Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fail + Low Oil Pressure = Crank Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:00 PM
ExitWound
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Fail + Low Oil Pressure = Crank Bolt

My thoughts

I'm looking at low oil pressure (<1bar at normal temp, 4bar cold).

I had my power steering mounts fail on me (see: My journal entry) due to what I could see as a wobbly power steering pulley.

I took the crank bolt off today and found this had happened to my power steering pulley:

It appears as though the power steering pulley has been worn by the crank bolt more on one side than any other. The circular hole is now oval. I'm assuming that this isn't by design, correct? I'm assuming this wear is what is creating the wobble in my power steering pulley, consequently putting a cyclical tug-n-ebb of the tension on the power steering belt, ultimately causing hideous vibration in the power steering mounts, destroying my mounting hardware. Are my assumptions safe?

And because this isn't working properly, I'm assuming my oil pressure, due to the failing of this pulley, isn't coming from a properly torqued crank bolt/washer/pulley mount.

Here's the crank bolt:

It looks to be fine but anyone else want to confirm this?

What's Happened

I reinstalled the crank bolt but left the power steering pulley off to hopefully retrieve the lost pressure. My torque wrench can only measure up to 150ft/lbs (+/- 4ft/lbs). I stuck the car in 5th gear, parking break on, blocked the wheels so that the engine wasn't going to turn. At first, it looked like it was turning with the torquing, but I managed to get at least 150ft/lbs on the bolt. I turned the notch on the wrench to 155 (slightly over its final measurement) and got another click out of it with a few more attempts. I can see inside the top timing belt cover via the air hole at the top (near the cam gear) and confirmed that the engine was turning a little, but not on every torque attempt, therefore the bolt was torquing properly. I don't have a flywheel lock unfortunately.

I put the airbox back on, and the fans, reconnected the battery and took the car around the block. Since I had the car out an hour or two ago it's running slightly warmer than cold, and I have 2bars of pressure. But when I hit the gas and accelerated up the road, the bars jumped quickly to 4, then dropped back down to 2. This isn't related to acceleration pressure, but a significant jump in the needle as if the oil pump might be slipping. It did this twice, then settled back down at 1bar.

Do I most likely need to just torque down that bolt properly? Is it likely that my oil pump mounting face is worn and I need to acquire a new pump and no amount of torquing can fix it?

What do you guys think?

This is my LAST big hurdle before I feel safe driving the car long distances!

86/944/na
Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you install the crank shaft washer in the proper direction? I've heard that it would typically cause no oil pressure, but haven't "tested" this one out myself.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fail + Low Oil Pressure = Crank Bolt