Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the solder points in the fuel injector harness?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Where are the solder points in the fuel injector harness?

I have a no-start condition that has been diagnosed as no-power (no +12v supply) to all four fuel injectors. Pin #2 on the 9 pin connector in the engine bay has +12v power when the key is in the on position, so it is not an issue with the DME relay. There is a break in the wiring between the 9 pin connector and the fuel injector harnesses. When I supply +12v to the red/blue fuel injector wire at the fuel rail, the car starts.

The wiring diagram shows a solder point "SP3" where the single power line from the 9 pin connector gets split into the power for each of the four injectors (see attached electrical diagram at the bottom of this post).

From other threads, this connection can corrode over time:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=14263

I don't want to cut the harness to ribbons looking for these connections.

Where on the wiring harness (as installed in the car) are the solder points SP1, SP2, and SP3? Is it in the engine compartment, or on the passenger compartment side of the firewall?

What path does the red/blue wire take from the DME relay to the fuel injectors?

Car is an 1987 924S.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images  

Last edited by 89magic98; 06-13-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really know anything about how the 924 is wired, but on a 944 junction point 3 for the injector harness is located in the snorkel. Also, the junction is compression welded, rather than being soldered. Here's a photo from when I was disassembling my wiring harness:
I hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks - is this part of the wiring harness under the dash? I assume that most people get the harness out by pulling it out through the firewall (as opposed to pulling the engine compartment wiring into the passenger compartment).

I have to evaluate the practicality of trying to to a repair in-place (cutting the harness at the right place) vs. trying to get some/all of the harness removed to perform this surgery.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the 944 that part of the snorkel is located in the engine compartment, somewhere around the back of the head. I think people usually pull the harness into the engine compartment when removing it since there are fewer connectors on the passenger compartment side. That said, I think its going to be really difficult to get to the inject wires wires in the snorkel without damaging the other wires in the harness. If you're already having problems with old wires, pulling and tugging on the snorkel is likely to cause other things to fail.

Have you thought about trying to adapt the Lindsey injector harness? (http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/HARNESS.html). You might want to give them a call, maybe they've done this before.

Either way it might be easier to build yourself a new injector harness rather than trying to repair your current one.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89magic98

From other threads, this connection can corrode over time:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=14263

crikey thats an astonishing amount of corrosion considering the climate the car is used in

No wonder our UK cars have lots of no start issues.

If that is indicative of the rest of the solder joints in the loom i'd plumb for a complete re-wire of the injector harness at least so I could be sure of another 10+ years of troublefree starting and running

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are the solder points in the fuel injector harness?