Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dream of owning another Porsche 944...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dream of owning another Porsche 944...

I was just showing one of my co-workers a bunch of cars that I've had in the past and that I've sold. I was showing him a video of me driving my 73 Cutlass, and then showed him my 84 Porsche 944 that I had.

I bought a 1984 Porsche 944 off eBay one night when I was drunk. I paid $1,500 for it. I spent the entire summer rebuilding nearly every facet of the car. I completely gutted and replaced the interior. As a matter of fact, I even ordered a "passenger side" door panel from England just so I could have a mint condition door panel for my drivers side here in the US.

All in all, I blew roughly about ~$4,000 on everything you could imagine from the little black plastic caps that go on to the seat belt bolts, to fancy new gauges that I gathered from a collection of past-lived Porsches: http://www.pontiacperformance.net/Ca...auge_3_lrg.jpg

I even spent several hundred dollars getting power of attorney for an enlisted soldier on a Navy boat so I could legally sign the car over into my own name (since he only had a bill of sale from Ohio from a previous owner). You can see the entire rebuild here: http://www.pontiacperformance.net/car84Porsche944.html

Then my daughter was born. It was the happiest day of my life, but also a time for big change.

I sold my 1981 WS6 Pontiac TransAm (Smokey & The Bandit II style). I traded in my 2006 Pontiac Solstice for a PAID for Ford Explorer Sport w/ 32k miles on it. I traded in my wife's 2004 VW Beetle Convertible for a new 2008 Jeep Patriot so we'd have something to drive the baby around in. I sold my 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I sold a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, and finally, I sold my 1984 Porsche 944.

Having paid $1,500 for it, and dropped $4,000 into it... I picked a guy up from the airport, with $2,018 cash in hand, he drove it all the way from Fort Lauderdale to his home in Dayton, Ohio. He said it drove beautifully, and had no trouble other than a tire valve that went bad (replaced it and was back on the road in 2 minutes). He said he got over 30 miles to the gallon on his trip home.

I only had my Porsche 944 running well and registered for 2 weeks before I sold it. I only got to take it to work ONCE...

Oh well, I own EVERYTHING, NO DEBT, and my daughter already has the first half of her first year of college paid for in a 529 Education Investment Account... but there's still this empty feeling inside that can only be filled by a 944.

Am I nuts if I tell you guys I would rather have a mint 1984 Porsche 944 (like this one: http://www.pontiacperformance.net/Ca..._Original.html) than a brand new Porsche 911 GT3 (all money aside of course)?

I was /kinda/ looking to buy another one, and my wife told me the other day that she's pregnant! hahah... so, I'm really happy... but looks like my 944 will have to wait another couple of years.

Not to be forgotten though... I have a complete front and rear "Euro" bumper set (made from aluminum) complete with the shock absorbers, sitting in my attic.

If I can't find a good running 2.5 944, then I'll probably go with one that has a blown engine and get a Renegade kit and drop an LS1 motor in it.

Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
running_cold924
Racer

these cars are so rewarding to own and to work on.....but more so to drive AFTER you've fixed something. there will be another.....it will just be there knocking on your door when the time is right. that's where you come in. Whether you choose to open the door is up to you...

p.s. the way the economy is right now, it may be soon.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by running_cold924
these cars are so rewarding to own and to work on.....but more so to drive AFTER you've fixed something. there will be another.....it will just be there knocking on your door when the time is right. that's where you come in. Whether you choose to open the door is up to you...

p.s. the way the economy is right now, it may be soon.

Yeah, I think so. I'm still going to school also (will be graduated in February). In between career, school, and spending time with my daughter... I'm trying to finish up a couple of other projects.

I have my 73 VW Bus that still needs for me to re-upholster the seats and finish up the interior painting in the back, and I'm knee-deep in the middle of re-doing my 87 Fiero. It's not costing me anything since I already have all the parts for nearly everything, but it is what it is.

I may end up moving in a couple of years too if I decided to seek other career opportunities, so I'm probably going to end up getting rid of one of these cars.

The wife has absolutely put her foot down and said we CANNOT sell the VW Bus, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to:

A) Get rid of my 87 Pontiac Fiero which was my first car that I've owned for 16 years.

B) Sell my 2002 Crown Victoria LX that has 42k miles on it, and was originally my grandfathers car. The car that I drove my wife to a cabin in West Virginia in where I proposed to her, the car that I drove my daughter home from the hospital in (her great-grandfather's car). Plus, it runs a high 14 in the quarter, while still being more silent than a Prius, gets 28mpg on the highway, all while riding on whitewalls and still having a football field worth of leather.

My other two cars are just daily drivers... so I mean, I need to keep them, but they're insignificant...

Ugh. One of these days.

I've also got a massive 7.5 liter 1969 Oldsmobile 455 big block that I've built up. I dumped almost 5 grand into rebuilding it with the intention of buying a car to put it in. NO idea what I'll do with that. I was thinking of even trading it even-steven for a Porsche 944 that runs, but I just can't have another car in the driveway right now.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Geldfalle 944
Rennlist Member

I loved my first one so much last January I decided to buy another one. First one was 83, new one is a 88. I bought it for $1400 and do not regret it one minute. I love it to death. It needs work and I enjoy working on it. Fun as hell to drive. Not sure I will ever get rid of this one.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 PM
manydubs
Track Day

That low mileage example is gorgous, I bet it still smells like fuel with a full tank of gas though.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:58 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
If I can't find a good running 2.5 944, then I'll probably go with one that has a blown engine and get a Renegade kit and drop an LS1 motor in it.
Skip the renegade kit, but otherwise, sounds like a great idea!

Name:  41332_1301650196345_1683166865_691732_4337343_n.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  61.3 KB

Although there is no reason you can't have a kid and build it at the same time. Hell, I have 5 kids and I am doing it. When I was first married, when we had to take my car, we drove around with the car seat in the front, and my wife in the back. She didn't like it much, but in a pinch, it is transportation.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

There are better options than Renegade for putting in an LS1. I'm in the middle of doing that right now.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i want to get to the bottom of the topic touched on in the previous post.

would anyone have a list of the best threads that might, bring more of this matter to light...

why not petition to ask the adm. to start a 944/968 LSx forum ? wouldn't that be epic ?

starting right now, i'm going back to find all the LSx threads from the previous year.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say that until they get to be 7 or 8 and are into soccer and stuff like that, you'll have a lot of time where you don't need to be "with" them, just nearby while they nap, etc. It's a good time to putter in the garage, tell the wife you'll hold down the fort while she gets out (Bonus Points!). From 7 yrs to almost 16 you'll REALLY be busy with them, and they'll be sucking money out of your pockets at a far greater rate (see what braces cost now?!?!).

PS, I'd be interested in your view of the Solstice. If they'd made it a "real" coupe, I'd be driving one...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
i want to get to the bottom of the topic touched on in the previous post.

would anyone have a list of the best threads that might, bring more of this matter to light...

why not petition to ask the adm. to start a 944/968 LSx forum ? wouldn't that be epic ?

starting right now, i'm going back to find all the LSx threads from the previous year.
There is a decent amount of info here, but when you really get down to it, this is the place to go for 948 knowledge.

Quick Reply: I dream of owning another Porsche 944...