Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed/ reference sensor gapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:09 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed/ reference sensor gapping

I am trying to get my car starting, but I am having some doubts. I know that the Speed sensor (rear sensor closest to firewall) has to be a .8mm gap. I beleive that I have that. The reference sensor doesnt have a spec, correct? I had a stripped mounting bolt,so I had to play surgery on my car in the summer. I had to drill from the engine side through the wall and drill the mounting bolt out. I didnt drill a perfect tunnel to the bolt, and I think that the mounting bolt right now isnt lined up as it was originally, but it is very close, if not the same as it was. This is just a thought. Just wondering if the refernce sensor had to be within a certain gap-spacing range. I have a tool and old sensors to get the .08 gap for the speed sensor, but if the mounting bolt isnt lined up right, that could lead to having the speed sensor at an angle where only part of the speed sensor is at a gap of .8

Last edited by thekidd; 11-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

.8mm not .08, both sensors.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:13 PM
n_hall
Racer

where does one get a .8mm washer? i was thinking about using an old spark plug gapper (the kind with different size pieces of metal). and both are .8mm gapping right? im also trying to fix a no start.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:00 PM
thekidd
Instructor

-I dont know where to get a .8mm washer. I even went to an improvement store and asked them how do I measure the skinny side, or height of a washer and they didnt know. I borrowed a tool from a guy here a few months ago, and my car came with this "8" shape washer that was below the speed sensor which I am guessing is .8mm.
-I think our cars require a .34mm gap, or thereabouts, for the spark plugs. I think it says the spark plug gap in the manuel somewhere.
-I had my battery tested ( Pep Boys station was screwed up, they blew their breaker I think, then the machiene said that the battery was "Hot Battery"?) No idea what that means, but they couldn't test or charge my battery. My smaller, later sytle starter was locked up and wasnt able to spin. They told me to lube it some to break it free and bring it back to them. My other starter, early style, passed the test!, but that one wasnt in the car for the past few days when I was trying to start the car, Ill install these and hopefully (with fingers crossed) will start up pretty. Then it is timing belt and all other maintenance.

P.S. If you read this, I let a guy from the next town over borrow the tool. He got it stuck somehow in the bracket and didnt know how to get it out. He got a back injury, and didnt hear from him for a few months. When his back healed, he eventually ended up breaking his bracket to get the spaceing tool out. You will get the tool soon. I'm sorry Mr. Pierson.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n_hall
where does one get a .8mm washer? i was thinking about using an old spark plug gapper (the kind with different size pieces of metal). and both are .8mm gapping right? im also trying to fix a no start.
the factory spec is .8mm +/- .3mm, so anywhere between .5 and 1.1mm is ok. maybe find yourself a 1mm washer and barely tap on the bracket afterwards
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

measure the hight of a washer with a micrometer.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:42 AM
thekidd
Instructor

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! 1984 944 runs!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 AM
thekidd
Instructor

Thanks.
About the sensors- I dont think that mine are the same gap. Yesterday I measured the (front) reference sensor (with a screwdriver) from the top of the bracket to the flywheel (I think thats whats down there). Stuck the screwdriver down as far as it could go and put my thumb at the top of the bracket. I then took my gapping tool (an aluminum shaft the size of a sensor) and put it up to my thumb and screwdriver. The speed sensor (rear sensor toward the firewall) was gapped with the tool. There was some good difference, Id say between 1/2'' to 3/4'' between the size of the tool and to the point where my thumb was on the screwdriver. I have more space between the reference (front engine side) sensor than I do the speed sensor (rear sensor). You might be right that they both have to be .8mm, but she runs. Thats right, SHE RUNS! Ill give it a month or so and let you know if the spaceing matters.
So excited she runs.

Quick Reply: Speed/ reference sensor gapping