Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

948 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 948 Test Drive

Have you ever driven a 948?

Today, just a few hours ago, I had that opportunity.

How to describe it?

I suppose one could say that the Porsche 948, the model number that doesn't exist, is the Porsche that should have been.

But that wouldn't tell you much.

I suppose one could say that a Porsche 948 is a 944 with an LS1 engine swapped into it.

But that's like calling fillet mignon "A slice of cow *** wrapped in pig jowl, then desiccated in a hot box"... it's technically correct, but it doesn't tell you how wonderful the experience actually is.

Let 's just settle on this description:

The Porsche 948 has three pedals, like most cars. But instead of clutch, brake, and throttle, it has "you don't really need to, do you?", "get your stupid SUV out of the way", and "OMGwheeeeeeeeeeee!".

And the experience of driving one?

Well, downshifting is optional. Smiling is mandatory.

Once TonyG had handed me the keys and helped me strap into a seat and fivepoint harness made for much smaller men (it was such a snug fit that I actually needed help to get into it), it was all smooth sailing.

The 948 does not care what you do with the clutch. Slow, fast, light, heavy, no finesse is required. Drop it into gear, and away you go.

Press the accelerator cautiously, and you will be surprised at the effortless power. Press it incautiously, and you will hear laughter, and smell mead, and then large drunken Vikings will appear from nowhere and pin you back in the seat.

Heading into a twisty bit? Don't bother braking. Just get off the gas and you'll be fine. Don't get off the gas, and you'll still be fine... probably.

Heading out of that curve? Don't bother downshifting. Superfluous. Just get on the "drunken-Vikings" pedal, and go.

Never for a moment did this car give me anything less than total confidence... which actually bit me when I stepped on it too hard coming out of a u-turn, hit a patch of sand on the road, and put one wheel up on the center divider. Embarrassing, but no damage done. This was a racecar, and had laughed off far worse, no doubt.

But even a total novice like me was relatively safe. The power was not only formidable, but smooth, predictable and controllable. The hydraulically-boosted brakes were powerful, soft, and smooth in application. The wide tires and stiff, roll-free suspension clung to each curve in exactly the way that a Mustang or Camaro doesn't.

I spent a good ten minutes scaring SUVs through the canyon roads of the San Fernando valley, and that was enough. I was sold. I wanted one, and soon.

Many people here have expressed an almost violent hatred for the 948. It "isn't pure". It's "a Frankenstein car". It's a "kit car". It's "ghetto". It's a "rat motor".

But it is none of these. Many engine swaps are crap, I have no doubt, but this combination is so perfect that you would never, never guess that the pieces were not designed together.

Drive one, and you will be an instant convert. I am.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Kudos to Tony for letting folks strap in and try his car out. Sounds fun!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Tony is a great guy, and has done an excellent job with the car.

I learned a lot about what I really need to do with my own swap.

I'm going to need even more tire than I thought, for example. You can't have too much tire on these things, they will use every scrap of control surface you give them to great effect.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I hear its a quite eye opening expeirence. Glad you got to get behind the wheel of a swapped car thats no a hatch job. Tonys car is fast and its deadly considering how reliable and consistant everything is.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's a believer.

One drive is all it takes.

TonyG
Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 AM
paulmezz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had an RX-7 FD with an LS1 in it... being in that was enough to convert me

I wouldn't want to sacrifice a really nice S2 though, if I was going to do it I would find a 951 with a shot motor. Just what I need, another project car. heh
Old 04-19-2009, 01:31 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

Whisper, Thanks for your post!! I too, feel that these cars are ment for the LS series of engines. I just wish that the ones who are completing the swaps would stop doing " ghetto fabulous" or " hack jobs" and start doing things right. Alais though, without the bad swaps, we would not have anything to measure the good ones by.

I also like how small the 948 is compared to a stang, or a cajunko. I mean, to be honest, those cars are pretty big, and have allot of weight to move around. Slap one of these LS engines in a 944, and you have a perfect fit.

I bet that was a VERY fun ride!!! You said you are going with more tire... How big are you planning? 315? inquiring minds want to know... can you fit a 11 or 12" wide wheel in the back of a 44??
Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

You did a good job of covering the essence and driving experience. I remember my first drive like it was yesterday, and it still brings a smile.

Welcome to the addiction
Old 04-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to not take one for a drive now.

At least until I can build up enough cash for my own, lol.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 AM
dream951
Advanced

Haha. GREAT Post. They are addicting!!! I cant get enough of mine!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
Whisper, Thanks for your post!! I too, feel that these cars are ment for the LS series of engines. I just wish that the ones who are completing the swaps would stop doing " ghetto fabulous" or " hack jobs" and start doing things right. Alais though, without the bad swaps, we would not have anything to measure the good ones by.
Yeah, I think the problem is that people think these can be done on the cheap. They can't. You don't have to absolutely get taken to the cleaners, but you'd better be prepared to drop *at least* as much coin as you would for a pristine and well-sorted turbo.

I bet that was a VERY fun ride!!!
Oh, it was. I didn't get too crazy... I knew full well that I was unused to this kind of power in so light a car, and I wanted to play it safe... but it was a blast.

You said you are going with more tire... How big are you planning? 315? inquiring minds want to know... can you fit a 11 or 12" wide wheel in the back of a 44??
Well, Tony has 11"s in the back right now, with 315s (I think), and he's planning to go wider.

After driving that car, I think I may go with 17"x9"s in front and and 17"x10"s or 17"x11"s in back. I can't think of a better recipe for disaster than a car with that much power and not enough wheel/tire width. I had realized that I'd need large rear tires to hook up, but I also now realize that it's just as important to have lots of front tire to point that power in the right direction.

When you're working the plan out on paper, you always feel like you want to get MOAR POWAH, but when you drive one, you quickly realize that power isn't the problem... you need to make sure you have enough *control*.

What this means for my plans is: basic LS1 engine (I can always mod it later), and put that coin into the wheels, brakes, and suspension instead.

When I went to Renegade's shop in Vegas, I saw a 914 with an LS7 that someone (not Renegade, they are innocent of this) had slapped two turbos on, and then (as Bob is my witness, I am not lying) a carb. It was horrible, like the high-budget Porsche version of rice... lots of useless power in a rolling deathtrap.

I don't want something that looks nice on paper. I want something that runs nice on the road.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Everyone:

My ride is open to anybody wanting to know what the LS1 setup is like. If you make the trip to me, you will get to drive my car.

And... I can promise you, that once you drive the car, you're in trouble...

There will be no question in your mind about whether or not a LS1 conversion makes sense.

All you need is 15 seconds in my car.

The rest will be history.

TonyG
Old 04-19-2009, 03:43 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Oh yeah....

You need to be no more than 6' and a 35 waist. Or else you may not be able to fit into the seat.

You've been warned....

TonyG
Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
Oh yeah....

You need to be no more than 6' and a 35 waist. Or else you may not be able to fit into the seat.

You've been warned....
Dun think the height's so much of a problem. I'm 6'2, and actually taller than Spencer when we're both sitting (long torso). But he just couldn't fit his *** into that seat.

I told him he'd have to wait and drive mine.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 AM
tinklybear
Advanced

How does california smog work for these?

Quick Reply: 948 Test Drive