Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: street combo; de-stroked LS7 388 c.i. vs LS3 376 c.i.; which would you run ?
LS3 376 c.i. (Crate Engine Depot); $7,300 (see top of page 4)...
60.00%
LS7 block w/ ls3 crank @ 388 c.i., LS3 heads/intake LS7 cam; $9,900.
40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...

Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing like wrenching when everything is clean.

Looking good!

Andy
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks! but, i'll just be changing the oil, filters, brakes, fluid, suspension etc..

Eric Hill's building the car (incl Hydroboost brakes and AC).
Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good Allan!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:05 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking good Allan! Stay the course!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

thanks Karl....

they called me today and said they're expecting to get 'er fired over early next week.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:43 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
thanks Karl....

they called me today and said they're expecting to get 'er fired over early next week.

Right on!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
great comments. thanks.

i'll update this, and respond to your comments first thing in the morning.

Is this still an on-going endeavor?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

i believe I've located the first semi-serious v8 discussion on RL-944 forums.

one thing i find interesting is - i hadn't fully realized the dark ages (before the LS1) were this dark....

anyway, i wanted to reproduce a few short threads from way back, that are gone.

why? no good reason whatsoever. but bumping any of them isn't a good idea.

we got a Cayman GT4 subforum - we even have a 928 forum () but we can't get a 944V8 subforum - and frankly, it blows.

i know, this is doesn't add value to the world in the slightest way possible. A v8 subforum sure as hell would!!

the 944V8 gods are mostly gone now (moment of silence)....

but they left us a priceless storehouse of knowledge and their personal experiences – and braving the unknown toward 944 nirvana.

God be praised....

7-29-01
Originally Posted by brucemckenney
Renegade Hybrids 944:

Has anybody had experience? NO FLAMES PLEASE! Simple question.
7-29-01
Originally Posted by adie
Phew, that was lucky. you nearly had your car reposesed by the purists. i'm sure you have checked out the previous debates regarding the 'porsche' origin of the car if you so much as change the gear **** to something different.

I don't use the renegade kit as I think that they are a little expensive for what you get, but I build V8 conversions as a hobby so I would. it is so very simple to do but you do need to think about weight.

what power plant were you thinking of using, and what base model have you got, we can work from there. if you know the engine type and I can find one over here I can make a template for you to have made that will allow the engine to be bolted to the torque tube. then it's some carefull measuring to knock up a new flywheel to bolt on to the new crank, careful selection of clutch choice, some engine mounts, set of headers and a quick modification to the sump.

Carb/injection is up to you, I like the good old 500 cfm two barrel Holley for road use as it works well on up to 4.5 liters. but you will probably be looking at 5.0 power so 650 vac sec. will work well and not bog, what do you want to do with the car, race or cruise? let me know and I'll see if the other V8 enthuasists are up to helping out as they will know what is available for you over there. plus you have Summit at your disposal making thing very easy.
7-29-01
Thanks Adie,

A search of the archives only turned up flames. I have not bought a 944 yet but have an option on a decent 951 without an engine. This car would be a daily driver and occasional instructor track car. What about such frivolties as air conditioning and cruise control?
Bruce
7-30-01
Flaming cool, luckly we can see beyond our shiny bonnet emblems and enjoy ourselves, the car you suggest would be perfact, don't know about air con as there's not much use for it here in England, cruse control should still work with a lottle mod to the vac sensor. What are you thinking for power?
7-30-01
I'm open to suggestions. I love everything about the 944 except the acceleration curve. I love the feel of a V-8. Since it will be primarily a daily driver, reliability is key.

I would think the weight difference could be compensated for by different front springs, shocks, and sway bar. Comments?
7-30-01
Alloy engine, alloy heads, it's the only way to go, if your after performance you might as well have a lighter engine to haul therefore not requiring to spend so much on tuning an old boat anchor, you can easilt put a SBC but you could always try something different. Have you thought about the buick V6 turbo motor that Kenny Bell used to drive to the track and pull 6 second passes and drive home again. truly phnomenal.
7-30-01
Adie,
I'm not much of a motorhead. I don't even know what a SBC is. Remember; reliability, cheap parts, and shade-tree Billy Bob repairs are requirements... However--I am a big muckedy-muck in a Viper organization. It would be nice to kick some arogant butt.
8-01-01
Originally Posted by pig4bill
The old pushrod Ford small block is quite a bit lighter than a Chevy. You can make plenty of torquey power with a 351 Windsor, or high-revving race-car type power with an old Boss 302. The overhead cam 4.6 is probably a lot more euro in power delivery. I think the Renegade kit is only set up for Chevy's though.

It's still more work and hassle to get 400 hp than just working up a 951 motor, imo.

8-01-1
Small Block Chevy (SBC) cheap and reliable. but don't let that stop you from looking around. you have a blank sheet of canvas, you may even decide to look around for a last season race motor from one of the Porsche guys. If money is the concern, then go crate motor's from places like Summit. everyone will give you a different opinion on best engine.
8-01-01
Originally Posted by Jason_E
I am wanting to get rid of my porsche engine and put like a 302 or a 350 in it how much would it cost me to do this. This latest 1200 dollar repair bill because of the timing belt is b.s. I want the good ole american power. I had a 1995 camaro z28 with the LT1 and loved it
8-01-01
Originally Posted by Adrian
Dear Jason,
I saw your post on the 944 board. What happened to you is bad luck. Poor maintenance by the previous owner. The majority of autos by the way have rubber cam belts. If you were happy with what you had before, why did you change to a Normally Aspirated 944. 163HP and not much else you can do with it anyway. Great slalom racers but certainly not power machines.

Bolting in a yankee engine will not do much for you in a 944 body anyway. This will cost you a little more than 1200 bucks as well because the 944 is a four cylinder auto with four cylinder brakes, four cylinder steering and other four cylinder stuff and a four cylinder engine bay. I know, I have one. Gave it to my daughter.

I would sell it and look for something more to your liking. Whatever Porsche you get it is going to cost a lot to fix it when it blows up.
Adrian
8-03-01
Jason this is NOT a flame. I converted my cars myself. if you plan to send your car off and recieve a v8 conversion you have to expect to pay for labour. the mushy rubber disc needs to go as I have killed 2 now.
8-04-01
Originally Posted by Jason_E
thanks. The reason I got rid of my z28 is the insurance I was paying 3600 a year for insurance and now I can carry liability for 900 bucks a yr on my Porsche. I know it don't have the power of a LT1 engine but I like the image of the Porsche knowing that I am driving a true sports car whether or not it has 163hp or 415hp like the new 911 turbos.

As soon as I get financially stable again I will change out motors or possibly sell it and buy a newer used Porsche with a little bit more power but right now I like the car the paint and body are perfect only defects are a crack in the windshield (small) and I need to replace the seats sometime although they are in pretty good shape other then that the whole car is in really good shape. Also if there is anyone in the south east texas region that would be interested in buying some things from me to help pay for my car repair bill please let me know also. I have a few things I need to sell to come up with that money.
8-11-01
Originally Posted by Bob Ward
Renegade Hybrids are great!

I have had my hybrid for about 3 years now.

My P-car is a never ending project but a fun one!
8-13-01
Did you have your car converted at Renegade or did you purchase the kit and install yourself? what did you lose in sump capacity and what kind of fuel system did you end up running? I assume that this is a 944 conversion. what header system do you have and what modifications did you do to the struts and brakes? I have been looking at Fiat brake conversions that have two calipers per wheel, front and back. this should stop warpage and increase breaking effort. Interested as I have a 351 windsor set up that I have made to fit the torque tube and will be fitting it soon.
8-16-01
Originally Posted by 944LT1
I purchased a Renegade kit, although a little pricey I would purchase another. I was able to install a 95' LT1 in approx. 5 weeks. I have driven the car 500 miles since completion and I really like! I still need to upgrade rear end and rear suspension to get rid of the squats from soooooo much torque!Porschevy Project
8-16-01
Leda do shock's that deal with your squatting problem and they also do rether nice coil over rears.
8-19-01
Originally Posted by George 911-V8
944LT1 what transmission do you have? How do you like it so far with your new found hp. I would like to know about a few things water temp with a/c on, handling, brakes and weight with driver. I have been in a R&D mode for over two years with my V8. If you need any help with questions post it up these guys wiil help you. Good luck!!
8-19-01
Originally Posted by BigPorscheGuy39
Did you use the stock 944 transmission in this conversion?
8-19-01
Originally Posted by 944LT1
George-AWESOME CAR!!!!! next time im in N.O. i'd love to see that baby! (inlaws live in abita springs)the tranny is the original 5 speed- however i will be swapping to the turbo box for better ratios.car runs 185-190 degrees. i have a fluidyne radiator and 160 thermostat. air is not hooked up yet. car handles well but i still need to beef up the rear suspension when i do the tranny.

Last edited by odurandina; 03-12-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:59 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

UPDATE:

I need to be leaving DFW Tejas area by no later than Saturday at 10~11 pm.... cuz I gotta be back in California by 7 am sharp Monday morning... I'm meeting with Eric
to pick up my finished short-stroke/LS7 968, in the afternoon on Friday - and then bring it to the tuner (30 miles away) who's agreed to work into the wee hours
to get the engine running proper (so I can drive her to California).

fingers crossed and pics coming soon.

then, I can get to working on the new instrument panel.

stay thirsty.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 05-13-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where are you heading to in Cali?

Andy
Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything but crapasil.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

engine fired over flawlessly at about 5:30 Central Time this afternoon.

and what appears to be a fine job by Eric Hill...

(hopefully get her to the tuner tomorrow late afternoon/late nighter).....

in the V8 club.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:56 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

car was finished at the tuner around 9:30 this morning..... now that's service.

overall, I'd say the shake down is going well. there's a few minor issues to sort mostly only secondary to the swap.

drove it about 25 miles and it runs almost perfect....

the exhaust note with the 2 Borla resonators (1 right after the other in the exhaust tunnel ) then the Vibrant muffler out the back....

well - when you get on it a little, the sound is MASSIVE but the volume not loud at all....

a good deal less loud than the typical V8 swaps I've heard.

to be honest this thing sounds BIGGER than I expected. bigger than an LS1 for sure.... more like a 427!!!

then again, it's a 427 block, and my previous exhaust for the 968 did something quite similar (making it sound bigger);

with the oversquare + aluminum flywheel, it spools up to 4000 rpm FAST and makes a really good exhaust note.

i'll have to post a new thread.... 'you'll think you died and went to V8 heaven.'

the installer is going to sort a couple of things...

I'm flying back to California.... hopefully be driving the car away from Texas in a 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-12-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

in a few more days..... photos over and under...

exhaust video, (absolutely). won't sound this good.... damn it would sure be nice to have my oversquare engine connected to a 180° exhaust.

here's an example of a genuine crap DETROIT 5.3~5.7ish GM truck motor with something that comes very close to a correct exhaust.

VOITH; ARE YOU LISTENING??? enjoy the show.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ye8fFH90w
Old 06-21-2015, 03:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

my car has arrived in Los Angeles.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-22-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...