Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to repair cracked exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Wrong..... it can be welded.

It takes special rod..... and its one of the rare cases that arc (stick) welding is the preferred method. Arc welding rod remains flexible, and will expand and contract with the heating/cooling of the manifold.

Take it to a good welding shop for the fix..... or send it to me. I have welded MANY exhaust manifolds on big diesel engines. They crack all the time. Nickel rod is $$$$, but it will never crack in the same location again.

(EDIT .. I read "manifold" as you having the early cars cast iron manifold..... if you have a late car header, that can be repaired as well, just a different process.

Never trust anyone that tells you something can't be welded, and have it be strong. Everything made of metal in the world has been welded at some point, and many times, the weld is stronger than the surrounding metal.)
Could one JB weld it
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had mine welded by a muffler shop that specializes in stainless. They sealed the entire gussett. Worked like a charm. Just make sure you mount it on a jig before anyone does any welding so it won't shift. I just got a 3" X 2' piece of hardwood from Lowes and mounted it to that.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:44 PM
sclvnv
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to here an intelligent reply and even better to see the Vegas "Tag"! I'm in 29 Palms and need a simple manifold crack welded on a 2007 Malibu 4cyl. Since it's Cali,, and since the Catalytic Converter is still fine, There's No sense in Wasting $1000 dollars replacing the entire assembly(On this car the Manifold and Cat. are ONE-PIECE). I'm not a pro-mechanic but have learned to do almost anything on this vehicle. I'd hate to remove the assembly, but if I gotta do that to have a "pro" weld it, then so be it. Are you in the Biz? And if so, Would you remove a piece like this(Having a lift would just make it way easier), prior to welding? And Re-Install?

I can do it on the side of the road... but no sense making it harder if you are equipped do the whole thing from start to finish for a Sensible price..

Quick Reply: Best way to repair cracked exhaust manifold?