Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt retension

Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt retension

84 944 lots of miles

Had a rattle coming from the timing belt so took off the cover today. The belt was loose and was slapping against the case. So i then tightened it just a little bit to get rid of the slapping with the tensioner roller as per clarks garage. However I never set the engine to TDC. Question is do I need to it that just to retension a little. I took it for a drive and the slapping went away and it drove great.

Also do i need to keep the cover on the bottom of the engine on.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should just spin the engine to TDC (O|T on the flywheel) and check the cam mark. You could be off a tooth but you are probably good.
As for the timing covers, there are mixed feelings on the need for those (campeck!!). I would put it back on if you have it. You just don't want any road debris flying up in the belts. It's a long shot but if your luck is like mine.. you will hit a stick on your next drive and end up bending all the valves.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
gricec
Pro

Thanks for the reply. Looks like Ill have to go back in there. Thought it was a little too easy.

I didnt mean the timing belt cover. I have a cover that cover the whole bottom of the engine. I think i remember somewhere reading you could leave it off as it would help cooling.

Thanks again
Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it may help cooling marginally, it's safer to run the undertrays. They're there for a reason: not only aerodynamic benefit, but also to protect your precious engine from crap.

So to threadjack momentarily: I've discovered my balance belt is loose and slapping against the covers, just like grice, but for me it's not the Tbelt. Would the prudent thing to be to move the engine to TDC, or can I just not worry about it since it's a "lowly balance belt."
Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
eniac
Drifting

I/m not sure about on an N/A if that's what you have but on turbos, running without the undertrays makes the car run hotter and increases drag and therefore reduces highway gas mileage. They were put there for a reason. If your running too hot with that on then there's something else that needs to be addressed.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish the PO had left mine on the car (the tray, that is).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt retension