Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Front Lows, No Taillights, High Beams Yes! UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Front Lows, No Taillights, High Beams Yes! UPDATE!

OK...

Sitrep:

When high beam switch is on:
High beams work. Markers and turn signals work. Brake lights work. Tail lights do not work

When low beam switch is on:
Low beams do not work, Markers and tgurn signals work. Brake lights work. Taillights do not work

I've consulted with my friend (search) and haven't seen anyone complaining about both low beams and taillights being out.

I have replaced the headlight switch and the situation has not changed.

Any ideas???

I'm aware that the "Problem" (singular) might, in fact, be "ProblemS (plural), so am asking for any advice.

Thanks In Advance!

Jim 1987 944S

Last edited by Jim 944S; 02-27-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Yarf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may be two problems, have you checked the tail light bulbs?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

have you checked all the fuses? I just spent two days cutting all of these wires out of our race car, tracing them and wiring them to switches on a panel. The switch gets a constant 12v and a switched 12v so the markers get the constant-they will turn on with the key off- but the lights will only turn on when the key is on.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:19 PM
fressssssh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a similar problem. Are your taillights working while you have the switch in the 2nd position to the right?(1st position-everything off,2nd position-parking lights,3rd-everything on)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...

An update!

Yes, I had the key turned on. The first question regarding a dis-functional toaster: "Is it plugged in?"

Yes, all the fuses seem to be doing what they are supposed to be doing (in the (no pun intended) positive sense.).

I neglected to mention that I have tweaked (with the supurlative assistance of Dan Wray (Ice Shark) everything that Dan offered to tweak the electronics in our cars. I found that the last time the mechanic had the car (last resort, I always try to do my own work) he had not tightened the two front light relays down to a grounding point. I did so, and now the low AND high beams both work. Now, in doing so, I pulled out the fuses and wiggled wires around and such, so who knows exactly what it was.

As I said in my first post and someone also mentioned: It might be more than just one problem. And so it seems in this case, for....

The taillights still don't work. Remember that the brake lights, back up lights and turn signals are just fine. I'll change out the bulbs in the morning and see if that works.

Among many other things, my ex wife taught college level probability and statistics, and as we all know... NOTHING is "average"! So, it is possible that both taillight bulbs took a dump at about the same time. I check them (reflection in store windows or on the garage door or wall) about once a week, but 'hit happens.

Thank you to all whose problems my search pulled up and printed. I bought a Light switch from Ian that I didn't need, but now I have a new one in that will last another 24 years (on the average) and a spare in case the new one defies the odds!

Again, Thanks!

Jim 1987 944S (Perhaps I scared the spirit of the Black Forest Elves that inhabit the "Great Mystery" into working when (holding a pair of dykes and a roll of lamp cord) I threatened the "Lucas Cure". Scares ME just thinking about it!

Quick Reply: No Front Lows, No Taillights, High Beams Yes! UPDATE!