Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new seat(s)- Sabelt Duo

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new seat(s)- Sabelt Duo

i finally got around to installing my new seat last night. i was able to save headroom and finances by drilling four holes in the sidemount. (eliminating the need for adaptors and sliders) fortunately i had just enough room on the bracket for my 34in inseam. a matching second seat should follow soon.

excuse the cellphone pictures:

the seats fit both me and the car perfectly. i wanted something that looked "period correct" without breaking the bank. to top it off they are FIA approved and appear to be well built for the money.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NIce! I just got my drivers seat in my car today also. I actually welded up an H plate and welded the side mounts to that. Then drilled holes in the mount and bolted it to the floor.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Do you have pictues? When I was searching for mounting methods all I got was brief descriptions and pictures of seats. I can't help but think pictures of mounts my help future rennlisters.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks good! I have an older version of the same seat.

Mine were bottom mount only. I had some brackets fabbed and I am using sliders. Turns out these fit the sparco dimensions, so any of those parts can be used. All the brackets, mounting options, even extra seat cushions for sparco will fit these seats.

One thing I did find after installing these seats is having a QR steering wheel is VERY helpful when getting in or out of the car.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

not many pics but here is one.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Looks good! I have an older version of the same seat.

Mine were bottom mount only. I had some brackets fabbed and I am using sliders. Turns out these fit the sparco dimensions, so any of those parts can be used. All the brackets, mounting options, even extra seat cushions for sparco will fit these seats.

One thing I did find after installing these seats is having a QR steering wheel is VERY helpful when getting in or out of the car.
thanks for the info about sparco compatibility.

how has your fabric held up? how old are they?

does your fire extinguisher just bolt to the front two bolts on the passenger seat? think it would work with my setup?

i decided on a quick release hub the first time i tried to get in. i look forward to the steering wheel beeing closer as well. i need to find one that still allows the use of a horn and doesnt develop play.

Originally Posted by xsboost90
not many pics but here is one.
thanks. this was my original plan. i actually had material purchased but found the seats fit without fabrication. your side mounts must be farther back on your seats. your side mounts are bolted way farthe back on the floor (i originally thought i would have to do that as well)

does your sub belt go through the floor or just that bracket? is going through the bracket only a legal method? i figured i would just drill a hole in the floor for one and use an approved backing plate when the time comes.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that seat comfortable?

I like your shift boot.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

yeah the sub belt doesnt have to go through the floor. However i am now running a six point belt. The metal i used is also pretty heavy to take the load.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Is that seat comfortable?

I like your shift boot.
The seat is firm and narrow. At 6'1" and 175lbs I find it very comfortable. If I were much wider I would want the seat to be wider as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:50 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

The shift boot is from classic 9 leather shop.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

how has your fabric held up? how old are they?
Mine were manufactured 05, but were in storage from new until I put them in last year. So far they are holding up great.

does your fire extinguisher just bolt to the front two bolts on the passenger seat? think it would work with my setup?
Actually my extinguisher is not bolted to anything, have yet to decide how i want to set it up. Of course for now it comes out of the car when on track.

FWIW this is the QR that I went with (http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/P/RE_QRHUB.html). This will fit the momo hub adapter and momo wheel. Very well made and zero play. Great value for the price.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

thanks! i really like that one and the price seems about right. do you have your horn hooked up?

any pictures of the adaptor, quick release, and wheels all hooked up?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics.

I don't have my horn hooked up. Everything is there, I have just been lazy about doing it. All the metal pieces you see for the QR are machined, not cast. Like I had said earlier, the quality is very impressive, especially for the price. It can be released with one hand, which is a good thing. It only locks in one position, but is easy to line up. You can put it on in any orientation and just spin the wheel until it locks in place. One thing that you will notice is that the reach to wipers and turn signals is a bit of a stretch unless you have some really long fingers! This is true of just about any QR system though.

Quick Reply: new seat(s)- Sabelt Duo