Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Another New guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 PM
SillyImportRacer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just Another New guy

Saturday, I was at the drive up window at the bank when I saw a 944 with "4 Sale" written on the windshield and a price that I couldn't make out from the distance. We were going to Columbus after leaving the bank and when I turn into the parking lot were the 944 was, my wife rolled her eyes at me. But when the price turned out to be $800.00 she suggested that I come back when they open on Monday. When I went back, I learned that the starter didn't work and the engine made a mystery bottom end kinda noise. The body needs some relatively minor work, the interior has the usual worn out look, and someone put a Flowmaster muffler on it. The fuel pump and filter have recently been replaced. and its an early 1985 model. The guy there said that he's selling it for a friend that has moved and he has a clean title. I offered him $600.00 and he agreed so easily maybe I should have started at $500.00. He has a friend with a role back who will be delivering the car sometime today and that cost will come out of the $600. I guess the guy handling the sale of he car is more interested in making it go away than getting his friend a good price.

I've always liked Porsches. didn't think I'd be able to find one that wasn't a rust bucket for so cheap.

Looks like I got some learnin' to do.

All I've been able to do is get it home before I had to go out on the road. Some times bein' a trucker is a little frustrating.

Here's a pic. I'll try to get more up later. Some of the truck stops have free wi-fi. Makes surffin' better.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome

Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like you need a new bumper shock. i think there is a set for sale on here.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

congrats dude...you're going to want a pair of good bumper shocks but you can probably get some from someone on here for about $15. It's to push the bumper back out the way it's supposed to be. Also, are those headlamp washers? Never seen any on an NA 944 before.

Just take it slow and fix it right the first time. Rennlist is a great hub for information and parts.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.
From your post,looks like you're an Ohio boy.. What luck you have. There are a few R'listers from that area you might hook up with. Get the thing running and bring it to the "Fest" next summer. You won't regret it.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
SillyImportRacer
AutoX

Thanks. Maybe when I get home I'll be able to take some more pis & check the option codes.

I didn't think the absorbers would be so cheap. This might not cost the fortune that I'd thought.
I used to manage a PPL body shop so that experience should pay off with this project.

Yep, are headlamp washers. didn't know they were uncommon on the NA cars.

Actually I'm a Georgia boy...it was just a bit chilly w/ high humidity that day. ..guess I should update my profile.

Last edited by SillyImportRacer; 12-02-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

get some polishing compound or 600 grit sand paper and remove a couple of microns of paint... then wax her.

as far as the money goes... depends on what you consider expensive... it's going to cost you some money to get your engine out of the danger zone. what you should do is read... spend about a month just reading all the threads... you will soon discover i am the biggest cynic about the engines in our cars, and i'm pretty dumb... you will discover geniuses here. serious aftermarket Porsche engineers,...

FIRST: forget about the cosmetic stuff for now, and get to the engine first... these cars are amazing, once the engines are cared for... sure, you could say this about any toyota supra... but these cars will start talking to you very soon... you need to replace the timing, and balance shaft belts, pulleys, rollers and tensioner and even the H2O pump should receive serious consideration... you might also do well changing out the rod bearings and at least, the front seals, and then this engine can run for a long while. start right here and imagine this is is about to happen to YOU:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...iend-ever.html

Here's what about $35K can do when you whip her into shape. this is a Tony G's porsche/chevrolet hybrid LS1 944.

http://www.tonygarcia.org/944V8/

and here's his car destroying some of the fastest production track cars on earth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c90zTpqkRDI

best luck.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
SillyImportRacer
AutoX

By cheap, I meant that I expected the absorbers to be signifacantly more costly.

The clear coat is pealing so she needs paint. but the plan starts with cataloging & prioritizing her mechanical needs. Correcting them while working some cosmetic fixes in as I go....or, I might just go crazy & do a complete restoration. I haven't had enough time with the car to decide what my goals for her are yet.

Thanks for the input
Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first rule when purchasing these cars is to get a PPI from someone who knows these cars. Better late than never, you'll want to book it in just to get all the known common potential issues checked out.

When you've got that list, come back and discuss in detail what you've found. These cars are relatively easy to work on for the home mechanic, so almost anything is possible in terms of restoration if you are willing to put the time into it. Depending on what the inspection report comes back with, you may find it more economical (in terms of your time and your money) to start with a car with fewer problems up front. OTOH, maybe you've been lucky and you're on a winner. In any case, the PPI will tell the story. I wouldn't do anything much until then (not even drive it much -- the under-maintained examples tend to break timing belts soon after changing owners. It's a 944 rule.) GL!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

wet sand that CLEAR COAT right off the frigging car... and get a fresh coat put on.

you will need to do this front-end-of-engine work on her before she's ready to be driven daily... the rubber and threads in the belts deteriorate very quickly and the other stuff i mentioned would be a very good idea because you are already down there. the last owner of the car likely let a bunch of stuff go before departing, and likely went lax on keeping good records, old dusty Porsches are still Porsches... this stuff must be tended too immediately.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard!! You are right you should have offered him 500 What type of wheels do you have? I think we have the same car See my rebuild thread. Throw up some more pics when you get a chance.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome. you've just bought a money pit for $600. shoulda offered him $500 so u'd have another $100 to spend on the money pit

even if the starter doesn't work, u might have had luck pushstarting it hehe
Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

welcome aboard! You're going to experience some serious disorientation between driving your truck and driving the 944

Bad enough when I switch from the 944 to the minivan...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

What's a red 944 doing with clear coat? Red is single stage.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

obviously it had a respray at some time in the past but any body shop should be able to get him some new clear coat for low $$$.

Quick Reply: Just Another New guy