Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's behind the "Porsche" Rear Reflector???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
raikkonen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's behind the "Porsche" Rear Reflector???

Greetings all.

I have my eye on purchasing a nice 1988 944 that meets all of my criteria, except it has the dreaded "Porsche" reflector between the rear lights.

My question is this: How difficult is it to revert back to standard sheetmetal???

Can the reflector simply be removed? Is it glued or bolted?

I'd like to re-locate the license plate back to between the rear lights as well, meaning I'll obviously have to plug the lower bumper where it's placed on rear reflector cars. Will I have to drill through metal to do this or is the bumper under the reflector pre-drilled for a plate?

Thanks in advance for any insight, because if this is a huge undertaking ($$$) I may even pass on the car, as there are obviously allot out there.

Bu the way, no offense to anyone who has a reflector, it's just not to my taste!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
racer
Drifting

You will likely find additional BOLT holes that held the reflector on. You might notice them if you remove the rear compartment carpet and look near the spare tire well for some additional looking bolts.

Someone else out here found some real classy "painting" under their reflector.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i removed mine- it looked like the installed used a hammer and a dull screwdriver to punch the holes through for the bolts. I hammer and dollied the holes flat, welded in some small plates and skim coated over the outside. Then i used flat black between the lights. Most people never notice.
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear reflector has two bolt holes in the body. The Reflector lighted ones have four bolt holes in the body, and if it is not bowed in the center the license plate attach point has not been hammered in. As for myself I like having extra red lights on the rear.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what was behind mine. (Look really closely)

Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Geldfalle 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
This is what was behind mine. (Look really closely)

Looks like someone is due for the whole hatch seal.

btw... love the ladies.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a damn shame they ever sold those in the first place.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM
raikkonen
AutoX

OMG. Thanks very much gents.

XSboost: looks good, and thanks for the insight on the repair. This could be the way to go, as the car I'm looking at is black.

Cole: wow. That panel looks like it was hit w/ buckshot. Your picture highlights the fact that the area is ready to accept a US license plate as well.

Given the relative ease of this repair, I think I'll pull the trigger on the car, as I've found there are very few "enthusiast owned" 944's out there!

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The presence of the extra holes is why I have left my "Turbo" planel on my 951. I would rather not have it, but I do prefer that to the holes. I will probably fill the holes one day, but I will probably being painting the entire car then.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I suppose if you get it flat and clean, you could use a small sheet of flat black vinyl decal (depending on your car color). That is a travesty!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raikkonen
OMG. Thanks very much gents.

XSboost: looks good, and thanks for the insight on the repair. This could be the way to go, as the car I'm looking at is black.

Cole: wow. That panel looks like it was hit w/ buckshot. Your picture highlights the fact that the area is ready to accept a US license plate as well.

Given the relative ease of this repair, I think I'll pull the trigger on the car, as I've found there are very few "enthusiast owned" 944's out there!

Thanks everyone.
I wouldn't say there are very few OWNED... for sale is a different story all together.. a trip to teh 944 fest can confirm this.. MANY enthusiast owned 944s..just not many enthusiast owned cars for sale!

FWIW, I MAY have to sell my beloved N/A... but not any time in the near future... maybe later this summer, once the 951 is back in the game...
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Here is a decent car, decent price... but it is WHITE, in Pittsburg, and showing SOME rust...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ittsburgh.html
Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt have a 'Porsche' plaque, but wanted to fill in the back panel, so I took two 'Recycled' lenses and did this,
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
dstt
Advanced

Each to his own. There's certainly nothing wrong with the stock look, and customizing/personalizing a car like a Porsche is a slippery slope, what you consider an improvement is likely to offend an enthusiast. That said, I think these panels do give a finished look to this area. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Dan King
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
Didnt have a 'Porsche' plaque, but wanted to fill in the back panel, so I took two 'Recycled' lenses and did this,
That doesn't look half bad. Where did you get the lenses?
I just picked up a white '87 with an atrocious yellow/orange panel with a nice bow out in the center. Of course, taking it off leaves 5 rusted holes outside of where the plate would be. My other solution was to try spraying the entire panel flat black and leaving it on with the lights disconnected.

Quick Reply: What's behind the "Porsche" Rear Reflector???