Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt or roller noise? help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing belt or roller noise? help

I replaced my timing belt rollers and water pump 4 years ago with the belt. And then I also replaced the belts again 2 years ago without replacing the rollers and water pump.

I probably drive like 15,000 kms a year or less so in 4 years my rollers and water pump probably have less than 60k kms on them and the belt is only 2 years old and probably has like 20,000 kms on it.

I've looked at the belt with the cover off and it looks to be in good condition still.

also strange the noise I hear sometimes goes away i'm not sure if it may be the alternator belt.

I have manual steering so there is no powersteering belt.

the noise sounds like a faint whistling noise... it's not super loud or anything but you can hear it with the windows down also.

and my timing belt is clean no oil or coolant is leaking.

now I don't want to just blindly go and replace everythign especially the water pump as it's expensive and a bitch to replace.

how can I know what is making this whistling noise or what is most likely the cause?

thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone? how can I know if my water pump is going bad or if the tensioner roller is making the noise?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 AM
SeaGull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a similar problem. Searching for my noise for two years.
This summer I found out that the noise started when the cooling fan started, =more braking torque on the alternator.
It was the alternator/AC belt, needed more tension.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get a long screw driver onto what you think is the offending part, it makes an excellent stethascope. Place the tip on the housing of the rotating part and put the handle tip against your ear. If the bearing is running smooth and quiet you will hear a slight hum. If there is any issue with the bearing, you will hear the growl or whine very easily. I use a big screw driver that has about 1/2" shaft about 2' long.

Obviously, you must be very careful as there is running belts and other stuff moving in there.

Quick Reply: Timing belt or roller noise? help