Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 968 Climate Control Blows Hot or not at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche 968 Climate Control Blows Hot or not at all

I have an interesting issue. If I turn the climate control temp up to full and start the car, it blows warm air into the cabin just fine. If I lower the temp (turn the ****) to the left to about half or below, it will begin blowing cool air. If I then turn the **** back to the right to increase temperature, the warm air does not return. When I restart the car after turning it off, the climate control will again blow warm air until I repeat the above steps.

Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this or places to look? (I'm new to Porsches and 968s having just bought this car in April.)

By the way, the car will run cool until this happens. Then the temp will pop up until the thermostat kicks in to cool it down again.

Thanks for any ideas.

M Olsen
Eugene, OR
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heater Clip

Someone else will post more information
Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

It could be a bad control unit. If you need to replace it, get a later one or better still a 968 one. The earlier units are bulky and loaded with discrete electrical components. They might fit and work but they are bigger and IMO not as good as the later control unit. The 968 unit also adds a detent pot for temperature control. I am not sure when these units get smaller, 87 or 88 I think.

Heat all the time is usually a bad heater valve, located near the oil filter. It is good to replace this part as the OEM plastic part can burst and soak the RF tire in coolant. I use a metal valve that fit a mid 80's Audi 5000. It sounds like you have some other kind of problem but this issue is worth mentioning.
Sometimes there is a broken heater control clip as well, I have not seen this myself but I guess it happens. This problem also results in a default mode of heat/defrost all the time.

http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

-Joel.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say start out by checking the heater clip. Its the easiest thing to both check and change and is fairly common. I had to do this on my 944 a few years ago and it fixed me right up.

It is a small plastic white clip in the foot wheel on the drivers side behind the panel under the dash in the middle of the car. If you do a search I think someone posted a pic of the clip and its location a while back.

Hopefully it is jsut the simple clip and not the stuff jframm mentioned above.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
951mcomm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 heater clip
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys. I do own the 968. I will check the Heater Clip (will look in the PDF repair manual to find more info). I appreciate ALL of the information and will check all of the suggestions and post back to let you all know what I find.

Joel, thanks for your information, too. I'm going to check the items you have indicated if it turns out not to be the clip. When you say "control unit" are you referring to the unit on the dash where you change the temp and move the sliders?

Thanks again for all the information.

Monte
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Actually rereading your post you might have air in the cooling system. It's easy to bleed. Some 968s have the coolant air bleed hidden under the beauty cover over the plug wires though.

If it's just being nutty that could be the climate control head in the dash, the gadget with the ***** on it.

If your heater valve is not pretty new I would change it, unless you like surprises. You might read up on the other preventative maintenance items too, the variocam system particularly.

Cheers and welcome,
-Joel.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:46 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joel. Was the head unit what you were referring to in your original post?

Monte

Quick Reply: Porsche 968 Climate Control Blows Hot or not at all