Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: Phenolic intake spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
...If air can cool the intake, then why couldn't the intake heat the air?...
Your thinking like a air-cooled 911 person, such thinking is not permitted on this forum
Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ideola
Not true.
Yeah.. Maybe not "drastically" increase IAT's, but it must by some amount..

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Your thinking like a air-cooled 911 person, such thinking is not permitted on this forum
This problem could easily be subverted by the donation of 1 air cooled 911..
Old 01-29-2017, 05:44 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
Yeah.. Maybe not "drastically" increase IAT's, but it must by some amount..
Nope, and here's why.

The intake manifold is stationary, the air is not. The air molecules are moving very fast, and there is a boundary layer between the metal and the bulk of the air entering the intake. Why do you think intercoolers have lots and lots of fins (i.e., lots and lots of surface area)? Because that surface area has to come into contact with as much of the air as possible for the heat transfer to take place.

The cooled air from your intercooler that enters the intake manifold creates a boundary layer, and the boundary layer gets some heat exchange with the manifold, making it feel cold to the touch. The manifold is stationary, and eventually cools down through inducted heat exchange.

If it worked in reverse the way you postulated, we wouldn't need intercoolers.

So, regarding the phenolic spacers, they WILL prevent conduction of hot temparatures from the rest of the engine to the intake manifold itself, but the cooler temps of the intake manifold WILL NOT be transferred by inductiion to the vast majority of the air volume that is passing thru the intake at very high speed. There simply is not enough surface area contact or time for the heat exchange to occur, further exacerbated by the insulating effects of the aforementioned boundary layer.

I'm not expert in thermodynamics, but that is my understanding. And until somebody actually measures the AIR TEMP, and NOT the intake temp, before and after phenolic spacers, I won't believe that phenolic spacers do anything to reduce intake air temperature.

There are three or four threads bouncing around across various forums, and I have done extensive (though perhaps not exhaustive) research on the web. I have yet to find even ONE case where anyone has posted before and after IATs. When I've contacted phenolic spacer manufacturers, and challenged them on the physics, not a single one of them has produced any evidence. So I remain skeptical.

If someone can post actual results of before and after IAT disproving my hypothesis, I will be the first to accept it and make some phenolic spacers myself.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have datalogging and would love to contribute to science, but unfortunately i need a spacer to even start my car. if someone donated an intake manifold to me, I could chop it up and face it on a mill and make myself an aluminum spacer, then do IAT logs with the aluminum vs phenolic spacer.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

I think that Spencer has a chopped up one for sale...but it might be the wrong flavor for your car..but the flanges should be about the same if you wanted to saw it up even further..
Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Doug just bought my one and only spacer, made for an 8v head.

Quick Reply: Feeler: Phenolic intake spacers