Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 child seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay W
I have a Britax Marathon and that thing is huge even in my Explorer. I would have never thought it would fit in a back seat of a 944.

My 88 has rear shoulder belts and my 87 does not, so I am guessing rear shoulder belts started in 88.
It fits, but just barely and makes the front seat all but useless. It also helps that my 4 year old is small (for her age). Yeah... 4 years old and still fits in car seat with plenty of room to spare.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I know in virginia you have to be 12 to even ride in the front seat...mainly due to airbags coming out at roughly 200mph, injuries, possible death, etc.... (don't seem to enforce this anyway)

But without airbags dunno....probably still not advised.
These two links say otherwise (for Virginia):

1) http://www.vahealth.org/Injury/safetyseat/laws.htm
2) http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

The big concern about front seat placement is airbags. I don't think too many 8v na's had bags. However, S, S2, Turbos, 968s either had them as options or standard depending on year.

I've also NOT come across rules about shoulder belts being a requirement, however, most cars since the late 1980s / early 1990s have had rear shoulder belts. It may also be that some of the child seats work better with a shoulderbelt.

Lets not forget that in the states, a huge number of pickups are sold... and many are only 1 bench seat.. no rear seat.. and those folks have kids.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I have had a car seat in the back and yes the wife can still sit in the passenger seat, but the seat does need to come closer to the dash. So for most local drives it is ok, but not real long distance.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When my girls were in car seats, I had both of them in the rear of the 944. The seats were a Century model and had smallish bases that fit nicely into the rear seat of the car. I rigged a strap from the top-center of the car-seat to the metal loops mentioned in a previous post. An adult could sit in the passenger seat no problem, and I always put the younger child behind me for more leg room.
They were snug back there. But they enjoyed it. Actually got more difficult to stuff the clan in the 944 as they got older. My car, being an 86 only had lap belts in the rear.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:42 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by racer
These two links say otherwise (for Virginia):

1) http://www.vahealth.org/Injury/safetyseat/laws.htm
2) http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

The big concern about front seat placement is airbags. I don't think too many 8v na's had bags. However, S, S2, Turbos, 968s either had them as options or standard depending on year.

I've also NOT come across rules about shoulder belts being a requirement, however, most cars since the late 1980s / early 1990s have had rear shoulder belts. It may also be that some of the child seats work better with a shoulderbelt.

Lets not forget that in the states, a huge number of pickups are sold... and many are only 1 bench seat.. no rear seat.. and those folks have kids.
I guess my wife is old enough to sit in the front seat then lol...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a britax high-back booster in the back of my S2 for a long time. It's a narrow seat which lets it go back and down far enough to make the front seat still usable as long as the person up there does not have long legs.

Now my son is big enough to not need a booster so it's out.....unless the daughter wants a ride...in which case it goes back in the car.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:18 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

In Hawaii, a child between 4 and 8 y.o. and taller than 57 inches can ride in the back seat of older cars that are only equipped lap belts and no shoulder straps. So my son legally rides in the back seat of my 84 n/a.

This is a law designed to take into account older cars and "grandfather" them in.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Robin W.
Instructor

My 4 year old that's pretty tall for his age (uses a booster seat in the other vehicles) fits perfect in the back seat of my '86. He likes the 944 the best because there is no climbing to get in or out, and the back seat fits him 10 times better than the booster seat, he also likes that his feet touch the floor when sitting normally. He's already asked if he can drive it.....
Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Can any of you with pictures please post them up.

My Evenflow Symphony seems to fit in the back of the car just perfectly (1/4" bigger and no fit). Now the front seat passenger will be a problem as the seat needs to be all the way forward as far as I can tell and I still have no idea on how to secure the seat.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 PM
JnJNY
Advanced

I have used our Recaro baby seat inmy 924s without issue. You use the lap belt and the strap goes all the way to the back of the hach and attaches to the metal loop... As explained earlier...

My two year old daughter is comfortable, my wife is ok... But then again she is not a very tall woman.

Both are comfortable enough for a 40 mile trip. At least that is all we have done so far...
Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
racer
Drifting

Just curious if anyone has ever "tested" those little tabs on the back for strength? IIRC, they are built simply to hold the rear cargo cover.. not stop 1,2,5,10 g's of force (of what 30-50lbs is a kid and a seat?) should there be an impact.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

BUMP

I have a Graco that we have been using in our other vehicles, but it's just a monster in this car....
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I gave up on mine and put my son in the front seat with me. Now I have to keep his feet away from the dash and hand off the shifter.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

I got a seat to work, but it took a bit of effort...

I ended up at Target with a tape measure, comparing widths on all the seats they had for sale... The skinniest one ended up being a Cosco with no frills, other than a clip on cupholder.

Now that I had the width I needed, next up was making it fit the seat. I made a carboard template for the contour of the back seat, and transferred it to the car seat, moving the cut line as far in as possible without sacrificing the structure of the seat. Trimmed the seat, and lined the edges with door molding to protect the car. The seat now sits at least 3 inches lower, and 3 inches further back than I started!!!

The final hurtle was securing the seat. I didn't want to use the seat belt because it just wasn't a good fit with the modifications I had done. Solution? I replaced both lower seat belt bolts with harness eyelets(available at most race shops and online), and then secured the seat using a 10,000 lb ratchet strap! Finally, I ran the "LATCH" strap from the top of the seat all the way to the rear bulkhead.

The result? I have a kid that is happy to ride in his Dad's 944, and a wife that can ride in the passenger seat without having her knees around her ears!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay W
My 88 has rear shoulder belts and my 87 does not, so I am guessing rear shoulder belts started in 88.
My 88 doesn't have rear shoulder belts. Was it an option?

Quick Reply: 944 child seat?