Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 944S2 have a "check engine" light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does the 944S2 have a "check engine" light?

Does anyone know if the 944S2 has a "check engine" light or some sort of light or method of telling the driver that there's some problem with the FI/ignition?

This functionality was usually added when knock sensing was added, just wondering if this holds true for the S2 (and S) as well.

Bryan

'88 plain-jane. And I mean plain.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts
I don't think it does. I've never seen it in my 2 years of owning one, at least. It has a lot of other warning lights, though.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 88' S has the (!) light.....I'd be suprised if the S2 doesn't....

Z-man???

944S Boyeee
Old 12-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you sure 944S Boyeee?

AFAIK, they first appeared in '91 on the S2's. I know mine has it.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:08 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

My 87 NA has the ! light. However, I've only seen it come on when I use the Parking Brake. I don't like to rely on the Warning lights so I usually check everything (oil level, brake fluid, power steering etc) weekly and do the more intensive stuff monthly.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If we are talking (!) light - I have it for sure!

944S Boyeee
Old 12-23-2002, 01:55 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I don't mean the "!" light that warns you about everything from your parking brake to low oil level. I mean a specific light that tells you that there's something wrong with the engine, more specifically the ignition system or fuel injection. Typically a "check engine" light can be used to blink trouble codes by jumping a connector somewhere (I've done this on Audis and Nissans). It may be used together with the "!" warning lamp, but it would be it's own separate light in the cluster.

So "check engine" lights and trouble codes and stuff like this isn't ringing any bells with the 16V guys? It's quite possible Porsche just didn't implement this stuff...at least not through a "check engine" light in the cluster.

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 12-23-2002, 02:01 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm... I think we're geting our warning lights confused here... the "Master Caution" (!) light is present on all oval-dash 944 / 968 models. It just tells you that one of the other warning (idiot) lights has illuminated.. oil pressure or level, temp, alt, etc. Think of it as a master idiot light.

The "!" is _not_ a "Check Engine" light in the way that newer OBD II compliant cars have a warning light that actually says "Check Engine," superimposed on on an outline of an engine. This one indicates an emissions-control system problem.... The only time I've had it light on the 968 was for a knock sensor malfunction.. got coolant into the wiring plug while bleeding the cooling system.

But any car that has a 'Check Engine' light should illuminate it on start-up for a bulb & function check, just like all the other idjit lights. At least, my '94 968, '95 Toyota truck & '99 Forester all do, as well as every other late-model cars I've driven. If all is well, it goes out in a few seconds.

Does the S2 have one? I dunno. I don't think so, since I think it predated OBD II compliance. But my 968 isn't technically fully compliant, and it has one....
Jim, having wasted many electrons to shed no light on the original question....
Old 12-23-2002, 02:04 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

If you are just looking to get the codes from the car I saw a post that explained how to do it at the test socket in the engine compartmen. Do a search and if you don't find anything on this board it might be on the turbo board.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

The idea behind the question is that I'm toying with the idea of swapping the 2.5 8V motor in my '88 with a 3.0 16V motor from an S2. I'm trying to think of potential problems. One might be that I need the S2 cluster as well to get the "check engine" light (if there is one). Or that the "check engine" light (if there is one) will never work because of a different instrument wiring harness. If the S2 didn't have a "check engine" light, then it's not an issue.

It's similar to the swap they did in Excellence about a year ago but I'm starting with a late 8V car instead of a 16V car.

Bryan
Old 12-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
ok, I just walked out to my car to check this becuase I was only 99.999% sure I was right. My '91 S2 has a "check engine" light. Its located at the bottom of the right side oil pressure / voltmeter gauge --> it illuminates red with just the words "check engine" no pictures of engines.

If I recall correctly, the "check engine" light on my dads' '94 968 is on the completely opposide of the cluster - upper left above the water temp and fuel gauge - illuminated orange.

From what I've heard this light is a '91 S2 specific thing
Old 12-23-2002, 07:38 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Mike Buck:
<strong>ok, I just walked out to my car to check this becuase I was only 99.999% sure I was right. My '91 S2 has a "check engine" light. Its located at the bottom of the right side oil pressure / voltmeter gauge --&gt; it illuminates red with just the words "check engine" no pictures of engines.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ditto on my '94 968... bottom of the right side dial, right under the 'air bag' light, plain red 'check engine' text... I, too, just went and checked... all three cars... '95 Toyota p/u is orange, outline of an engine, with text "check" underneath. '99 Subaru is in white, just the text 'check engine."

AFAIK, guys, (do not take this to the bank), all this light is for is to indicate a malfunction in the emissions control system. For instance both the Soobie & 'yota will light it up and set a code if the gas cap isn't fully tightened, because this defeats the evaporative emissions control. You could be totally out of oil and coolant, the engine in the process of locking up, and the check engine light might not light.

Jim, "Life's a tough sport. Wear a cup."
Old 12-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote] "Life's a tough sport. Wear a cup." <hr></blockquote>

Hehe...I could see that on a t-shirt...
Old 12-25-2002, 09:41 PM
NIkon_Man
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Bryan:
<strong>Does anyone know if the 944S2 has a "check engine" light or some sort of light or method of telling the driver that there's some problem with the FI/ignition?

This functionality was usually added when knock sensing was added, just wondering if this holds true for the S2 (and S) as well.

Bryan
Yah its that ! sign goes red.
'88 plain-jane. And I mean plain.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 09-22-2016, 05:35 PM
RavenTooth
6th Gear

Im trying to get my '91 S2 Smogged in California and it's failing only because I don't have a working check engine light. The smog book says it should have it. I thought it was just the bulb burned out but I pulled the cluster and it never had this function. I don't know what the deal is. Did some S2s have it and some didn't? Or could my cluster be from another car? (seems unlikely)

Quick Reply: Does the 944S2 have a "check engine" light?