Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV joint rebuilt Vs. kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV joint rebuilt Vs. kit

i have been planning on updating my CV joints for my 944, as it is making that dreaded "clob clob clob" sound. my question is that a few of our sponsors offer different solutions to service/repair the CV joints.

should i go with the CV joint kit with boots or rebuilt axles?? my car is an 86' automatic, and i cant really decide between the kit of the rebuilt axles. the axles seem like they just bolt on by swapping, but it is rebuilt, could it really be that simple ?? but the kit just replaces the joint and the boot and requires more elbow grease (literally) and some surgery. how reliable is the rebuilt axles??

pelican parts has the kit, but vertex auto has the complete axle; and swapping axles seems easier than servicing the original one with the kit. any ideas ?? thank you
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, a rebuilt means nothing more than the half shaft re-assembled with new CVs. Whether you re-assemble or someone else does is not a really big deal. Hint a tie-rod or ball joint separator can be used to get the cv off the shaft.

But, some of the really bargain outfits will rebuild the CVs too (one of these is out in LA). They pull the CV all apart and weld (build up) the worn area of the CV cluster (my name) then machine it back smooth and re-assemble. Personally I think this is going a bit far to save a buck. The ones I've seen were not machined well and I think were noisy as a result.

So, you might inquire as to whether the offer for rebuilt shafts have new CVs or something else.
Bruce
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I have always gone with the rebuilt half shafts on my cars. Yeah, they'll cost more, but I figure that for the ease and time saved by making it a simple, unbolt/bolt process is worth the extra money.

BB.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Why would anyone with an NA get anything but the $89 axle special ($119 automatic) from Parts America or other large Kragen, Autozone, ETC suppliers? New CV's, boots, ready to just bolt up, and lifetime warranty. My old 83 has had them for 2 years and seen 2 seasons in Spec 944 with the new owner and still going.

Axle Sets
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto on what Steve said. Even for a turbo, you can buy the VW joints and rebuild them yourself for cheaper than the Porsche parts.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Why would anyone with an NA get anything but the $89 axle special ($119 automatic) from Parts America or other large Kragen, Autozone, ETC suppliers? New CV's, boots, ready to just bolt up, and lifetime warranty. My old 83 has had them for 2 years and seen 2 seasons in Spec 944 with the new owner and still going.

Axle Sets
yep, have used these from autozone myself multiple times. The whole shaft is cheaper than a kit for one side of shaft (4 kits needed for 2 shafts)
I've found that once you do one side of the car, the other side will start to go south within a few months, so do both sides if you can.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

thanks guys for your replies !! =)

i was still debating whether to just do it myself with the kit because i was just bored.......but it can be tedious and a pain in the butt to replace to i want to figure in the complete axles, but it was rebuilt and i wasnt sure how reliable they are. and steve just mentioned how strong they are so i know what im going for =)

and i agree beerburner, it is easier. and we all know time is money so itll be worth the money

steve, your the man !! when im shopping for parts, i usually go after the sponsors list and see what i can find there and do a comparo. but parts America is great thank you very much
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

and don 944 LA yeaa i do plan on changing both sides (all 4 joints) thats why i was considering rebuilt Vs. the kit thank you everyone !!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Axle Sets
Actually Steve -- broke drivers side inner CV joint last race of this year at Infineon ! Just pulled it today to inspect and replace. Inner and outer cage totally disentigrated and I havent found all of the pieces.

Went with no warning just as I entered turn 1 at the end of the main straight.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JerryW
Actually Steve -- broke drivers side inner CV joint last race of this year at Infineon ! Just pulled it today to inspect and replace. Inner and outer cage totally disentigrated and I havent found all of the pieces.

Went with no warning just as I entered turn 1 at the end of the main straight.

Jerry, there you go and wreck 5 years a my 'cheap guy' credibility Do you want me to see if I can get you a free set on warranty to keep as a spare? They would need the failed axle and then replace the whole thing. I did this 3 times on my old Acura LS. The drivers side inboard CV usually fails first due to exhaust heat and rotational flex of the trans axle under load. Maybe a TA brace would help if Spec 944 rules allow it.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, there you go and wreck 5 years a my 'cheap guy' credibility Do you want me to see if I can get you a free set on warranty to keep as a spare? They would need the failed axle and then replace the whole thing. I did this 3 times on my old Acura LS. The drivers side inboard CV usually fails first due to exhaust heat and rotational flex of the trans axle under load. Maybe a TA brace would help if Spec 944 rules allow it.
Actually - that would be perfect, if you still can. I was thinking of buying one following your recommendations and for the future warranty. I've got the core . But it still maintains your "Cheap Guy" reputation that we can replace the failed part for it lifetime -- even if it fails every 2 years

Last edited by JerryW; 01-04-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spilling and clarification
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ironically I am in the middle of looking for these parts for the S2 track car. Are the Axles Steve suggest worth it? $89 per axle is a great deal versus having to spend much more.

C.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Given that they have a lifetime warranty, take 20mins to swap out and you like I run a race car (more stress), I think so.

I'd looked at the prices elsewhere and and the cost of these compare to a single rebuilt CV joint kit elsewhere.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryW
Given that they have a lifetime warranty, take 20mins to swap out and you like I run a race car (more stress), I think so.

I'd looked at the prices elsewhere and and the cost of these compare to a single rebuilt CV joint kit elsewhere.
I have...the prices are all over the place.

$139 for "new" aftermarket - 944online.com (Ian's Parts)
$233 - axle set (assuming Loebro) - Parargon Products
$262.25 - axle set (Loebro) - Pelican
$379.00 - axle set (Loebro) - Zims
$299.00 - axle set (Loebro) - Lindsey
$400+ - axle set (OE) - Suncoast

If these are worth it, I say - Buy. These may be worth it, and buy a spare.

C.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I'll see what I can do about getting you a spare axle Jerry; it's was 2004 I think. I'm using the same Kragen CV's on my 86 951 shafts for over a year now and no issues yet. They don't list the Turbo in the availability but they are the same as the NA in 86. The CV's are made by Cardone and the quality seems decent from what I can tell. The warranty is just frosting on the cake; I'm not about to pay $200 for CV's only and find out they are no better than the Cardone's and are not covered by a lifetime warranty. Keep them lubed and they will do fine.

Quick Reply: CV joint rebuilt Vs. kit