Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer tie rod ends... getting the nut off

Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outer tie rod ends... getting the nut off

I disassembled the entire passenger side front end today, but had a hard time with the nut holding the outer tie rod ends together.

From searching through Rennlist, most if not all have problems with separating the tie rod ends, but nobody have reported problems with the nut.

The nut turned the rod/ball itself, and there is nothing to clamp down to make it stop rotating. I ended up destroying a perfectly good tie rod end (threads and rubber seals) before splitting the nut.

I'm gonna do the driver's side next, and will be very happy to hear any suggestions on how to avoid busting that tie rod end too.

Once the nut was removed, everything came apart real nice...
Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I usually put a floor jack under the bottom of the tie rod end to push it up into spindle. The pressure of the tie rod pushing into the spindle hole keeps it from spinning unless the nut is really messed up. Not too much pressure with the jack or you could bend the tie rod.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so u just having problems loosening the nut off the tie rod end cause it's rusted?

pb blast it. torch it. hammer on it. vise grip it. one or multiple of those
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 AM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)

Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks

I carefully jacked up the tie rod on the driver's side and got the nut loose without problems. I did one more thing, not sure if it worked or not: A hefty dose of sub-zero penetrating oil.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Veer12
Banned

Thumbs down

I usually put a floor jack under the bottom of the tie rod end to push it up into spindle. The pressure of the tie rod pushing into the spindle hole keeps it from spinning unless the nut is really messed up. Not too much pressure with the jack or you could bend the tie rod.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I use Aerokroil instead of PB blaster (similar use) but you have to order it from the company itself. They also sells another version with graphite in it that lubricates stuck mechanisms. Spray it on and tap it nicely with a hammer to vibrate it so it penetrates better. Put on a nice 2' breaker bar and heavy duty 19mm socket and it'll come loose. Make sure you cut the cotter pin...if it won't go through b/c of rust - then cut the ends and punch through the rusted part.

For Future Use:

$20 from Harbor Freight - works on tie rod outer ends and ball joints. Great tool to have.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

i live in powayyyy, can i borrow your tierod remover? LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outer tie rod ends... getting the nut off