Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like metal in my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
well as I said ,if you try to crush it and it doesn't crush then the chances are its metal otherwise its got to be burnt oil /carbonised particles or something introduced to the engine.
Have you carried out a compression test ? does the engine burn any oil ? or smoke >

after my engine warms up it runs fine before I my idle isn't great but it has always been l
ike this. It doesn't smoke.

Also my engine doesn't really use any oil at all before my oil changes which is every 4 months or so (I don't drive too much but still). when I change my oil my oil is still at maximum.

i'm pretty sure compression is good because the engine makes good power.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crooster
Why don't you send an oil sample to a lab for analysis?
I think i'll do that soon. I was goign to order a kit from blackstone labs. its liek 22 bucks to do a test + shipping.

i think this is the only way to know for sure without taking the pan off.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I was goign to order a kit from blackstone labs. its liek 22 bucks to do a test + shipping.

why don't you at least do that properly and send it to a laboratory so they can do a comprehensive test and you'll get some meaningful results

You'll not tell much about the deposits from dropping the sump. You will be able to check the bearings and clean the sump though. I'd wait until you check a few other things properly first before you drop the sump
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP has his car FS on CL,

"Car is an 1985.5 944 with 15 inch fuchs. newere style interior. sport seats. tons of new parts with receipts. New clutch and low mile torque tube last year. new tires, brake rotors all 4/ pads, , plugs, wires.

timing belt new , rollers new, / water pump also replaced with brand new one. oil seals replaced. coolant hoses all replaced. new radiator. new motor mounts.

the reason i'm selling it cheap is because i'm buying a new bmw, can't afford 2 cars. Also car h29as a small dent in teh rear quarter panel behind the rear tire from me backing up and hitting the fender of another car in a parking lot. no rust though and I haven't bothered fixing the dent as it is not very noticable. "

Nothing about your problem in the ad? Come on man.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a lot of $dosh you've spent on the car. Seems a shame you won't see the benefit of it if you sell the car.

Come on chum, don't give up now. You don't have a problem with the car at the moment.

If I were you I'd change the oil and filter then use some flushing oil . Flush the engine twice if it needs it. Then put another new filter in and some quality oil.
If there was anything wrong with any of your bearings you'd know about it, your engine would sound like a trashcan full of nuts and bolts

Quick Reply: Does this sound like metal in my oil?