Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hazards work, turn signals don't

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 PM
IhaveAporsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hazards work, turn signals don't

Hello everyone. First post here. Just got my first Porsche, a 1984 944. I can't get over how well this car drives.

I've done a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. My hazards work fine. The relay clicks, and all four corners flash. But when I try to use my turn signal (right or left), the indicator in the dash stays lit. It doesn't blink, just stays solid, and none of the outside signals flash. Is this a common issue with these cars? Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Big Welcome to the forum and the Knuckle Busters Club. First off, check out Clark's-garage. com at the link below. Do you have the owners manual for your car? If not then push your seat all the way back and look up above where you left foot rests. All the fuses and relays are located there. Your turn signal relay is on that panel, the first row is all fuses, the second and third row is relays. Looking from the left to right on the second row the forth relay is XI and next to it is blank. Relay XI is the flasher relay and that is more than likely your problem. Take it out, clean the contacts, give it a wack and put it back in and try the turn signals. If they work now make sure you order a new relay. When you order that relay go ahead and order a DME fuel pump relay to keep in the glove box. 944online.com has a good forum also and a TECH INFO Section. On any forum you use look at the top and there is a SEARCH, type in key word/s and it will bring up past Posts of the same problem.

READ this link.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
IhaveAporsche
4th Gear

Thank you very much! Yeah I took out the XI relay and put a new one in, and it didn't make a differance. I looked through the tech section on 944online and didn't see anything there.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

One bad thing about eBay, people are selling their owner's manuals to make a few extra bucks, instead of including them with the car

In case you don't have an early owner's manual
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
IhaveAporsche
4th Gear

Ok I feel really dumb now. It was the fuse. It looked like it was good. But finally I replaced it just as a last resort before I start going through wires, and it fixed it...
Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IhaveAporsche
Ok I feel really dumb now. It was the fuse. It looked like it was good. But finally I replaced it just as a last resort before I start going through wires, and it fixed it...
The fuse was likely blowing due to the relay (I was about to order one)

Also I forgot to mention, you should buy a spare DME Fuel Pump relay. They are VERY common relays to go out on 944's, and it'll leave you stranded if it does. A very cheap bit of insurance to keep in the glovebox.

Welcome to rennlist, and I hope you enjoy my car!

I will be back in a P-car hopefully within the next year...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 PM
IhaveAporsche
4th Gear

Oh I'm sure I will. I patched that hole in the exhaust. It's quieter now, and deeper. Much better...

Quick Reply: hazards work, turn signals don't