Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

timing belt, oil change, new fuel filter. installed adj. cam gear while in there.

the car rewarded my hours of work by going down the driveway and dying. i suspect dme relay.

on saturday i bought a friend for Mr Porsche (different mfr), I suspect he is jealous and needs more attention....edit, just needed fuel priming.
Attached Images  

Last edited by V2Rocket; 03-18-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
I hope that you took a lot of pictures along the way so when you put it back together next month you can remember better where all the little doo-lollies go..What a monster unit! I'm sure that it will perform quite well when it gets back into the car...the heater core looks good..was it leaking? Good luck with that project! Wowzers!
man, what a job. how do our heaters work? My cab heater heats up almost immediately.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EliteThink
man, what a job. how do our heaters work? My cab heater heats up almost immediately.
Hot coolant flows through the heater core while the blower motor blows air through the hot core. The air heats up as it goes through the core and flows through the HVAC box and into the cabin. There is a vacuum operated valve between the engine and the firewall that can either allow coolant through the heater core or closes off the path to the core and only lets coolant go through the engine/radiator.

If you get constant full heat then your heater valve has most likely failed (they fail in the open position to keep you from freezing in the winter) and isn't closing off the path to the heater core.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace speed and reference sensors which seemed to solve my rough running when warm issue.

Took it out for a drive and towards the end of it there was some stuttering upon acceleration. So then I ended up changing the o2 sensor anyway which was extremely rusted in place. I cut the body off the o2 sensor and used 3ft worth of extensions, a u-joint, and a breaker bar to finally get that puppy to free up going through the engine bay pathway.

Might have just been low or bad old gas but after filling up and going for another drive the car felt noticeably peppier.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

:e vilgrin::evi lgrin:
Attached Images        
Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, I worked on my gas tank some more after brazing the hole shut on the tank top..I found some bathtub stoppers and a squeeze bulb from some long forgotten turkey baster to seal everything up...then I attached my hand vacuum pump and started pumping...Eureka! It held vacuum! So now that that's all settled, it will be off to the powdercoater soon...TT rebuild to follow next...Thanks, Tiger 03447
Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a refill bottle of oil as lately it has been enjoying a bit of oil under fast driving conditions.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed the oil, went with Mobil 15w50 and finally drove it (winter hibernating since November).
Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 AM
EliteThink
Pro

hi guys, last week i was in my suv and was pulled over for no front plate. he let me off with a warning, i went home and put it on. This week i'm rolling in the cab, the same cop is approaching me and flags my window down. "Where is your front plate?", he asks. Let's me off again.

What is the best way to attach a plate to the front of our cars. I'm cringing at the thought. There are two holes in the s2 bumper cover, are they threaded? I'm considering trimming the front plate so it barely displays the digits as I've see a Testarossa do that locally...
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

What is the best way to attach a plate to the front of our cars. I'm cringing at the thought. There are two holes in the s2 bumper cover, are they threaded? I'm considering trimming the front plate so it barely displays the digits as I've see a Testarossa do that locally...
I used adhesive velcro to attach the front plate to my '82 928. Naturally, a bit of bending was in order but it has survived wind, rain and storm for years.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Well, I worked on my gas tank some more after brazing the hole shut on the tank top..I found some bathtub stoppers and a squeeze bulb from some long forgotten turkey baster to seal everything up...then I attached my hand vacuum pump and started pumping...Eureka! It held vacuum! So now that that's all settled, it will be off to the powdercoater soon...TT rebuild to follow next...Thanks, Tiger 03447
YAY!!! ;-)
Old 03-19-2015, 12:03 PM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Just got my steering wheel back on after getting the Turn Indicator/Wiper Switch assembly properly installed.
I thought the wiper switch was not working and contacted the seller.
While inspecting the switch a bit more I realized it wasn't properly seated.
I re-installed it carefully and correctly and it worked! High/Low beam switch too.

I wanted to make mention of the Ebay seller that was more than willing to send a replacement and was understanding of my mistake.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/nurburgringautoparts
Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If this is a 944, there's two things that come to mind:

1. small white clips that always fail on the left and/or right side of the airconditioner box under the dash. The first one to go is on the driver side and a rod goes through it. It's a cheap and quick repair. See Clark's Garage or one of the forums for this. Porsche doesn't charge much for these little white plastic clips and be careful that you don't lose the little square snap that is part of the clip. If the clip is broken, that tab is likely on the floor of the footwell somewhere. You might even find the clips and tabs on ebay.

2. Heater shutoff valve. This is an easy test for operation. put a piece of vacuum hose on the valve (back of the engine) and suck on it. You'll see the lever on the opposite side of the valve moving if the valve is ok. If it doesn't move, then there you are.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Got an '86 944 turbo and now the fun starts. Going through it front to rear. So far, engine braided fuel lines, FPR, silicone vacuum lines, intake manifold removed, new IAC mounts, new ignition system, fuel filter, fuel injectors out to Witch Hunter for rebuild, replaced ref sensors, pulling turbo for cautionary rebuild, new Zimmerman cross drilled rotors for the brembo brakes, new Hawk pads, New Hankook tires for the 18" 911 wheels, and that was just today
Old 03-19-2015, 03:09 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Originally Posted by curtisr
I used adhesive velcro to attach the front plate to my '82 928. Naturally, a bit of bending was in order but it has survived wind, rain and storm for years.
Great idea, i'll look into it. thanks!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today