Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8v 1983 - Lindsey Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 03:48 PM
LP944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8v 1983 - Lindsey Racing

I have no time to contact LR, since you can only call them, or at least I only can. What does LR produce that can go into my 8v. Im looking at things that require numbers I have not clue about, like pounds on the valve springs. Looking at an aluminum flywheel, knife edge crank, and a cam that they only sell for turbos. What else can be lightened that rotates and so forth. I would rather get a turbo or something but I have a father thats against it. Im fully aware suspension is the best way to go, but there are no corners in central florida, just straight highways. Putting my car on a diet I am also aware of put where would I start, since this is going to be a daily driver, no interior is out of the question. I would even custom fabricate parts if I have to, like the LR MAF kit, that uses sensors instead of a door. And also, I cant even find the offset needed for wheels that fill out the fenders on my 83', everyone gives estimates instead of hard numbers for F/R. Thank you to everyone that helps and and replies
Old 10-31-2009, 04:10 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Throw a suspension on it, swap in some good pads and take it to the track.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

swap a turbo engine and turbo etc into your car, your dad will never know.

You aren't going to get significant power otherwise... maybe an LS1 swap and you can tell him its not turbo.

I'm just being realistic here.. theres not much you can do.. especially since if your dad has the say in things, you probably dont have enough money to do enough to the NA anyway.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

this is not to say that the NA 8v motor CANNOT be made to make alot of power, we have seen a few examples that have made over 200hp NA, but just that the expense of trying to get that much is far greater than it is really worth. not to mention the reliability issues that will arise when trying to take a torquey daily-driver engine like it has now and turn it into a screamer. the cost of a 200hp 2.5 8v NA would probably get close to the cost of a 300+hp v8.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:59 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to your Dad nicely ,do all the little things he want you to do without hesitation then when the time is rigth just whisper (Dad yould you mine if a I sell my 944, If he say yes sell it, go get yourselve a turbo and remove the badge on it or find yourselve a nice little 944s2 or a 968) because by the time you finish doing everything mention above it will cost you more than buying either one of them and your thirst for power will still not be satisfy & listen carefully to what Spencer is telling you does not worth spending all that $$$$ on the n/a.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LP944
I have no time to contact LR... What does LR produce that can go into my 8v... I would rather get a turbo or something but I have a father thats against it..
Let me give you some free advice.

If you have time to post a bunch of threads on a web board and dig through the replies, you have time to go read Lindsey's web site. They're not hiding secret products for 8V NA 944's that only people on this site can tell you about.

All the stuff you're talking about in this thread is expensive. Lightening rotating weight is the last thing people do on the quest for more power/improving their cars. It's clear you're young and I'm sure budget is a concern.

Stick to high value projects on the car rather than something that costs thousands of dollars for a minimal gain in power.

A good tune up and getting the car into proper working order will get you far more horsepower (and reliability) than ducted intakes, lightened flywheel, etc.

Your car is 26 years old. I guarantee it's not making anywhere near the power it was when new. Fix the basics and get it running like new. You won't have to spend a lot of money, you'll get great bang for the buck, and any mods you do after that will have a lot more impact.

More importantly you'll learn a lot about the car which help you make your plans better.

Quick Reply: 8v 1983 - Lindsey Racing