregon coast.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K27 hybrid turbo
Rod Bearings
Oil pan gasket
Oiling mods so I can feel good about hitting the track
brakes
tires
alignment

Everything but brakes, tires, and alignment start tomorrow

Edit: May not have my turbo in time... :-/

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 06-02-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I want to redo the exhaust, performance cat etc. Put in the Wilk Chip I bought, and then just drive it for a while.

BUT since we are talking about "out there" plans as well, a future goal is to find a decent parts car. An S would be nice, but any will do, and I want to see how much extra Hp I can get doing simple known VE improvememts. I'm not talking bolt ons, but old school modding that was once only done by racers or very experienced enthusiasts. I don't have to meet any "spec" rules, so I can do what ever works. I'm not talking about a full engine job costing $10k+ I've done that before. I used to mod my cars using over the counter parts, and modded existing parts, but mostly finessing the stock parts. This was way before "coil over kits" and bolt on turbos were readily available on Ebay for cheap. Heck I'm talking before the internet days altogether. 180-200hp would be my goal. If I had a 16v engine, I'd shoot for the low 200's.

I just need to find the right opportunity..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Finish the 2.5 16v turbo motor for my 924 (has already '86 Turbo brakes and alloy control arms, S2 gearbox), drive my race-931 Gulf on the track and drive my turbocharged 250hp '84 924 on the streets and track days and kick some LS-ed cars ***. Luckily there aren't any Porvolet 924/944-s with American V8 here in Estonia....
Next year start my 1978 911 S build (with 2.2 S twinturbo engine, haha).
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
no, no, you need to take all the water OUT to make it into a 993!
Doh! I knew I was doing something wrong!!

Originally Posted by t-cup
Funny how a $2500 951 can turn into much more.

Tim
Tim, your avatar is devastating!

Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Turbo a NA.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What do I dream about doing to my car or what do I actually plan on doing to it are two different things.

Dream about:
Swapping in a Supercharged 968 motor and a 6 speed lsd trans. Or trading in on a 993 or Cayman S.

Plan on:
Driving in good weather and enjoying the Short Shift Kit and Koni Yellows I put on it last year. NAd Regular maintnence.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

since my black car is running spectacular, i'm done with performance upgrades for a short time I think. I am enjoying driving it daily. This is the first time I can honestly say I am content with where it is. So...

my list on the black car

reseal hatch
redo tint all around
fix small exterior paint issues (really needs full repaint)
powdercoat the wheels black
replace the pressure plate

bring gold car home

get busy re installing the blower first I think, and see how much power it can make and drag race it a few times. i've been thinking about it and I would always be wondering how quick I could have made it. I didn't know crap about efi before and it ran a 13.55 up here. Now I (well Josh) can do quite a bit more so it could turn out to be a fun little stoplight car again. It's light as heck (400 lbs lighter than before) so it should be fun even with the 11:1 NA engine

not going to worry about looks on that one.....think RAT ROD.

That's my plan at this point..
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKYJACKASS

Tim, your avatar is devastating!

Believe it or not, that was the show winning car last year at Quail, one of the fancy-pants car shows during Monterey car week. I was there working a show booth... In any case, I saw all the winning cars go by on the way to the podium to receive their awards. Cars including the earliest Shelby Mustang in complete barn-find state, with Carrol himself walking over to talk to the driver (all this like 10 feet in front of me as I'm standing by the GT3R Hybrid you see in the first pic!), and then the Delage you see crushed in my avatar. Anyways, that car being the show winner was left on the podium all afternoon. So a few hours after the crowd cleared, I went over, checked it out, walked up on the podium, got another shot, then just as I walked off the podium, that big *** sign fell on top of it. Time stamp from my digital camera shows the exact same minute for these photos.

Crazy. Not a good day for the insurance company...

Tim
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

WOW on the pics above.

refreshed head
cleaned injectors
new seals everywhere
new clutch
new rod bearings
new coolant hoses
new belts/rollers
Synapse wastegate
Forge BOV
MAF kit?
shift coupler/bushings
IC mod at SFR
new boost hoses
new rotors
new wires/plugs
LR oil pan mod
LR steam vent
MBC or EBC
repack bearings
rebuild TB
braided hoses
clutch hose
get stuff zinc'd
968 caster blocks
delrin steering rack bushings

Track!

Hope to get started in July. I have more than half the stuff above here already.

Quick Reply: what are you planning to do with your car this year (or next)?