Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 1986 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
MakMan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) 1986 944

First off, I've been lurking for a little while as I researched buying a Porsche. I've had my eyes on a 944 for a long while and finally had the opportunity to take the plunge.

So I took this 1986 out for a whirl last week and it was really smooth. We had to jump start the car because someone left the headlights on. So we get back and we're talking as we let the car idle a bit when the radiator hose bursts spilling coolant all over the ground.

So the salesman says, well you'll get a new hose and flush of the system. So they go ahead and fix the radiator hose and we make the drive up (5 hours) to pick the car up this past Sunday. Car runs great coming home (240 miles) and I take it to work with me. I notice a bit of coolant on the ground. So because I bought it out of state I have to take it to a registered inspection station here in Pennsylvania. The radiator side tank (driver side) cracked right down the seam.

Could this have possibly be caused by the pressure in the system that caused the hose to blow? When we first drove the car there was no fluid on the ground in the parking space where I first saw the car. I'm a bit skeptical about the condition of the radiator when I first looked over the vehicle but on a 24 year old car it's not like I got a warranty on the vehicle.

Having said that, has anyone had any experience with AutohausAZ for parts? I need to replace the radiator and want to buy with confidence from wherever the radiator comes from.

I'll post pics when I can get her back outside in daylight. For an '86 with 129k miles, she will still turn some heads.

Thank you for your help.

Andy
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and good luck with your project! Have you considered having your existing radiator flushed and pressure tested? I've purchased my new parts from both Pelican Parts and Paragon Products. Have been really satisfied with their service. They will have your coolant tank too.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist -Andy - want to congrat you on your purchase ,there is something very important to do before buying a Porsche it's call PPI & I hope you did get one before handing your $ over,there is something very strange going on with your cooling systeme causing it to burst a rad hose & crack the expension tank,you don't mention anything about TB -BSB & waterpump,was that service done prior to the purchase or do you have any records off it being done, you let car idle did you hear the fans come on prior to the hose bursting?what was the temp gauge running at when you drove back home?If it's possible to get a Porsche mechanic to check the car in your area this is the first thing I'll do before pulling the rad out & buying a new one .There is people on this site with lot of technical & mechanical knowledge about 944 I,m sure your will get an answer pretty soon.( Expension reservoir is ASP)don't drive around untill you install a new one .
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
MakMan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled a CARFAX on the car and saw that the timing belt, water pump, thermostat were replaced. All other belts were checked at that time. When I drove the car the clutch didn't slip at all and I beat on the gearbox pretty good on the test drive.

On the ride home the temp gauge was right between the two lines. It wasn't running hot at all. I just lost heat. It blows nothing but cold air. Oil pressure is good and there's no rattles, shimmy's or shakes anywhere in the RPM range. The alignment on the wheels are spot on. At 85 mph I can let go of the steering wheel and there's no movement at all.

We pressure tested the radiator at my repair facility and saw it bubbling down the seam. It wouldn't pressurize and hold anything at all. For what I negotiated the price down to if I have to replace the radiator, expansion reservoir and some pressure caps I'm still ahead in the deal in my book.

I've heard of Pelican before and my repair facility uses them for one of the 911's they work on. I want to get the work done ASAP because the season for driving that car will be over for me soon. I don't mind the cold and the rain but I don't plan on snow bogging with it.

Thanks for the welcome. As I learn more about the car and the workings of it I'm sure there'll be more questions.

Andy

Originally Posted by ernie9468
Welcome to Rennlist -Andy - want to congrat you on your purchase ,there is something very important to do before buying a Porsche it's call PPI & I hope you did get one before handing your $ over,there is something very strange going on with your cooling systeme causing it to burst a rad hose & crack the expension tank,you don't mention anything about TB -BSB & waterpump,was that service done prior to the purchase or do you have any records off it being done, you let car idle did you hear the fans come on prior to the hose bursting?what was the temp gauge running at when you drove back home?If it's possible to get a Porsche mechanic to check the car in your area this is the first thing I'll do before pulling the rad out & buying a new one .There is people on this site with lot of technical & mechanical knowledge about 944 I,m sure your will get an answer pretty soon.( Expension reservoir is ASP)don't drive around untill you install a new one .
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A word of advice, if you flush the system, bypass the heater core. Just replaced the core on a Ford truck that had been pressure flushed at a "professional shop". All the **** in the system went into the core and didn't come out. Fortunately on this truck the core can be replaced in 10 minutes, and only cost $24. The heater core has the smallest passages in the car.

As for the tank splitting, I wonder if the coolant was a weak antifreeze mix, and it froze? That could explain the hose blowing off at the dealership too, if a part of the system was plugged with ice.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi MakMan, Welcome to the forum. Below is the best quick maintenance help info you can have at your finger tips. Another place with great info and parts is 944online.com.
Read all TECH Articles and learn to use the Search Section at the top of the page.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

http://www.arnnworx.com/Policies1.htm

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/index.html

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 12-04-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: New (to me) 1986 944