Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find TDC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Jax951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can't find TDC!!!

I've been trying to find TDC so that I can lock my flywheel and commence doing my Timing Belt, Water Pump, Rollers, and Seals. I've followed the

instructions, and just cannot find the "OT" that I am supposed to see on the flywheel through the inspection hole at the top of the bell housing.

This is what I've been doing:

- Line up nick on cam pulley with nick on cam housing.

- Check hole - see rivet. Move +/- 15 degrees - no OT.

- Turn crank pulley until cam pulley has turned 360 degrees.

- Check hole - see rivet. Move +/- 15 degrees - no OT.

I guess it is possible that the PO put an aftermarket flywheel on there, but it's not in my paper "history". What could I be doing wrong? How else

can I find TDC? What is TDC defined as anyway? No. 1 piston TDC in Compression stroke? Exhaust stroke? Idea's anyone?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2002, 02:37 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forget that OT mark, it's way to tough to see through the maze of hose. Instead use the one on the bottom of the bellhousing. There's a little notch on the bottom of the bellhousing. Turn the engine so that a groove cut into the flywheel lines up with that notch and the #1 piston is at TDC. You can also verify that your cam timing is spot on as the mark on the sprocket should match the notch on the outside housing.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:41 AM
muso58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOU CAN GET A ROUGH IDEA OF TDC by removing no1 plug and passing a long thin piece of wire ie coathanger into hole, turn over eng by hand until wire rises all of the way then starts to drop, the highest point is tdc. dont forget to remove wire dont use starter motor.I located TDC in top bellhousing hole after usin this as rough reference
Old 06-24-2002, 04:33 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally look on the flywheel for the mark. I just had to do this last Saturday to do the same procuder you're doing. I had some one turn the engine over and I watched the mark. Also if you have to do the chain or replace the nylon pad then you'll have the valve cover off. Then you'll be able to see the number 1 cylinder lobes are "up". Here's a picture I took for reference this weekend...

Plus here's the post so you can at least look at my TDC on my 91.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=007953" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=007953</a>
Old 06-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
TDC is compression of #1. I agree that the easiest way is line up the lower nick on the bell housing, and also on the cam. If it is all timed right, the balance shafts will line up as well. This way you know you have TDC.

If you have the cam lined up you should be seeing the timing marks. Makes you wonder....

Quick Reply: Can't find TDC!!!